Grady striping replacement

wrxhoon

Reaction score
My pin stripping is original Russ, I have a couple spots with nicks but the boat will be sold as soon as my new to me is ready for fishing. I think you can see the blue cover on my boat. She lives on the trailer and covered to keep her in pristine condition.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Oh, was referring to what the pinstriping costs to replace. The 270 I am getting looks great but always curious what stuff costs that is unique so I can make a note for future schtuph...heh.

What’s the new boat you are getting, if you do not mind me asking? I assume the Freedom is the one you have now.

R

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I have a Seafarer 228 soft top now with 250 Merc Optimax. The new boat arrived Seafarer 228 hardtop with Yamaha 4.2 F250.
Hardtop suits my fishing better, hence the purchase. The boat came from St James City FL near Fort Myers . The seafarer suits me because I trailer up and down the coast from Sydney, easy to tow with a 4WD landcruiser.
The old at home and the new in FLMy Grady  white 043.JPG2013 Grady 75.jpg

Attachments

• My Grady  white 034.JPG
    My Grady white 034.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 8

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Holy cow, you shipped it from FL to Austrailia?! Good lord that must have been expensive heh.

Agreed, soft top is nice, but I prefer the hard top;)

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My roll of stripes cost me $90, plenty to do the boat and some left over. The cabin side decals I picked up off Ebay, thinking in the $30 range, then picked up the call out model numbers again from my dealer, maybe $40, can't remember for sure.
20180421_175612.jpg

wrxhoon

Reaction score
KY, are all 3 stripes in the one tape or separate ? Would very much easier to install if all on one tape put the tape on with soap located in position squeegee the water out and peel the top off.

Russ, lots of boats are shipped to Australia from USA, not as many now , our $ is low and your boats are expensive now. Just after the GFC boats in USA were very cheap, I think 25% of boats sold there came to Australia. Over the years I imported 6 boats all form the east coast but one that came from the great lakes. I bought my current 228 in 2012 from Albany GA, she was on a lift in the lake there. Your economy was so bad then our $ was worth $1.05 US. I had a new trailer built in FL shipped it to GA put the boat on it and then taken to Savannah . That's where she was shipped from . The new one was shipped to Jacksonville then via Panama and Auckland NZ to Australia.
The process takes about 2 months because you need import approval for the trailer. The sailing part takes about 5 weeks depending where she goes first.

Shipping cost is very much dependent on size ( cubic meters) the 228 hardtop is 90 CBM and total shipping cost including land transport in USA, Fumigation ( a must) ,cleaning, shrink-wrap ( keeps thieves out), port charges in USA, port charges in AU, trailer import approval fee and Quarantine wash here . All up US$11,000 , then you pay 10% tax on all money spent to buy and ship.
Not cheap but not many used 228's here for sale and a new one is close to Au $200k or $140k US. Used 228s here start at $70k AU for an old one with 4 stroke up to AU$140k for a 2014 for one on trailer without electronics or very basic stuff.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hoon, all three stripes are actually one big stripe, there is clear between the little blue and gold stripes to maintain the gap. It is all one piece. I first bought individual stripes from a vender off eBay, but then I contacted my dealer and asked about some factory stripes, much easier install than the individual ones would have been. Worth it to me.

You can find most anything you want for our boats off the internet, but to get it right and look right, I've found getting original parts and pieces from my dealer my best option. Yes, I will pay a little more but the outcome is better to me. The mechanicals under deck like pumps and hoses and such can be outsourced, but the visual pieces, I'll get from the dealer. I take pride in my boat, even though she's older, I'm third owner, I'm proud to own a Grady, it's not just a boat to me. Long time dream to own a Grady and evidently I drink the Kool-Aid.

Reactions: wrxhoon

Greyduk

Reaction score
"I take pride in my boat, even though she's older, I'm third owner, I'm proud to own a Grady, it's not just a boat to me. Long time dream to own a Grady and evidently I drink the Kool-Aid".

KYG, Its pretty easy to tell that you take pride in your boat. It shows. It looks great!!

Reactions: Ky Grady

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Thanks KY good to know if I need decals and pinstripes . I thought the genuine stripes would all be in one tape otherwise it would be very difficult to put them on exactly right. My current boat is old as well but I keep her covered when not in the water in order to stay in pristine condition. As we all know Grady's are not cheap but they are very well made and the 228 suits me because she is under 2.5 mtrs wide ( 8' 21/4" in your language ) that's the max width on our roads without a restrictive permit. I like Boston whalers as well but they are 8'6".
I agree with you on the genuine parts because they are all made to fit exactly. We only have 2 GW dealers in AU, one in Sydney close to me but they are not interested in getting parts and when they do they want to charge 3 times the price in USA .

Green Pond

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225
Hi All
Any idea where to get pin stripe for a 2004 tournament 225?
Thanks