Grady white 228g soft spot

UCPA111

Reaction score
I dealt with this on my boat as well. 1984 Seafarer. I moved my fuel tank forward and created a usable space. I reused the deck plate and rebuilt to make a hatch. Turned out great! Yes, my desk was the small squares. I used COOSA board to rebuild, West system 105 and 1708 fabric. It's now ROCK SOLID.
I highly encourage making that space usable.

At the 8:00 mark on this video you can see what I did:

For my full playlist: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKY3HuZDoWwR_iSbBmZmWEkSuhFlgBwjb

PM me with any questions. Good luck! It's a good project.

Reactions: leeccoll

Willy-C

Reaction score
End grain can be an issue but since the marine plywood is made with moisture resistant glues, it isn't all that absorbent. However, it is important to get the new resin into those cracks or better yet, butter all sides of each piece and squish into place. For smaller panels. vacuum bagging will just about eliminate and voids or not wetted edges.

I guess you used epoxy and not polyester resin because if you let the fist layer cure for a day or more and then applied more layers with polyester resin, you have to rough sand the dry layer since polyester resin doesn't stick to cured polyester like epoxy will.

yes, epoxy

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Wow this has turned into quite a thread. What I would add to what has already been discussed is telling Jacktropp99 I have an older hull than yours. Every hull at your age probably has soft spots on the deck hatches unless the boat sits in covered storage.

I had to remove my engine bracket as well and re seal it. Water gushed out as I removed it. I have a wet transom, but it is still strong. Water can and will find a way to enter.

I don't have more than a few tablespoons of water come out of my bilge when I use her, but storage is on dry land. If your boat sat in the water that takes a toll. If you are curious and handy, you will be able to button her up, and enjoy many more years of service.

There are things like the stanchions that will let water enter and I accept that. I own an old hull, compromises are my acceptable friends.

Look at your thru hulls, drains, and engine bracket and you should be good to go.

Best to ya,

Lee

Reactions: Fuzz