Grady 228 Repower

bFransen

Reaction score
About to repower my 228. Replacing the Yamaha with the same engine is out of the question due to the limited supply right now.

Do any current posters have experience with Suzuki or Honda powered engines? I've seen a number of posters from years past, but it doesn't appear they have been online for a number of years.

Suzuki's 250ap has a water inlet in front of the gear case. Anyone know if the lower water inlet ends up being under water when tilted up? I'm worrying about locking myself into a trailer/lift only setup.

Honda 250 looks similar to the f225, but a little heavier and of course more HP. There is a clip youtube of a water trial where the poster mentions needing to move the engine up a hole. Anyone with first hand experience?

Thanks.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Have you considered an ETEC G2? Those who have them seem to swear by them.

bFransen

Reaction score
Parthery said:

The ETEC looks good, but there aren't a lot of dealers my way and they are expensive. I'll probably take a ride over to the local dealer tomorrow, but I'm doubtful that they are super affordable.

The Suzuki dealer said that he hasn't heard anyone worried about the front of the gear case sitting in the water. Am I worrying about something that no one else worries about?

bFransen

Reaction score
Here's a picture of the lower unit with water intakes. The intake in front of the gear case will very likely be impossible to get out of the water on a Grady.

Maybe it can be treated with outboard paint and all is fine?

Attachments

• Suzuki water inlet.png
    Suzuki water inlet.png
    298.4 KB · Views: 1,226

Fishtales

Reaction score
Parthery said:

X2. The reports are solid and they look pretty good on a GW if you ask me. There is a recent thread on this board with a link to THT will solid testamonials.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm going to add my vote for a G2 also. I've got a 228 and will very possibly go with a 250 HO G2 which is closer to 275 HP. Never have a issue of making oil that seems to plague the 250-350 Yamaha. Can't deny the fuel efficiency and torque that the G2 has as well as the weight. I also work for a Evinrude dealer so service is not an issue. The more I'm around the G2, the more I'm liking them.

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You didn't mention what year and if you currently have a 2-stroke, but if it's an older hull with a 2-stroke, I'd recommend trying to match the weight. I repowered an older 20' whaler with an Etec G1 and couldn't' be happier.

bFransen

Reaction score
Boat is a 2003 228g. It currently has a 2003 Yamaha f225. The Suzuki would be about 20 pounds more. Etec would be around 30 pounds less. I estimate Etec weight loss on the weight of the engine plus hydraulic steering control which will come off.

I spoke with the local local Etec dealer. It's about 25% more for an Etec. Cost estimates are ~18k for 250ap Suzuki and ~25k for 225 Etec. I only have one quote for an Etec at this point. Quotes are for full installation.

Both Etec and Suzuki look like awesome motors. Etec is lighter and doesn't require oil changes. Suzuki has trolling speed control and I do a lot of trolling. The Etec comes with integrated hydraulic steering which may be an upgrade to a 15 year old system.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I repowered last year with a F250 4.2. it's over 70 pounds lighter than the 3.3 liter. I only have 34 hours on it. The more I read KY Grady posts the less I like him ;-). It's a joke. Seriously, check out the G2. I didn't because the dealer network stinks for me, but so does Suzuki.

Here is the deal, it seems if you do not break in most 4 strokes that they can make oil, all of them, not just Yamaha. I only babied mine for the first hour and after that I just drove my boat, not quite like I stole it but close. I have had a Yamaha F150 and it did not make oil, a 3.3 F250 and again no oil making and now the 4.2 liter and it has not made oil. So, don't let the oil making thing deter you from a 4 stroke.

What ever you do, go digital on the throttle. You will love it. Also, if you want the 4.2 try ordering it and see what the real time is to get one. Don't rely on the internet rumors of time tables and really, don't trust anybody with KY in their user name. That stuff is for the bedroom and frankly there is better stuff on the market for that purpose.

For the record KY Grady is a really good guy. ;-)

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Here is a follow up...steering. old tech with a master cylinder is reliable. It's proven and it works. There are just a few things which can fail, such as leaky seals, master cylinder and the hydraulic lines. Old tech fails often slowly and not catastrophic. Meaning, you typically just don't get on the boat and it fails all at once. You tend to notice leaks and soft steering before a catastrophic event.

The integrated tech of the G2 steering is new school. It is driven by pumps and electronics. I have zero experience with it, but it seems there are added things to fail like a pump or electrical issue. Not saying it's bad but often when electrical grimlins strike they do so without warning thus a catastrophic event could happen without warning.

KYGrady may have insight on this. It is the one area where I had concern. It's one thing to lose power steering on a lake but it's another to be 40 miles off fishing the Gulf Stream and have it fail on a single. I like the G2 for everything else but this area gave me pause. Somebody here once wrote , new motor equals new boat. Enjoy the search. Also if you go 4 stroke consider a 4 blade prop too.

HMBJack

Reaction score
Just curious why you're not considering a Mercury Verado.

I know a Mechanic who works on everything and he loves them. Easy to work on and made in USA...

My dock neighbor has a pair of Suzuki 225's on his 26' Kevlacat. When raised, the lowers are out of the water. He is very happy with them (year 1 now under his belt). Says they are very efficient. In our area, lack of service is the only issue for Suzuki. I have zero experience w Evinrude so can't help you there. Good luck and I too would probe Yamaha availability more. I think they still are the best choice.

