Gemlux Bluewater bases on GW335

capeman

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
I am considering purchasing Gemlux bluewater bases for my GW335 (2019). Does anyone know if I would have the required clearances? Boat is in storage and 1000 miles away.. so can't go see for myself I am worried that the mount is very close to the hardtop structure. See clearances diagram for the bases below. Appreciate the assistance.

Screenshot 2023-04-04 at 3.10.52 PM.png

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I installed the GemLux Deluxe bases last year and used them in Florida this year. They were awesome! They are low but if far enough outboard they are fine. You really should have someone weld backing plate to hardtop. Lots of stress without it. They may be close to the rocket launchers but they are usually tilted up.

Follow my post:

Base Port.jpeg Base Star.jpeg IMG_2801.jpeg

Last edited:

capeman

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
I installed the GemLux Deluxe bases last year and used them in Florida this year. They were awesome! They are low but if far enough outboard they are fine. You really should have someone weld backing plate to hardtop. Lots of stress without it. They may be close to the rocket launchers but they are usually tilted up.

Follow my post:

View attachment 28998 View attachment 28999 View attachment 29000

Thanks for the information and pics! Great setup! I spoke with my GW dealer late yesterday and they informed me that the Gemlux Bluewater bases will not work on my GW335. Really disappointed as they are great bases. However, they mentioned that the GemLux Deluxe bases would work. I want to run 22' poles, so likely can't go with the Deluxe bases. Have to do more research to confirm.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Thanks for the information and pics! Great setup! I spoke with my GW dealer late yesterday and they informed me that the Gemlux Bluewater bases will not work on my GW335. Really disappointed as they are great bases. However, they mentioned that the GemLux Deluxe bases would work. I want to run 22' poles, so likely can't go with the Deluxe bases. Have to do more research to confirm.
Curious why the dealer said they wouldn't work.

capeman

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
Curious why the dealer said they wouldn't work.
The rotating handle requires 5.25" from the center of the base all around. The hardtop mount bracket is too close to the hardtop structure and there will not rotate. I am going to get the specs on the deluxe version.. assuming its less that 5.25". Does anyone have the deluxe specs to share?

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Thanks.. I didn't see the links as they kinda blend into the site. So Deluxe crank needs 3.75" vs 5.25" for Bluewater.. Now wondering if I can run 20"-22" poles on the deluxe bases.
I set my cranks a little tight (in/out) but they are ok. I miscalculated and wanted them in another inch. But it really isn't a problem.

You may have to "help" the riggers out and back by grabbing the halyards. Again its not a big deal. I run equal length rigger halyards - works great for a number of reasons. Look at my halyard setup.

If you have the welded backing plated but tolerances are tight it may be ok. Mine are tight but without the enclosure being up during the warm weather its fine.

Maybe 22' carbon fiber. I run 15' aluminum.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Call the GemLux crew.

The stainless rigger base are so much better than the other crap out there. GemLux will make it right!

Look carefully at my installation. I used the GemLux backing plates.. I also used bushing to insulate the rigger bases from the aluminum tower. Highly recommended, I think you will be fine but you may need to carbon fiber the riggers due to the length.

Last edited:

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Thanks.. I didn't see the links as they kinda blend into the site. So Deluxe crank needs 3.75" vs 5.25" for Bluewater.. Now wondering if I can run 20"-22" poles on the deluxe bases.
the deluxe are 1.5" base. Their longest riggers in that size are 18'. I doubt yuo'll find 22' poles with 1.5" bases. You have a dual console so your top is wide. The 18'ers will get you out there.

If you really need 22'ers, consider Lee wishbones or Jrs since you aren't walking around the outside anyways.

capeman

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
I connected with Wes at Marsh Tacky. Great guy and super helpful. He told me that GW recently moved away from Taco to GemLux bases as their primary vendor. The challenge with that vendor move is that GW designed the 335 around the Taco mount. His recommendation was to go w/ the Taco 390 base and then I can pair it with 20-22' poles.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I went with the GemLux bases because they are stainless. The aluminum ones don’t look so good after a while. There is a reason GW switched.

If you’re prepared to spend on top of the line riggers and bases what would have to be done/cost to get it the mounting the way you want?

Last edited:

capeman

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
I went with the GemLux bases because they are stainless. The aluminum ones don’t look so good after a while. There is a reason GW switched.

If you’re prepared to spend on top of the line riggers and bases what would have to be done/cost to get it the mounting the way you want?

The main issue I am struggling with is the built in hardtop mounting plates. The placement was based on Taco bases for my GW335/2019. As I understand it, GW is redesigning the mounts for GemLux on new builds at some point. I am therefore restricted on bases that will fit the form factor I have unless I have the existing mounts removed and repositioned. Not an easy task (welding, powder coat ,etc) and probably would cost me more than purchasing bases 2x-3x.

At this point, I am just trying to find bases that will function properly w/ 22' poles. Options seemingly are limited.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Too much work to move them. Ask GW exactly what fits!

freedom-335-grady-white-33-foot-dual-console-hardtop.jpeg

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I did.. and they directed me initially to GemLux Deluxe bases given their relatively new business relationship. I am asking a few other folks at the dealership about what would work.
GemLux told me that many of the rigger bases have standard mounting. Too bad you can't get a GemLux Deluxe and test fit it. But that won't help you with 22' riggers with larger bases. Well - gook luck!

capeman

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
GemLux told me that many of the rigger bases have standard mounting. Too bad you can't get a GemLux Deluxe and test fit it. But that won't help you with 22' riggers with larger bases. Well - gook luck!

Quick update. I worked with Wes @ Marsh Tacky and he was able to point me in the direction of Taco 390 bases for my GW335. The GW335 was designed to support the Taco 380, and now 390. So, I went with 390s and 22' fixed Marsh Tacky poles. Now need them to ship and get them installed. Appreciate everyones help here! Thank you.