Garmin reactor 40 auto pilot location

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
The wires from the pump go into a “hole”. Not traceable.
the hole has to lead to somewhere, what else goes through it? can you stick a wire fish or a coat hanger through and see where it comes out?

You can also look for either the shadow drive or the alarm and try to follow those wires back. The shadow drive should be easy enough to find.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I opened the electrical panel. Three screws. Swings open. Are u suggesting to remove the whole electrical box? I’m guessing I’ll need to shut off all power to the boat.
yes, my 2007 has about 8 screws. I had to remove the entire panel In the cabin ( just above the entrance to the aft cabin) and found several components. It is also how you get to the Electronics box actuator ( up and down ram). Remove all power and the panel can hang on wire bundles.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
The GHC20 communicates with the CCU (the thing you are looking for) over the NMEA2k network.
Your GHC20 is connected to 2k because it has power which it gets from the 2k wire.

The CCU should be connected to the 2k network. Its possible it is disconnected, causing the problem.
I would doublecheck all of your 2k connections

Most Garmin chartplotters can also operate the Autopilot CCU thru the NMEA2k network.
I'm just wondering, as a troubleshooting step, if you have tried using a garmin chartplotter, if you have one.
If your chartplotter detects it on the network you will have menus for Autopilot.

The CCU also connects to the Smartpump. That cable has some pigtail wires for the alarm buzzer (a small black buzzer) and the Shadowdrive.
Have you heard the alarm? Have you seen it and can you trace that wire to the CCU? They would normally have ziptied that near the GHC20.

thepenman

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
yes, my 2007 has about 8 screws. I had to remove the entire panel In the cabin ( just above the entrance to the aft cabin) and found several components. It is also how you get to the Electronics box actuator ( up and down ram). Remove all power and the panel can hang on wire bundles.
I swung the electrical panel open again. Not an option to remove it. The electric wires behind it are attached to fiberglass. Another day of being baffled.

thepenman

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
The GHC20 communicates with the CCU (the thing you are looking for) over the NMEA2k network.
Your GHC20 is connected to 2k because it has power which it gets from the 2k wire.

The CCU should be connected to the 2k network. Its possible it is disconnected, causing the problem.
I would doublecheck all of your 2k connections

Most Garmin chartplotters can also operate the Autopilot CCU thru the NMEA2k network.
I'm just wondering, as a troubleshooting step, if you have tried using a garmin chartplotter, if you have one.
If your chartplotter detects it on the network you will have menus for Autopilot.

The CCU also connects to the Smartpump. That cable has some pigtail wires for the alarm buzzer (a small black buzzer) and the Shadowdrive.
Have you heard the alarm? Have you seen it and can you trace that wire to the CCU? They would normally have ziptied that near the GHC20.
i have heard the alarm recently. Sounds like it is in coming from inside the electronics box. The very box I can’t access. I believe the NMEA wires are also in there. Or in the display panel with the Yamaha engine “dials”. Also limited access.

thepenman

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
suggest you reread my comments
i reread. I’m not familiar with 2k wires. I’m learning. I’ll take the boat out and try asking the chart plotter to take me to a way point. But I tried using the auto pilot thru the MFD last time out. “Can’t find auto pilot”. Did I miss something else u said?

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I swung the electrical panel open again. Not an option to remove it. The electric wires behind it are attached to fiberglass. Another day of being baffled.
You can pull it out far enough to have access to behind it and it will hang from all the wires and get out of your way. There is a piece of plastic that covers the AC side of the panel that sometimes gets hung up look behind there and you can get access behind that panel there are buses and other equipment back there. At least that is the way my 2007 330 is configured. My hydraulic pump and auto pilot computer and Soundr are all behind that panel.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
i reread. I’m not familiar with 2k wires. I’m learning. I’ll take the boat out and try asking the chart plotter to take me to a way point. But I tried using the auto pilot thru the MFD last time out. “Can’t find auto pilot”. Did I miss something else u said?
ok thats a piece of information.
The MFD also does not detect the CCU.

Hopefully its a connection problem of the 2k wire to the CCU at either end (or between sections of the network)
Otherwise, its likely the CCU is shot. When you find it, it should have a green light.

I'm not familiar with a 330. All I can say is that the CCU should be low and near centerline and generally under the helm area.
There will be a 2k wire, alarm wire and possibly a Shadow drive wire going to it from the helm area and a cable coming from the pump.

https://static.garmin.com/pumac/Reactor_40_for_SmartPump_Install_EN-US.pdf

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Take a look at the diagram on page 2 of the installation manual. The ECU must be within 19 inches of the pump. It is the actual pump controller. The CCU can be anywhere down low and centerline. That is where the auto pilot gets it heading information. The only Nema 2000 path is from your helm controller and MFD‘s, (NMEA2K network) to the CCU. There is an alternative NMEA0183 connection, probably not used in your installation. The diagram and the installation instructions gives you an idea of the wiring and the communications path.

Reactions: ocdansar

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Friendly suggestion: Please post pictures of where you've looked already and how you've gained access... When you mention "electronics box" or "electrical panel" we all may be talking about different things... For example, there's the big switch panel inside the cabin and also the smaller switch panel to the right of the steering wheel.

You might be better off getting an experienced Garmin installer to figure it out and send you pictures of what they discovered. I actually had to replace my CCU to ECU cable and I decided to let my marina do the work as I didn't feel like fishing the wire etc..

Reactions: thepenman

thepenman

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I found it. A very fine gentleman that owns an 07’ suggested a few spots to look. It is in the sea cock compartment in the aft cabin floor. I thought I looked in there. It was tucked up to the port side. Thank you all for the suggestions. I look forward to the next problem I need solved from the great Grady forum.

Reactions: wspitler

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I found it. A very fine gentleman that owns an 07’ suggested a few spots to look. It is in the sea cock compartment in the aft cabin floor. I thought I looked in there. It was tucked up to the port side. Thank you all for the suggestions. I look forward to the next problem I need solved from the great Grady forum.

Hmm - that's a pretty wet spot. You may consider moving it, especially if it's been damaged by water.

thepenman

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Hmm - that's a pretty wet spot. You may consider moving it, especially if it's been damaged by water.
probably above my Pay grade. New one arrives Wednesday. But I’ll think about it after I remove the old one and inspect it. But I think it’s been in there several years. Not a wet area. It’s off the bottom. Away from where water collects from the sea cocks. How long should/can these auto pilot reactor 40’s last?

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

same. might want to think about relocating into the locker next to that area. my Autocomp did not experience any interference in there (mounted up at top of compartment). good luck, ron

Reactions: SkunkBoat

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
How did you determine the CCU was bad? Could be the cabling. Also I have had a RayMarine heading sensor in that same location since new in my 07 so that area remains mostly dry. Good luck!

thepenman

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
How did you determine the CCU was bad? Could be the cabling. Also I have had a RayMarine heading sensor in that same location since new in my 07 so that area remains mostly dry. Good luck!
Flashing amber/orange light in the ccu. Garmin said that’s the tell tale.

Reactions: wspitler