Grady White - Help with Model Choices

Bird Blaster

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Good day Grady owners.

I have gotten to the point where purchase of a used Grady next year will be an option. I have always been looking at Grady's and had a rough idea about what models I would be interested in. Now that I am near the point of formally putting down money I want to continue to focus my research in on a few models to see what might fit best.

I live in Canada on Lake Superior. I am looking for a freshwater only boat and preferably within the Canadian marketplace. I know that will limit the number of Gradys that I will have access too and I am OK with that. Having imported cars in the past I know what is involved as well as the additional costs. At this point I am not yet ready to do that - perhaps in time if I can't find what I am looking for I will consider this. My budget is going to allow for a used boat only and likely sub 80-90k/ Canadian.

As for the boats intended purposes it will be mixture of Great Lakes Salmon fishing on Lake Superior, family cruising and some water sports (tubing and water skiing). The water sports are not the highest priority but if I can find a way to include this still it would be great ie) Turboswing or something of that nature. My family is one of 4 + dog. Kids are currently 5 and 7 years. Our current boat is a 22' Four Winns 220 Horizon bowrider with I/O (OAL 21'9", Beam of 8'4", weight 3500lbs). It is a reasonable boat to get the above things done but it is definitely not a big water boat. It does a lot better on calm waters.

I am equally open to W/A and bowriders and I want to stick in the 22-25' class. I would like a hardtop. I would be open to bigger but the boat still needs to be trailerable with a beam of 8'6" or less as well as a weight that my tow vehicle F150 can still pull.

Boats that I think would fit my criteria are:

W/A:
Seafarer 228 (not interested in 226)
Journey 258 - I do really like this boat and I think it would be my top choice if I could find a freshwater Canadian boat.

Bowrider
- Freedom/Tournament 225
- Freedom 235/255 - only if I could find it used in my price range which I know is unlikely.

I would really appreciate the opinions of some Grady owners of these boat choices as well as other suggestions you might have. Will a beam of 8' be very noticeable vs the 8'4" that I currently have in terms of ride or space? My general feeling is that the Grady ride will be better over my current hull design and that 4" lost in beam wouldn't be that noticeable if I was to end up with a 228 or a 225.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm a little biased here but the 228 is a very capable boat to do what you want to do. I trailer mine everywhere as I'm somewhat landlocked in Central Kentucky. I'm in Florida for 2 weeks now, I trailer to South Carolina and it will hit Lake Erie in September. As far as pulling tubes and such, find one with a F250 on it or plan for a repower. I have a F225 and don't feel you'll be satisfied with the performance of it while pulling a tube.

If you break down the 4" difference, you're only gaining 2" either side, so I doubt it would be an issue, that you would be saying, "I wish I was 4" wider."

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

Bird Blaster

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I'm a little biased here but the 228 is a very capable boat to do what you want to do. I trailer mine everywhere as I'm somewhat landlocked in Central Kentucky. I'm in Florida for 2 weeks now, I trailer to South Carolina and it will hit Lake Erie in September. As far as pulling tubes and such, find one with a F250 on it or plan for a repower. I have a F225 and don't feel you'll be satisfied with the performance of it while pulling a tube.

If you break down the 4" difference, you're only gaining 2" either side, so I doubt it would be an issue, that you would be saying, "I wish I was 4" wider."

Thank you very much for the reply. You definitely see a lot of different waters in your boat so I think you have more than a good understanding of what the 228 can do and handle. It is a boat that is on my list as a serious contender! I have seen a lot more 226's going for sale around Ontario Canada. I am not interested in the 226 as much.

Thank you for the suggestion of 250. I agree with you re: 4". The more I think about it the 8' beam would still likely be plenty roomy for me.

Thanks
BB

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've fished 4 guys on mine, plenty of room. Wine and cheese cruise with another couple, plenty of room.

Can launch and load solo. Bigger boat would require help to launch and load. The 258 was on my list also. The 258 wasn't drift sock friendly for my style of fishing. The cockpit area on the 228 is one of the best in this size class. It can handle way more than I can as far as seaworthiness. If it's to rough for me to fish on my 228, I don't need to be out there anyway.

