Giant Bluefin on Marlin

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
My son and I had a great time landing this 101" BFT on out Marlin. if the tuna door were about 3" wider it would have slid right in. however with a block and tackle we quickly pulled his head up through. jonny.jpg

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That's awesome!!

How long was the fight?

Thanks for posting.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
just a little over an hour. My boy did great- proud papa !

Reactions: leeccoll

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
shhhhhhhh.....looks like a Bigeye to me.......

BFT Recreational Trophy Fishery CLOSING May 21, 2020
NMFS is closing the Atlantic bluefin tuna (BFT) Angling category fishery for large medium and giant "trophy" BFT (measuring 73" or greater) in the northern area (north of Great Egg Inlet, NJ) effective 11:30 p.m. local time, May 21, 2020, through December 31, 2020. The intent of this closure is to prevent further overharvest of the Angling category northern area trophy BFT subquota. NMFS closed the 2020 Angling category trophy fishery for the southern area and Gulf of Mexico effective February 20 and April 16, respectively. Therefore, as of May 21, 2020, the Angling category trophy BFT fishery is closed in all areas for 2020. Fishermen may catch and release or tag and release BFT of all sizes, subject to the requirements of HMS catch-and-release and tag-and-release programs. NMFS regulations require that all BFT that are released be handled in a manner that will maximize their survival, and without removing the fish from the water. For additional information on safe handling, see the “Careful Catch and Release” brochure available at www.nmfs.noaa.gov/sfa/hms/. HMS Charter/Headboat and Angling category vessel owners are required to report the catch of all BFT retained or discarded dead, within 24 hours of the landing(s) or end of each trip, by accessing hmspermits.noaa.gov, using the HMS Catch Reporting App, or calling (888) 872-8862 (Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. until 4:30 p.m.).

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Great catch!! I've been working hard to get my Pacific Bluefin this year to no avail... still out there grinding though! Bluefin fever is terrible thing..

Captain TJ

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Nice fish! We've heard a few guys this year catching bluefin off the WA coast which is not common. So rare that we don't even have rules for them so they get treated the same as Albacore. That would be fun.

Meanwhile

Reaction score
I've only had a schoolie BFT caught on my Marlin. It would be a dream to catch one that size. Mostly albacore off Oregon. Few Dorado and yellow tail Jack's but those are infrequent.

Great catch.