GPS

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I need to update my GPS/fishfinder and would like input from fellow GW owners as to which would be the most bang for the buck.
I have approx. $1000.00 to spend.
I have to consider the small size of the electronics box on my voyager.
I have only had the boat about 2 months and I have a lowarnce 350 or 450 in place now. This unit was probably placed on the boat orig. in 1996.
All advise appreciated.

Blackbird

Reaction score
The 2 big players are Garmin and Lowrance. Personal opinion is they are pretty comparable. Garmin is a little easier to figure out w/o reading the instruction manual but Lowrance is pretty simple too. I'd recommend going to a full service store like West Marine where they have displays and playing with all. See which you like best and then factor in cost. Once you have one, you'll very likely develop some product loyalty and tend to stick with the same again. They both make good equipment. Good luck.

JJB

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I hae 2 a Lowrance and Furuno- Both work very good, I am partial to the furuno because of the larger screen. Both are very user freindly

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have a Garmin 4208 inside the radio box of my 258 - same radio box as yours, I believe. Fits nicely. You may be able to find a used or refurbished for around $1,000.

Also, I saw another 258 with a Garmin 3210 crammed in there. Not much room to spare, but it fit. I noticed that BOE Marine (on THT) had 3210 bundle packages (GPS, sonar and weather) on sale for $1,600. Seemed like a great price to me.

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks to all for the advice.
I am limited on space to mount the GPS/plotter but I want to get the largest screen my budget will afford and that will fit the box.
I've heard the garmin is easy to operate and I have a garmin in my truck and it is very simple to operate.
Also I have a lowarence in my boat and it is a little complicated but it is also older and they may be easier to operate now.

catch22

Reaction score
I also prefer Garmin.

Even with the newer Lowrance models, when it comes to ease of operation and chart readability, I think Garmin wins hands down. Very user-friendly.

Reliability is another issue. It was rare to have a problem with a newer Garmin, and any time I had to contact them, it was always quicky resolved.

I had several serious issues with different Lowrance products, (some were brand new) and their service was terrible. On hold for 45 minutes to an hour, countless times. Once you finally get through, it's a crap shoot. You might get someone who's knowledgeable... then again, you might not. One time, after explaining a long detailed problem, the tech had to go and discuss it with someone else and get back to me. I had one tech send me a specific, so called "up date" to correct a problem. It turned out to be the wrong file and smoked my depth finder. They had to send me a new replacement, which required a temporary full payment, even though(they admitted) it was their fualt! :evil:

I do like the performance of thier fish finders, (when they work :lol: ) again.. the reliability scares me.

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks catch 22
Good post and heads up on lowrance support.
Not knowing much about GPS/Chart plotter I can tell you when I called Garmin about a problem with their unit in my truck I got execelent service
and repair done over the phone with a complete reset that support stepped me through.

markb8608

Reaction score
Garmin or Lowrance

hi
I have both. A garmin 545s and a lowrance 515cdf. Both new product line and purchased in 2008. Initially, I was not impressed with $500 lowrance fishfinder unit because I had to enlarge to almost a 1&1/2 inch hole in transom to accommodate the plug that goes in behind the unit on helm . That sucked. But I bought the lowrance because I had NEMA 2000- network on my tournament. The Lowrance was NEMA 2000 compatible.
I bought the boat with a 10 year old Garmin GPS. Believe it or not the Garmin website still had a software upate available. I a software person by trade so that really impressed me. Whereas Lowrance was less than year old and it became discontinued and unsupported in less than a year.
Personally, I would never by any electronics unless firmware or software updates were readily available. The Garmin Website and software are remarkable for a 10 year old product.
Good news, as of this summer, Garmin units are now NEMA 2000 compatible. Therefore,I will never purchase another Lowrance unit again since they don't really support software or maintain older unit support .
Kind regards
Mark

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Mark .
It is good to know that Garmin still has updates after all the years.
My mind is made up and I am going with a Garmin. I also talked to a person that sells Lowarance and Garmin and he said the Garmin is much more user friendly.

fairhopefisher

Reaction score
I recently installed a Garmin 4208 on my seafarer. This was larger than box could accomodate so created flush mount with starboard and got rid of the box. Definitely opens up space and gives a cleaner look. Let me know if you would like to see any pics.

bigk23surf

Reaction score
fairhopefisher said:
I recently installed a Garmin 4208 on my seafarer. This was larger than box could accomodate so created flush mount with starboard and got rid of the box. Definitely opens up space and gives a cleaner look. Let me know if you would like to see any pics.

Can you post some pics, I'm thinking about putting the same unit in my Seafarer.

ahill

Reaction score
I have 2 Garmin units. The only problem is that you are limited to Garmin Charting which I have found is inferior to Navionics and others.
I agree with the ease of use. Each of my units though different follows the same use protocols and is user friendly.

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
I installed the Lowrance LMS 525C DF about a year ago keeping an older LMS 160 as a backup. The 160 still functions perfectly and I love the 525 as it always helps me and my 1987 254 Sailfish come home with a full fish box. From all the post it appears that the Garmins are probably the way to go.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I have a Garmin 4208 in my 2008 Seafarer. It is mounted on the gimble inside the ebox and there is ample room behind it for the GPS sounder module and network stuff Garmin now uses.

I purchased the G2 Vision charts for the rivers and lakes southeastern US and will be buying the chart set next year for the places we regularly fish offshore in Florida.

Garmin has always provided excellent support with folks right here in the US. I like the 4208 and other Garmin products we have or currently own included the GPS Map 178 C (it was all that would fit on my old 192), GPS Map 478 (truck/boat w/ XM weather package), GPS Map 76 CS handheld (hiking and in the ditch bag) and my old Etrex. All have served me well.

fairhopefisher

Reaction score
pictures I hope

bigk23surf said:
fairhopefisher said:

Can you post some pics, I'm thinking about putting the same unit in my Seafarer.

http://picasaweb.google.com/hhapworth/A ... 0599122418
http://picasaweb.google.com/hhapworth/Aug22009#[/img]

bigk23surf

Reaction score
Re: pictures I hope

fairhopefisher said:
bigk23surf said:
fairhopefisher said:

http://picasaweb.google.com/hhapworth/A ... 0599122418
http://picasaweb.google.com/hhapworth/Aug22009#[/img]

That looks good, I have the older style where the electronics box is where your gauges are. Not sure if I can fit it there.

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That looks great
My son ownes an engraving shop and I'm sure he can cut me out a piece of plastic to mount mine likethe one you have.
thanks for sending the pics.

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
GPS bundle

Looks like I need to spend more than 1000.00 can anyone tell me if buying the garmin 4208 would I be better off buying the bundle package?

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you go with the 4208 and want/need fishfinder capabilities you'll need to purchase the sounder module and transducer. You can usually save some money when you purchase a package deal although with the 4208 it usually includes the satellite weather module which you may or may not need.