Bird Blaster

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
For the 228 are there any backrest options for the jumpseats behind the two main seats? I thought I saw a couple of used boats with them as I have scanned through different models/options.

nuclear

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
For the 228 are there any backrest options for the jumpseats behind the two main seats? I thought I saw a couple of used boats with them as I have scanned through different models/options.
Mine came with one on the port side, but the starboard does not as it would potentially interfere with the slide adjustment of the helm seat.

Bird Blaster

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
That is exact
Mine came with one on the port side, but the starboard does not as it would potentially interfere with the slide adjustment of the helm seat.

That is exactly where I have seen it.

Does Grady make these? Is it aftermarket? It would be something I would really want for the 228.

Thanks

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
228 has it factory. I removed mine because it interfered with fishing with both seats reserved watching the lines. Some people use them, I don't. I've seen pics of new model 228's and they seem to have done away with it.
20180520_103732.jpg

Reactions: jimever

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
My 228 has a factory installed back rest on the port side. The boat is a great 22 footer. My only complaint is I wish there was 4 inches more between the captain seat and companion seat. The boat is sea worthy I have taken her to places in the Bahamas and Dry Tortugas , so it's almost like being on Superior. You gotta watch those northern November gales as they make that tattle tale sound through the wires and rigging.

I don't know your hull so I can't say if it is or is not noticeable in ride quality. Grady's have a variable dead rise hull which means to them it's a great sea worthy dry ride. Grady's are also kind of heavy for their size. There is no replacement for displacement. Compare the mass of the 228 to that of your boat. If she is heavier it is likely she will feel better under your feet because she will be able to displace more water and maybe bigger swells because the weight will just knock the water down. I tend to think your comparison on ride quality start there. You could compare dead rise at the stern . Some forums are all about dead rise. The greater the deadrise at the stern typically the faster a boat can go in any given sea state compared to a similar size hull with less dead rise. I think the seafarer is 20 or 21 degrees.

Go fast center consoles are 24 degrees. However the seavee hull is variable deadrise with bow entry greater than 60 degrees and it gently tapers to the stern. Most 24 degree boats start at 24 and end at 24.. they are faster but less stable on the troll and at rest. Somebody once said all boats are a compromise.

Use this information to gauge whether 4 inches of beam will matter. In terms of ride quality if both boats are the same length of running bottom I would say you might be hard pressed to say the 4 inch wider boat will ride significantly better. Throw in mass and if the Grady is heavier , I predict it will ride better. Again, beware of the lake they call getchugumey.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My 2000 228 only has the backrest on the port side also.

Another thing to keep an eye out for is if any 228s have a handle for those two seats. Mine has 1 on the port side by the bolster but the starboard doesn’t. Never thought it’s a big deal but my 6 year old daughter enjoys sitting there rather than next to me and there is typically musical chairs going on between my wife and daughter so she can hold on if needed.

As for the 228, I love it and have no complaints in my first season with it. Only “negative” is that you really need to jump in size if you want to upgrade in the future as the fishing space is huge for the length due to the bracket. I am curious if the 258 would offer you any more space over the 228.

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thank you very much for the reply. You definitely see a lot of different waters in your boat so I think you have more than a good understanding of what the 228 can do and handle. It is a boat that is on my list as a serious contender! I have seen a lot more 226's going for sale around Ontario Canada. I am not interested in the 226 as much.

Thank you for the suggestion of 250. I agree with you re: 4". The more I think about it the 8' beam would still likely be plenty roomy for me.

Thanks
BB
I would drive drive both and see what ride and handling characteristic you prefer. Both handle and ride noticeably different.

personally I prefer a running surface to the motor. Only bracket boat I think grady sells nowadays is the seafarer and gulfstream. Newer designed models don’t have brackets.

just like the sailfish went from bracket to running surface to motor and called a 282

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I would drive drive both and see what ride and handling characteristic you prefer. Both handle and ride noticeably different.

personally I prefer a running surface to the motor. Only bracket boat I think grady sells nowadays is the seafarer and gulfstream. Newer designed models don’t have brackets.

just like the sailfish went from bracket to running surface to motor and called a 282

Doc Stressor here has a 226. He loves the boat. I like the layout of the 228 and when we are in the Keys snorkeling the full swim platform is nice getting in and out of the water. There are pros and cons to each hull but you have to wonder why they no longer make the 226. Demand?

