Grady 208 Bow Rail Diameter?

MarineBob

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Man, I only used the word "Vernier" as a general reference for the OP since he probably isn't familiar with this stuff and if I just said "caliper", he might think I was referring to a braking system. I didn't realize it would cause such a stir! :)
I guess I agree with you. My only itch is during my working days any caliper was generally referred to as a vernier, when some were dial type, others (just coming in those days) were digital. I suppose back when all that was available were vernier calipers. Probably beat this topic to death and back...LOL

Reactions: enfish

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Man, I only used the word "Vernier" as a general reference for the OP since he probably isn't familiar with this stuff and if I just said "caliper", he might think I was referring to a braking system. I didn't realize it would cause such a stir! :)
Yeah that was my bad, sorry! Haha.

Mark DV

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Paper measure 2.75. Divide by 3.14 equals .875. Bow rail diameter is 7/8th of an inch. Sounds right to me.

MarineBob

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I remember grade school when we had to memorize those fractions and decimals. Not so much these days.

MarineBob

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Who wudda thought a question about rails could be soooooooo interesting? Here's an unrelated tid bit. My wife got a rash, had problems with it being brought under control, ended up with the zillion dot things on her back to test for allergies. Turns out she gets a pretty strong reaction to nickel. Doctor quizzed her a lot about her wrist/lower arm where there was a persistent rash. Right where you wear a watch, for example. Wife never wears watch of any type. On and on..... well, the other day we were out fishing and as she sat in the 'mates' seat, she put her hand up on the grab rail, right where her wrist contacts the rail is where the rash is...... totally unrelated to the size of the rail, but I assume the grab bar is 316SS with lots of nickel.

seasick

Reaction score
Great story. What was the width of the rash? With that info we can deduce the handrail diameter:)

MarineBob

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Well, the rash spread a bit and I don't think the diameter was close to two inches. But if you want another good story we can go back about 30 years when I chainsawed some not-yet-leafed-out poison ivy vines on a dead tree and not thinking. My rash got onto my wife's leg, doctor gave her steroids and she quickly found out she gets a pretty vicious reaction to those pills. I was not popular after that incident......there is probably a moral to the story somewhere but I can't figure it out.

seasick

Reaction score
The moral is they you need to make better RASH judgements.