Grady White position on ethanol

sel1005

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
there are lots of posts on ethanol for sure, but has anyone seen GW come out with a position / advice?

I have seen the pending changes on E15, which seem fortunately to be delayed for now; but you know the lobby folks will be hounding our POS congress to pass it and make the corn growers richer.

I just found out today our one gas station that provides full gas - no ethanol - is closing Jan 1 as they don't have the $$ to fight anymore.

Our local marinas are in the dark, no one seems to know what fuel blends they will be getting after Jan 1.

It all seems like its inevitable, no matter what, even the silly logic of using home grown ethanol that leaves us with the same fuel prices, 20% less MPG and tons of problems with fuel systems as a result, the idiots in DC will force it on all of us.

I have not seen anything come out of GW on this, have you? I am scared to death over what to do with the prospect of hundreds of gallons of ethanol in my GW for months at a time, despite Stabil and other additives, who knows what I will be living 50 miles offshore?

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think the main question is whats Yamahas position on this?I know my 05 F250's are rated to run on E10, but whats gonna happen when the ethanol is increased? Will there be some sort of motification that can be done or are we going to have to go out and buy new $30 engines? :evil:

2005 300 Marlin w/F250's

Boats Rock

Reaction score
Gman25 is correct Grady wont have a position on the fuel because they do not manufacture the engines. The recommendations and procedures will come from the perspective engine manufactures. And we are paying more for 10% less gas and causing the farming and food industry to be unstable.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The need for ethanol is as big a scam as global warming...Dont get me started... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

A

Anonymous

What year exactly did those metal lines start getting installed?

gw204

Reaction score
Sounds to me like it's a good time for the designers/engineers at GW to start considering inboard (gas or diesel) power for current and future models...

sel1005

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Sorry, I agree, Yamaha needs to have a definite positionk, but to me GW has MAJOR skin in this game:

Yamaha does not have (or maybe has minor / incidental exposure for):

1. Fuel tank and fuel line liability
2. Overall brand reliability

I mean come on, ethanol is a HUGE issue for the boating industry and our elected POS congress people pander around and do nothing unless some lobby is pumping $$ into their pockets.

I am scared to death that we will be sitting here a year from now with no options to run these boats we have all spent hundreds of thousands of dollars for and our congress people will smile on TV and tell people " we are reducing your dependence on foreign oil".

I am normally not political, but I am getting to that point; I paid a hell of a lot of $$ for my GW and I see something fundamental, FUEL, going into the toilet and everyone just seems to be OK with just whining and wishing and hoping something will change.

I expect - no - DEMAND - that GW publish a position, whether with Yamaha or not - on the impact that ethanol will have on GW boats and their usage. Not based on emotion, but based on logical research, analysis and facts. You want me to buy GW, then tell me what I can expect after you get the $$ from the boat sale??

What will ethanol do to GW owners whether E10, E15 or otherwise??

Simple as that....

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Politicians

I bet Al Gore won't be forced to run that mansion-sized houseboat on E-15. Hypocrites, these global warming scammers.

midnight-rider

Reaction score
Yamaha's postion

I was told buy a Grady white dealer and a Yamaha authorized dealer that; you should keep your tanks as empty as possible and have a good stabilizer in what fuel you have in your tanks. I just paid over 1,000 to have my tanks cleaned and my fule pumps replaced cause of the corn based fuel. It' all BS and the Lobby people who want to make more $$$$$ for their clients...Just like the Stock market and fuel prices. a few are bending us over so they can make alot $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

A

Anonymous

Funny, I have yet to have any problems in anything for years here in NY. I think like the first state to start using ethanol. MBTE replacement. No issues with my lawn mowers, motorcycles, snowmobiles , quads--- nada, no problems ever. Yes some things have sat for many months at a time too , than fired right up.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
NA2P said:
Funny, I have yet to have any problems in anything for years here in NY. I think like the first state to start using ethanol. MBTE replacement. No issues with my lawn mowers, motorcycles, snowmobiles , quads--- nada, no problems ever. Yes some things have sat for many months at a time too , than fired right up.

