Generator help

Family Tradition Fishing

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have a 2005 Marlin with FP 4.2 generator. Started the generator today and I have water and exhaust coming out of a box in the bilge. I'm not exactly sure what the box is called but I know the exhaust and water both exit the boat through this box. I looked to see if it was a cracked hose but the water and exhaust were coming out the back of the box where it was mounted. Any help is greatly appreciated. If i need to post more details I'll gladly answer any questions. I should add this box is not attached to the generator.

Fishtales

Reaction score
The manual shows two potentials. The water lock I believe is a check valve and should be closest to the generator. The Silencer (aka muffler) is a stock item to mitigate noise. Not sure if GW uses the latter or a special one. Hope that helps.

Family Tradition Fishing

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thank you Fishtales I was thinking silencer/muffler but a quick Google search produced nothing for sale. I guess I'll need to look deeper or call the dealer. Thanks again for the reply.

Fishtales

Reaction score
send an email to parts@fischerpander.com a guy named Josh helped me a few years back, not sure he is still with them.
If you don't have the manual ask them or try google "Marine Generator Panda PMS 4200 FCB". There is a parts list as well. Their repair center is in FL.
1-954-4622800.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Sorry no info in the manual or parts list that I have for the muffler...

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Is this muffler made of fiberglass? If so, there's a good chance it can be easily fixed.

Does it have a drain hole (normally plugged for operation... sometimes with a screw)? If so, maybe it was left open after winterization or has come loose.

Family Tradition Fishing

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Fishtales, you're the man... The low profile muffler looks almost identical. The only difference I can see is the outlet exits the top and the one I currently have exits the side. I'll order that one and have it fixed in no time. Many thanks for the help.

Dennis I live down in Florida so I dont really winterize the boat. Actually the winter is my favorite time to fish. We get a pretty solid run of Wahoo up here in NE Florida. Thanks for the reply though. This forum is a super resource.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Still worthwhile to check to see if you have a drain that has come loose. Stick your phone down there, or use a mirror on a stick, if you can't see it normally.

But... is it fiberglass? Easy/cheap to fix.

Family Tradition Fishing

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Dennis I'm fairly certain its metal and I dont think it could be a plug. The water/exhaust are coming out the back of the silencer which is sandwiched against a structure in the bilge. I will check for a plug and the material it's made of when I pull it out this weekend. Thank you for the input. I will report back once I get this resolved.

Family Tradition Fishing

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Just a quick update. Ended up emailing GW and they put me in contact with Fisher Panda. Super helpful on both ends, I'm impressed with the customer service so far. I ordered a replacement from FP and it was here in 3 days. The new muffler/silencer is made of fiberglass and cylindrical instead of rectangular, similar in size with minimal modifications to mount it. I looked hard at going with the marine warehouse direct replacement but decided to go with the FP replacement because they said they'd had issues with the direct replacement hence why they changed design. I'll be installing next Friday and will send pics when done. Thanks again to Fishtales and Dennis for all your help.