Garmin 8612xsv upgrade

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Yes...West is totally screwed up. They had 8612xsv's in stock in Maryland, New Jersey and Florida. And I mean several of them. They just don't know how to move the stuff around. But I'm good until they figure out how to screw it up again.

Re-doing the starboard facia at the helm for the new unit. Almost there.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
you have a GSD24 right? you could save $300 and get a 8612 without built-in sonar. It will run and display your GSD24 and I'm pretty sure it can also display your 943 sonar over the Garmin network.
You are in a pinch with garmin ethernet ports. Your 943 only has 1. The 8612 has 2. You need 4 ports. Radar, GSD24, and two to interconnect the 943 and 8612.

The 1243 is also an option for $1000 less. It also has 2 Garmin ethernet ports, slightly slower cpu (that matters mostly when zooming the screen) and less screen resolution but I don't think that matters on a 12" screen. I have a 1242 and its pretty damn good. Screen is actullay slightly larger than the 8612

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
True...I'm out of ports. I don't need the deep water capability of the GSD24. Its a great unit. I could get the $300~$400 back by selling it.
The 1243xsv is a great unit but I want the extra screen resolution. Both units are a snug fit in my console but they will go in and look great. I'll put pictures up.
Having the xsv option is more for future use. Not sure yet what I'll do with it.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
It will run an M260 or a B744. Might need a 6 to 8 pin adapter.

You can get a Garmin port expander. Or use your 4210..hehehe...

FYI, when connecting Garmin Marine network you might be tempted to use generic ethernet cables. They won't work,. Garmin uses a different crossover wiring.
If you get to that and need to put a new end on a cable let me know I have pinout diagrams somewhere.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Thanks. The 4210 will go up on eBay too to offset cost of new toys. M260 will go to FL this year but sold off in the spring. I want to keep it around for comparison to GT51M CHIRP. I'll keep the B744 transducer. Cables I'm good with. I just use the Garmin ones.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Frame for 8612 is complete. All mounting screws hidden. I have one piece of Starboard that I want to glue (on top behind the face) with 3M DP8500 magic adhesive. I'll let everyone know how it works for those the want to glue Starboard. I pick unit up at West Marine on Dec 17th and get my triple points ($480 worth) plus 1% cash back on my credit card.

8612 frame.jpeg

seasick

Reaction score
There is a video online describing a method for gluing Starboard. As you may know, gluing is not recommended. The video shows that by heating the starboard with a torch and then pouring water over the heated area, it's surface composition changes and certain glues will work fairly well.
I will see if I can find that video again. It was interesting.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
There is a video online describing a method for gluing Starboard. As you may know, gluing is not recommended. The video shows that by heating the starboard with a torch and then pouring water over the heated area, it's surface composition changes and certain glues will work fairly well.
I will see if I can find that video again. It was interesting.
While this is not an "approved" method it does come from King Plastics.

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
I found the video I was referring to;

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Picked unit up Friday. de-installed GSD24, 4210 and M260 transducer. Unit fits perfectly. Everything hooked up and working. Software updated with Active Captain.

Now I have:

8612xsv at helm connected to B744 transducer
943xsv in overhead box connected to GT51M-TH transducer, external SD card reader
GPS24xd GPS 1-meter accuracy, magnetic heading sensor, NMEA2000
GMR18 radar - 1st generation planning on upgrade next year
iCom M506 DSC/NMEA200
g3 Vision VUS010R for shaded relief mapping

I do like that I can connect to the boat (sitting outside my kitchen) from my I pad on the kitchen island. I can access both chart plotters as if I'm on the boat. Switching between the boat network and home network is a pain and sometimes doesn't connect on first try but eventually works. Single SD card in external reader for Active Captain card - works well for screen capture and getting the card out.

The xsv sounders on the network are neat. You can configure different displays to use transducer of your choice (CHIRP or 50/200) for traditional, split frequency and split zoom. Also has traditional CHIRP, SideVu and ClearVu.

Unit in place waiting on screws, trim and caulk.
IMG_2062.jpeg IMG_2063.jpeg IMG_2064.jpeg

iPad images of Active Captain app accessing the units. Able to use units and change configuration from iPad.
IMG_2056.jpeg IMG_2057.jpeg IMG_2059.jpeg IMG_2060.jpeg IMG_2061.jpeg

Reactions: SkunkBoat

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Nice. Now you can spend a few hours customizing screens. Since its in the boat all connected together you get all the menus on Active captain.
I found that if you don't have a unit connected, say Radar, then you don't get the menus for it and can't customize them.
I wish I could make some menu and data bar changes over the winter but I had to remove my entire hardtop for repairs so evrything is disconnected.

I have a customized Navigate/Sonar split screen with a data bar that makes sense to ME. I want to do same to Navigate/Radar split screen

I did find that running the Traditional 50/200 and CHIRP at the same time gives some minor interference in the form of streaks slowly running up or down on the CHIRP screen.
Do you have the garmin network connected so you can use either screen for either sonar or Radar?

I find I like to use the lower screen for most everything that requires menus and leave the hardtop screen just for sonar since you can see it while fishing.
Manipulating the upper unit is a real pain in the neck.

The sonars transmit whenever the MFD is powered so you might want to switch to Transmit Off or Simulate while you are playing around.

When on the Garmin network, you can shut of the whole system from one unit. So don't push the button on the other units or you will turn the system back on. that caused some confusion with some of my crew...including me...

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Everything is networked. Extremely flexible. Yes I usually run my sonar up top. The lower screen will get a workout with combo screens that you "pop" to full screen. I used the screen shots and recording a little last year. SD card is easy to get to now and I'll do more recording.

I have not tested 50/200 and CHIRP side-by-side. Curious to see what situations work better/worse. No reason to get rid of the old transducer. I have 2 xsv's for future expansion. We will see.

Many of the high end million dollar plus rigs are fishing the Furuno Omni systems. This a something on the order of a $150,000 unit plus installation is a game changer. We don't have it on "Nasty Habit" at least not yet. For now we do it the old fashion way.

I'm waiting to see what Garmin and the others come up with in my price range. We are in the "golden era" of sonar technology - more significant improvements in the last few year and it will get better and affordable.

Nasty Habit 1.JPG

Last edited:

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Finally wrapped it up. All the integration 100%. Ready for my Islamorada checkout February.

IMG_2069.jpeg IMG_2064.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: SkunkBoat

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Back in Islamorada for February. Initial testing of 8612xsv. Old unit was a 4210. Screen seems small. Some text is hard to read and doesn't appear to be a way of changing it. Fishing and navigation charts are hard to read so I have been using raster charts for navigation. So far not impressed.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I liked the 1242xsv because it has a "taller" rectangle format than the 8612 even though the 8600s have higher resolution.

You lose some screen to the touch menu (I think you can hide it?...but then you have to find it when you need it...)The 4210 had buttons.
I like the G3 Bluecharts on the 1242xsv. I think they are way better than the 4200 series charts. You have G3charts or G3 Vision? or Navionics?
You have NOAA raster charts loaded on the unit?
The 8600s are faster so zooming in on charts should be really smooth. Problem with all charting is that you can't see everything in all zoom levels. As an old timer I understand wanting to have a raster chart that reads like a paper chart but that has its drawback too.
When running offshore I split screen with "big picture" and close-in.
Make some custom screen splits so its easy to flip to different views instead of zooming way out and back in.