Good bumpers?

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I do not think the boat has solid bumpers, to protect the sides. I doubt the "standard" bumpers at Academy will be strong enough.

How many would you get and which ones? Trying to not take up too much room, but protecting the boat is worth doing right.

Thanks

Russ

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
They're called "fenders"... git 'yer terminology correct! :)

Taylor Made fenders have been around for decades and are guaranteed for life. Excellent track record - we sell them at the shop and I can't think of the last time one came back. Two per side is plenty for that size boat.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
They're called "fenders"... git 'yer terminology correct! :)

Taylor Made fenders have been around for decades and are guaranteed for life. Excellent track record - we sell them at the shop and I can't think of the last time one came back. Two per side is plenty for that size boat.

Yer killin me, Smalls..

Lol.. I know.. I just have not had enough coffee today, sorry. Hell, I think this was the first time I was able to read a thread lol.. slow start today

Oh, and while yer correctin people, Mr Fender.. lol .. post a dadgum link to your place so a fella can order some!

Will be after I get the boat back to see if some are stuffed in the cubbys.. heh, but do not think there are any.

R

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I have said it before ...bumpers are for pontoon boaters and lake people. I have also said I use bumpers to ward off other boaters. If you tie a few bumpers to your stern and midship cleats and let them fly around , other boats will avoid you thinking you are novice and or first day on the water.

It's like a rattle on a rattle snake, stay away. In nature this mimic behavior or morph mimic works well. The hog nose snake will mimic a rattle snake by flattening it's head and shaking it's tail. The scarlet king snake mimics the deadly coral snake. On the lake I mimic the people renting pontoon boats. So far nobody gets near me except NC Fish and Wildlife. Lol. Bumpers are your friend. Taylor made are great bumpers. If you go to West Marine you will find them under fenders. The term fender cones from the verb or action to fend off. The bumper method I described above works best with long rope ( not line, another nautical thingy similar to rope) so the bumpers either skip off the water or bounce around the side of the boat as you tool down the water.

Reactions: RussGW270

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have said it before ...bumpers are for pontoon boaters and lake people. I have also said I use bumpers to ward off other boaters. If you tie a few bumpers to your stern and midship cleats and let them fly around , other boats will avoid you thinking you are novice and or first day on the water.

It's like a rattle on a rattle snake, stay away. In nature this mimic behavior or morph mimic works well. The hog nose snake will mimic a rattle snake by flattening it's head and shaking it's tail. The scarlet king snake mimics the deadly coral snake. On the lake I mimic the people renting pontoon boats. So far nobody gets near me except NC Fish and Wildlife. Lol. Bumpers are your friend. Taylor made are great bumpers. If you go to West Marine you will find them under fenders. The term fender cones from the verb or action to fend off. The bumper method I described above works best with long rope ( not line, another nautical thingy similar to rope) so the bumpers either skip off the water or bounce around the side of the boat as you tool down the water.

Hell, I'll call 'em a steak if it makes people happy .. lol.. I am easy.

I just read something that someone said there are weight differences. Not sure, never really thought about it much as my heaviest boat to date was like 3500lbs, so... heh. figured to make sure to get the right ones for this heavy of a boat.

They may have been full of it, so figured to ask you GW experts;)

Thanks!

Russ

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I buy what I consider a medium size. They are maybe 18-24 inches long and maybe 6 inches in diameter I am guessing. They make bigger ones. It the bigger the fender the more they can compress and such. I say if you keep your boat in the water or boat where it's busy and a lot of wake traffic, then get the bigger size . This way you create space between your hull and the dock to absorb the energy of bigger wakes and such.

Reactions: Toddwein

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Eh, I try to stay away from folks.. heh... I am never in a hurry, so, guess I will look for the same.

Thanks Smokey

Dennis.. I was only teasing ya ;) I always appreciate the input :)

Russ

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Dennis.. I was only teasing ya ;) I always appreciate the input :)

Russ
No worries - I knew you were only teasing :)

I appreciate the thought, of course, but we're an 'ol fashioned brick-n-mortar store and are not setup for online ordering. Besides, by the time you paid for shipping, it would be less expensive to just get them locally. Plus, it's good to support your local businesses.

Take a look here: http://www.taylormadeproducts.com/cgi-bin/catalog.pl?item_id=3

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I figured as much, but I always try to support the folks that support me. Outside of that, I too like supporting the local businesses.

Drat.... looks like the nice dark blue ones are way more expensive lol

Thanks again!
Russ

Last edited:

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yo Smoky, yes you made me laugh with your post of flopping and dragging fenders. It has been a pet peeve of mine for years. See beautifully deigned boats heading out of the marina with those appendages flopping along side or dragging in the water. Always hoping they will be taken onboard but NO, this is the way they travel. Too lazy to pull them up, or possible expecting contact with another vessel out somewhere on the brine. Does nothing for the streamline design of the vessel, much to my dismay. I fee so much better now! Cheers, trapper

RobertHan

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 205
You won't be sorry buying Polyform F boat fenders. They are a little more money than some others, but that's because you get what you pay. These are great quality and happy to come in a color that will match my boat. I had a hard time figuring out which size to buy for our Parti Kraft Pontoon and the G3's are perfect. I would suggest sticking with G3's if you have a 21' pontoon like myself. Anything bigger, would have been way too bulky.

Vintagercr

Reaction score
Hey there Folks,

I'm the new guy on the block... Currently looking at a 330 Express, hopefully the deal goes through.

Regarding fenders, although they are a bit pricey but we've used the Aere fenders on our 25 ton sailboat for the last 20+ years and they are still going strong. What we like about them is you can deflate them and they store real easy. I have no affiliation with the company just a very happy customer!

jillyrubyjane

Reaction score
Model
Dolphin
attwood 93532-1 dock fender, I bought two of these to supplement the other bumpers on the dock. After a full season they don't show any signs of wear from my 23' boat rubbing/bumping them all summer from other boat traffic. Putting them on the dock was easy enough.

Last edited:
O

oliver305

Taylor Made Products is great. This boat fender comes with a contoured shape which provides a great fit to the usual rounded shape of all pontoon boats. This is indeed a dock edge pontoon fender the provides a perfect hug to the deck of the boat. This will protect the boat surface from any damage or scratches during an unintentional collision.

garyroe

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I use VINGLI Ribbed Boat Fender. This is the second item that I ordered from Vingli the other was a pool cover roll up wheel. Both products where of very high quality. If I need a product and Vingli makes one I will buy it. Its refreshing to buy something and it is just like you hoped. The inflatable bumpers are thick and allows you to put as much or little air for your needs. The color of the bumpers were a deep blue that looks great on my white pontoon.

Last edited:

Topjimmy

Reaction score
I will put a plug in for the Polyform Fenders my buddy had worked there for 25 years and they make a high quality product and stand behind them of course I use them on my boat and they have held up excellent for many years and also made In the U.S.A out here on the West coast and Alaska they are the ones Commercial Boats use

Last edited:

Punchline Cap

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
Buy an inflation needle that is used to fill basketballs, footballs, etc, to re inflate them in the spring for the new season.