Outrigger poles what length ??

Pat Hurley

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Might purchase new poles for the Taco hardtop mounted bases. Personally I like one piece solid poles for many reasons. Was contemplating going with 20’ carbon fiber Lees with the built in rollers. I currently have the Taco aluminum collapsible four piece units that came with the boat. Taco does make some 18’ 3piece collapsible carbon fiber also which could be a second option. They also come with rollers attached.

Anyone here with a Marlin ? What do you have and what length do you use ?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I don't think one piece 20'ers are a good idea, especially on a hardtop. Installing and rigging would be a bitch. How do you stow them? Up? Back? Don't they bounce around like all hell?

On wishbones they might make sense since they stow straight up and out of the way and clip in 1/3 way up.
Also, you tend to rig them on the dock at the beginning of the season and leave them up.
But how do you get 20' one piece to the boat? I think in that case they are better with spreader wires to stiffen them.

Unless you need stiff riggers for towing dredges, I don't see the benefit of switching to (Heavy Duty) carbon fiber from what you have.
You can add rollers to what you have. They really helped on my riggers https://www.greatgrady.com/threads/outrigger-pulleys-on-lee-jrs.30990/

Fishtales

Reaction score
I went with telescoping 15's. I didn't have the hardtop welded supports and didn't want to overstress. If you fish with em a lot, the sold ones are great. If not as much, the telescoping ones get out of the way real nice.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
This is on my 27' Islander. 15' Rupp Aluminum collapsable with GemLux Deluxe bases. The riggers in this position extend about 3' past the engines that are trimmed down. Double rigged Rupp haylard lock (consider R&R's), equal length lines with double roller at tip and return. Short shock cord to store rigger lines when not in use wrapped around bases. When using they clip into tension cords on the gunnel which has a hidden cam lock to tension. Easy to setup and ability to walk around without climbing over outrigger. Equal length rigger lines have better geometry - short (when clipped up) doesn't have to go around long. Also allows different rigger elevations without affecting the line tension of short/long. When stowed you are not getting clotheslined getting in and out of the boat.

Where are your bases? Are they properly backed to handle the stress of longer riggers?

IMG_2801.jpeg

Reactions: Pat Hurley

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Same as fishtales,,, went with the 15' collapsible Taco's in Taco Grand Slam 280 bases on the hardtop with backing plates. For the occasional use that I need them, these work for me.

20220617_205839.jpg20220616_211017.jpg20220616_210947.jpg

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Taco telescoping 15ft on my 305 express.

Pat Hurley

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
15’ Taco’s in Aluminum is what came with the boat. Not enough of a spread for my tastes. Last boat I had 20’s triple rigged. Prior to that we had double spreader 28’ trip rigged on my diesel express.
Buddy of mine is using 20’ Taco CF trip rigged and likes those on his 31’ Reg. His are telescoping however they tend to vacuum lock when telescoping. That’s something I’d like to avoid. Btw … My bases do have backing plates.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Are those backing plates attached to the aluminum tower? Mine were backed but not attached. Repaired everything last summer. Installed new backing plates and bases. Hardtop honeycomb core cut out and replaced with Coosa board..

Rigger Base 3.jpeg Base Port.jpeg

Pat Hurley

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
This is on my 27' Islander. 15' Rupp Aluminum collapsable with GemLux Deluxe bases. The riggers in this position extend about 3' past the engines that are trimmed down. Double rigged Rupp haylard lock (consider R&R's), equal length lines with double roller at tip and return. Short shock cord to store rigger lines when not in use wrapped around bases. When using they clip into tension cords on the gunnel which has a hidden cam lock to tension. Easy to setup and ability to walk around without climbing over outrigger. Equal length rigger lines have better geometry - short (when clipped up) doesn't have to go around long. Also allows different rigger elevations without affecting the line tension of short/long. When stowed you are not getting clotheslined getting in and out of the boat.

Where are your bases? Are they properly backed to handle the stress of longer riggers?

View attachment 28612
Do you run with them in that position ?

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd go with the 20s especially if the plates are there.

brdawg2001

Reaction score
I just do not understand the collapsible thing...for another day...I went with 18 foot aluminum Rupp and like them much better than 15...I can remove mine in 2 min and they are not hard to store....faster to wipe down as well...the povermo method of adjusting halyard tension simply works the best....I run 70 miles offshore and fish hard.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
...the povermo method of adjusting halyard tension simply works the best....
Different strokes...I'm rigged the same way as the top tournament boats in CM and OC.

400 lb LP Prime Line mono for halyard. UV breaks cord down. Mono inexpensive and replace every other year.
Black's clips - If clipped on wrong side line can pull tight around Aftco rollers and fish can bend rigger. Yes it has happened several times to us before switching.
No snap swivel hardware - potential line snag. Black's clip with barrel crimp inside to position clip on halyard.
Double rollers at top and bottom rigger eye. Double Rupp halyard lock. We may switch to GemLox - Rupp's wear out quickly.
We gave up the sliding swivel for adjustment years ago. Tension with cord thru gunnel to cam lock.
The only thing I do different from the big boat is equal length rigger lines instead of a short/long.

This is on my 27' Islander. 15' Rupp Aluminum collapsable with GemLux Deluxe bases. The riggers in this position extend about 3' past the engines that are trimmed down. Double rigged Rupp haylard lock (consider GemLox), equal length lines with double roller at tip and return. Short shock cord to store rigger lines when not in use wrapped around bases. When using they clip into tension cords on the gunnel which has a hidden cam lock to tension. Easy to setup and ability to walk around without climbing over outrigger. Equal length rigger lines have better geometry - short (when clipped up) doesn't have to go around long. Also allows different rigger elevations without affecting the line tension of short/long. When stowed you are not getting clotheslined getting in and out of the boat.

Last edited: