GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
GW VOYAGER said:
I'm glad to hear no one was hurt.
What I would like to know is as follows
1 Does this come apart on a pump happen very often
2 Was this the type pump where you replace the head if it burns out and is held together by the plastic clips on the side of the pump.
I had to replace a raw water pump and did so with one that comes apart maybe not a smart move on my part.
I feel it is better to buy pumps that don't come apart than trying to remember to turn sea cocks on and off.
If you do a lot of fishing that would be a lot of turning on and off.

1. Haven't heard of any other pump failures of this type, but I'm sure they have likely occurred.
2. yes, I beleive it was the cartridge type pump.

Using a different style pump, instead of following a more seamanlike seacock protocol, will only protect you from a pump casing failure. It will not protect you from hose failure, hose clamp failure, or inadvertent overfilling of the livewell.

The raw water and livewell seacocks on our boat are closed. We open the livewell if we are going to use it, otherwise it stays closed. We open the raw water washdown when we get ready to washdown for the first time. It stays open while fishing, but gets closed before the run home. The seacock for raw water for the head is closed until needed the first time each day, and gets closed at the end of the day. Note that this is not a scoop injection, so far less pressure on the system.

Brian

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
After reading this I think I may have screwed up. I'm also a believer in opening that sea cock when you need it. Problem is when I pulled the boat for winter I forgot to open the valve. I'm concerned that water in the hose may have frozen and cracked the valve or pump. Has anyone ever done this?

choogenboom

Reaction score
okletsfish said:
I have a 1998 ,228.A few years ago I had a problem with the extention
rods which connent to the seacock tru-hulls.The ball joint on the tru-hull side was made of mild steel and failed when I attempted to operate the valve,leaving me with the rod in my hand in a half open position.I was lucky because this happened while the boat was on the trailer beside my home.I replaced the hardware and pumps at the time and have been diligent since then on inspecting that area.I exercise the valves about once a month.What I had`nt done until now is run with those valves closed,but the will be off from now on.

This is a common problem with Gradys that I have reported on here http://www.greatgrady.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8799&highlight= where you'll find a link to a readily available stainless replacement.

Shamsul Hasan

Reaction score
ocnslr said:
dduflo said:
Thanks for posting. I rarely close my thru hulls when running. Good lesson learned. They WILL be closed from now on!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

And spread the word to your friends and dock neighbors.
Your advice has reached many a miles!!! I am really impressed with the rescue effort. I have been boating for two decades and never bothered to close thru hulls,with almost no rescue facilities available in my area,I better start doing that straight away.Never realized it would take the boat down that quickly...

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I work with actuated valves a lot. Don't trust the actuator to close the valve, it would to have a hand override and open/closed status that would be displayed by the helm.

Desperado

Reaction score
The valves on my 272 for washdown and the livewell are a PITA to reach. Has anyone ever retrofitted the the handle extensions to these? If so part number and source? Thanks!

bayson

Reaction score
thru hull

I have a '95 Gulfstream. I have never closed these valves!?! I noticed when cleaning last week that a handle on one had rusted off and fallen to the floor. Even though the boat is always on a lift I guess all should be replace. How about hoses?

RAINMAKER

Reaction score
Re: thru hull

bayson said:
I have a '95 Gulfstream. I have never closed these valves!?! I noticed when cleaning last week that a handle on one had rusted off and fallen to the floor. Even though the boat is always on a lift I guess all should be replace. How about hoses?

Most definately change the valves. As for the hoses you'll need to ascertain the condition of the hoses when you change the valves.

Buoy

Reaction score
In this situation where there were relatively calm seas, is it fair to say that the boat would not have capsized if it had level flotation?

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It should be high on the priority list to occasionally check your thru hull valves and bilge pumps. Check hoses and there should be 2 stainless hose clamps at each point.........The year I took delivery of my new Marlin at the end of the season after unscrewing the rear hatch and cutting the bead to remove the hatch to winterize I discovered the bilge pump hose neck was broken. Meaning there was no hose attached to the bilge pump.It was just laying in the hull next to the pump. That was the main reason why I modified that deck so I have immediate access to all the strainers, hoses and seacocks.

'05 300 Marlin F250's

Buoy

Reaction score
I currently have a 19' DC Whaler and am looking to move into a 225 Tournament. What I'm gaining is obvious....lots of cockpit space, a nice swim platform, improved ride, etc. I guess I'm looking to see what I'll be giving up, i.e. the level flotation/safety factor. So if the subject boat had level flotation, do you think that it may not have capsized? Or do we think it would have capsized regardless?

Thanks for your help here, I appreciate it.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think once you have that much water in your hull it seriously increases your chance of capsizing regardless of the size of your boat. It could be as flat as a mill pond but once the water gains momentum to one side that's hundreds of pounds of water that the boat wasn't designed to account for to keep it upright. Add a not so nice sea and a wave or two will just amplify that motion.

'05 300 Marlin F250's

jellyfish

Reaction score
I had a handle break off one time as I was trying to close it. Need to check them all the time and when not in use keep them closed. I also noticed that my live well will fill up while running if I leave it open, without turning on the live well pump. Thats not good.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
jellyfish said:
I also noticed that my live well will fill up while running if I leave it open, without turning on the live well pump

Mine does too along with several others I know.

'05 300 Marlin F250's

jellyfish

Reaction score
Gman25 said:
jellyfish said:
I also noticed that my live well will fill up while running if I leave it open, without turning on the live well pump

Mine does too along with several others I know.

'05 300 Marlin F250's
I have a 208. If the fitting goes or a hose clamp or hose slips off, all of that water will be in your bildge and it will not take long. I keep mine closed at all times unless I am using them. Be safe everyone.

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My 228 came with a rubber stopper that fits in the livewell. When its in and your running, the livewell wont fill up even if the thru hull is open. However I prefer to keep the thru hull closed if not actually using it.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
This is from my owners manual. I believe GW stated this very clearly. While I am very relieved everyone is OK and feel sorry for the loss of the boat, the recommendation *IS* in the owners manual and should be followed. I NEVER open any of my seacocks unless in use. Period.

SEACOCKS
Ball valve seacocks are installed on the thru hulls for the livewell and washdown accessories.
N O T I C E
All seacocks should be in the closed position if not in use or if the boat is
unattended to prevent water from entering if a plumbing component fails.
N O T I C E
If the livewell seacock is left open and the pump is not “ON,” the boats forward
motion through the water will gradually fill the box. This inadvertent filling
can be prevented by closing the seacock when the livewell is not in use.

cedarholm

Reaction score
I'm wondering if the pump came apart due to frozen water in pump head. Accident was in December no?

I cut out caulk bead in my 1993 Escape 209 rear floor panel so I can access bilge.

Jeff Mauro

Reaction score
Thank God you Guys got rescued. For those that have posted on this incident, here is my two cents. The boat would have sank much faster and probably before you came off plane, if not for the foam in hull. Your were spot on calling for help immediatly. For all of our future situations, while/after the distress call was being accomplished, a search for the problem should have commenced. Safe boating to all.