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Doc Stressor here has a 226. He loves the boat. I like the layout of the 228 and when we are in the Keys snorkeling the full swim platform is nice getting in and out of the water. There are pros and cons to each hull but you have to wonder why they no longer make the 226. Demand?
Yeah has to be demand and they also don’t sell it without a hardtop either.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
228 Freshwater owner here. Older hull, but I have been slowly restoring and upgrading things.

Love the deck space of the 228, and it's "fishability".

20200501_120225.jpg

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
228 Freshwater owner here. Older hull, but I have been slowly restoring and upgrading things.

View attachment 14556

Leeccoll,
Do you ever take her to Lake Powell or Meade? Two years ago I was in your neck of the woods and went from Grand Canyon to Zion and went through Paige and stopped at an overlook picnic area on Lake Powell. I wish I had my boat with me that day I tell you.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hi Smokey,

Vegas is 7.5 hours from Reno not pulling a trailer. I haven't ventured outside the area because my old trailer was undependable. Now I have confidence in my trailer I picked up in the spring, but still wouldn't go that far unless it was for something special.

I hope to get down to the SF Bay area, a 4 hour pull, for some salmon fishing later this summer. But the lakes near me hold beautiful trout, and they hold some big ones too, so I am a bit complacent.

Enjoy your upcoming trip!

Lee

Last edited:

Bird Blaster

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
B

View attachment 14556

Beautiful boat!

I do really like the looks of the 228!

I really get the sense from many people on this forum that the 228 rides a lot bigger than it is. I'm going to go to our January Boat show in Toronto to take a look at a few models in person. I will try to spend some time on one next spring and get behind the helm.

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Anyone else think a bowrider is more of a "fair weather" boat? In the Pacific NW, I wouldn't consider one without hardtop and cuddy, but around here it's rarely hot and frequently windy and chopped up. The amount of time folks spend riding on the front of mine has historically been very limited. Now if I were in Florida...

Bird Blaster

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Anyone else think a bowrider is more of a "fair weather" boat? In the Pacific NW, I wouldn't consider one without hardtop and cuddy, but around here it's rarely hot and frequently windy and chopped up. The amount of time folks spend riding on the front of mine has historically been very limited. Now if I were in Florida...

You raise a good point. I would prefer the walk around because I want to be able to fish from May till October. The added protection of the hardtop and cuddy is huge. My wife loves the bowrider component of our current boat which gets its most use from June to beginning of a Sept. If she was to pick the boat it would be another bow rider.
I think she is OK with the idea of a walk around as long as I can still show her it is family friendly as well as evening cruise friendly w friends.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Another happy 228 owner here in Sydney Australia, I'm on my second one actually. It does all I want her to do and she is under 2.5 mtrs wide (8' 21/4") the maximum allowed here without wide load permits and under 3500 kg towing weight (7700 lb). Easy to tow behind my Landcruiser anything above 3.5 t I need a truck. I only use mine for offshore fishing, she handles the weather better than any 22 or even 23 footer I even been in.
Journey 258 is a nice boat and can be rigged with twins, unfortunately 8'6" wide so not suitable for me but you could consider . She is a bigger boat and handles the rough a little better than 228 but I don't think you have more deck space. The 228 has more deck space than any 22 that I have come across and in my opinion one of the best 22 footers around, they are not cheap but very well made and very strong all hand laid . I don't know how well it will suit your application.
I wouldn't discount buying a boat in USA if I was you, many more boats there than in CA and cheaper. With the $90k Ca you can buy a late model and pay for shipping to CA as well, as long as you don't have to pay tax. If you buy a late model boat with say 200-300 hours as long as she is trailer or lift kept don't discount saltwater boat either, keep away from bottom painted boats..
I bought my current boat in FLA lift kept no bottom paint and i'm very happy with it, she was 5 years old when I bought her, of course I had to ad electronics and AP. Much cheaper than buying one in Australia and we have to pay tax at 10% here .
A lot of the late models are fitted with 300 hp, mine has a 250 digital control and I think all boats post 2012 have a minimum 250 hp .
250 should suit your application but 300 will be better. All the boats I have seen have the port seat-back and a cushion on the starboard side. All have the very rear jump seat-backs and cushions.
Look for a boat in your winter, I bought mine in December, I would think it should be a good time to buy next winter due to the virus and with some luck your $ may appreciate.
Good luck in your search.