UCPA111

Reaction score
I am restoring a 1983 Seafarer 226. I've enclosed the transom to make it like a 228 model and have a new flotation engine bracket coming. I also moved the fuel tank (bought a new one) to the front of the fuel tank locations (between helm and passenger seat).

I struggled with what to buy for a motor. I don't know if you can go wrong with any of them. In the end, I opted for a Verado. It's due to arrive in April. I took all old wiring and controls out...and am putting all new in. It's an experiment that I hope works out well. You can checkout some of my videos here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCATvLu ... RX0gH9FiMQ

Good luck in whatever you do...and post some pictures! Would be great to create a place for people to see the various options in use.

Rustygaff

Reaction score
A dockmate of mine repowered with twin 150 Tohatsu's. They are Honda's with different paint/graphics. He told me it was the best pricing he had found for quality motors. After 2 seasons, they have run flawlessly. Worth a look if there is a nearby dealer.

artodea

Reaction score
Just one more plug for the G2. One of the bonuses of this engine on the Grady is that it tilts the entire lower unit out of the water. I used to have to paint the bottom of my lower unit on my Yamaha.

And regarding the integrated power steering, it is really quite simple. The steering cylinder in the engine bracket is a vertical piston and oil pressure differential makes it turn just like an external steering cylinder. My G2 is an early build (2014!) and I did experience a loss of power steering due to a faulty connector. The dealer had to order a part so I lost a weekend during the repair, but I never lost the ability to steer. Without the power steering pump running the steering works fine, just with slightly more effort.

That said, whatever you decide will make you very happy. The Yamaha and Suzuki offerings are amazing engines and at the end of the season I saw a new Verado idling at the dock (I saw that it was running but I didn't hear anything).

bFransen

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. With the G2 being 25% more, I'm going to put down the deposit on Saturday for the Suzuki.

I'll update this thread as things move forward. One other thing I might do is put a plow anchor on my anchor roller and some chain up front to counteract the added weight. To that end, anyone know where the center of balance is on the 228?

L.R.

Reaction score
bFransen said:
Thanks for all the input. With the G2 being 25% more, I'm going to put down the deposit on Saturday for the Suzuki.

I'll update this thread as things move forward. One other thing I might do is put a plow anchor on my anchor roller and some chain up front to counteract the added weight. To that end, anyone know where the center of balance is on the 228?
Going with the DF250 AP? I will be there Friday dropping off My Boat.. :D

bbal08

Reaction score
It will be interesting to hear if you see any change in boat attitude sitting in water. The Suzuki is not heavier than the Yamaha, a couple years ago they changed how they weighed their motors and added oil and prop weight. No other mfg includes those items.

Suzuki also positions the power head slightly forward which in theory also helps.

Please post performance comparison as we're considering swapping out our F225s also.

bFransen

Reaction score
bbal08 said:
It will be interesting to hear if you see any change in boat attitude sitting in water. The Suzuki is not heavier than the Yamaha, a couple years ago they changed how they weighed their motors and added oil and prop weight. No other mfg includes those items.

Suzuki also positions the power head slightly forward which in theory also helps.

Please post performance comparison as we're considering swapping out our F225s also.

I've been comparing with dry weight numbers. I see there is literature out there that includes the oil and prop, adding ~30 lbs to the full weight.

Judging by the axle position on my trailer, I'm guessing I can put a 14lb anchor out onto the roller with some chain to re-balance the boat. Although, when I e-mailed Grady customer service and they stated 20 lbs wouldn't make a difference. They did say that they couldn't provide performance numbers with any motor other than a Yamaha though... It's a shame that Grady and Yamaha are so together on the corporate front.

Jody

Reaction score
At the end of last year I blew the Mariner 200 I had and got a Merc Efi 250 2 stroke that had less then 400 hours on it. Definitely go with a 250 I went from 26@4200 to 34@4200 and a topend from 36 to 50. With the extension and extra weight the engine does touch the water plus before I trim all the way up the engine cowling hits the transom. Going to keep the rear tank low and see if that gets it out. I know it will burn some fuel but the $3200 was right for me.

trilogy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
See my previous post below--I'm beyond pleased with my Suzuki DF250 and it gets better everytime I go out.

Just Repowered My 1999 228G with a Suzuki DF250
Postby trilogy » Oct Mon 16, 2017 12:16 pm

For what it's worth,

Just wanted to put it out there how pleased I am with my new motor. Went from a 1999 YAMAHA OX66 225 (which still ran smooth and reliably) to the Suzuki DF250 (white) and C-10 color monitor. Struggled mightily on the decision to leave Yamaha for the Suzuki but am extremely pleased with my decision. Picked up 12-mph more on topspeed and the fuel economy difference amazing (avg at least 1.5 mpg more and as much as 2.5mpg more than the Yammy).

However, the most part that I can't get over is the sound level difference. I had never truly heard the SV2 hull working like I can now---listening to the water being displaced, sliding under the hull, and sprayed outward will lull you to sleep. Also, now have to completely adjust my amplifier settings as now the system doesn't have to compete and overcome the 2-stroke noise.

Just wanted to put this out there as during my agonizing decision making process, I would have liked to see as much feedback from other 228ers.

Please don't read this as any slander against Yamaha as the OX66 treated me amazing--just wanted to repower solely for piece of mind and the Suzuki vs Yamaha debate is always testy. But 13 hours into this new motor, I'm extremely pleased.

"One-Eyed Lily"
1999 228 Seafarer
2017 Suzuki DF250
trilogy

Reactions: SirGrady226