i bet you use your boat, LOL

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
gw204 said:
Sounds to me like it's a good time for the designers/engineers at GW to start considering inboard (gas or diesel) power for current and future models...

screw that unless you want to spend $400 a trip compared to $200 a trip!!!!

wait they did, LOL

8)

moklodge

Reaction score
Geez Sel1005,

Chill out! Tell you what, I DEMAND you use your telephone or computer to check with G/W yourself before getting hot under the collar and making Grady seem like they don't care. The info was right there on there website:

Can I use 10% Ethanol Fuel in my Grady-White boat?
Recently there has been a great deal of interest in E10 Ethanol fuel or RFG Reformulated Gasoline. The use of this blended gasoline is growing. RFG is gasoline mixed with up to 10% grain alcohol or ethanol. This type of fuel burns hotter and cleaner which is better for the environment and makes us less dependent on foreign oil. There are some things you need to be aware of if you use these types of fuel:

If possible, it is best not to mix older type MTBE or non-ethanol fuel with ethanol fuel. In some locations E85 fuel has become available. Current outboard engines are not compatible with E85 fuel and it should not be used.

Ethanol acts as a solvent and causes any water, dirt debris or sludge build-up in your fuel tank to mix with gas. If any of these items enter into your fuel system from the gas tank, it could clog filters quickly and even get into your engine. We recommend installing new fuel filters before changing to ethanol fuel. 10 micron fuel filters have been developed by many outboard engine manufacturers to aid in the filtration process. When using RFG, it is more important than ever to check the fuel filters as part of your routine maintenance and replace them when necessary. Prepare ahead and have a couple of fuel filters on board. Lastly, RFG has a shorter shelf life compared to normal gasoline. It important to add non alcohol fuel stabilizers with every tank of fresh fuel.

For long term storage and winterization, Grady-White recommends storing your boat with a full tank of fuel. This will reduce the amount of water vapor in the tank and therefore reduce the amount of water in the fuel. Be careful not to over fill the tank, this could cause fuel spillage through the deck air vent as temperatures increase in the spring.

Recently, there have been reports in the media about ethanol fuel damaging fiberglass fuel tanks. This situation does not apply to Grady-White Boats; we have never used fiberglass fuel tanks. In addition, all Grady-White fuel system components (hoses, fittings) are compatible with E10 ethanol fuel.

Relax there cowboy. :roll:

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Your outboard motor warranty/owners manual is crystal clear on ethanol fuel and it's percentage spec, same statements have been in those documents for more than 20 yrs.

Nothing new about ethanol fuel, was in use in some places a very long time ago.

Must be a lot of kids here at GG, relatively speaking.

However, common sense would dictate a motor engineer who designs for 10% ethanol, can't design a motor in such a way it falls apart at 11%, not practical, so there has to be some margin like in everything else. So goes the engineer for fuel lines, etc.

Will your car motor fail if 1.5 quarts low?

These margins or factors they will never tell you of course, however I bet 15 % is well within reason, forget the 85% crap being possible even from a diminished octane point of view unless your motor has a knock sensor.

Now, when it comes to powerhead failures under warranty, the dealer checks the fuel quality as part of analysis to find cause, and if test fails, you may not have a leg to stand on, warranty wise, once the dealer discusses your "case" with the factory rep who either thumbs up or down the $$ approval.

2 stroke powerhead job between $6 and $7K, 2 - 3 week layup or longer.

I'm surprised Yamaha has not issued a website statement to calm the masses and avoid having people delay repowering with the uncertainty. Perhaps Yamaha is waiting for another brand to issue a statement first and they will follow.

Not characteristic of an industry leader such behavior though.

As usual, I will have another item to work over and red face the Yamaha factory rep at the NY Boat show next month, plus hopefully see the 36 Canyon and 23 ft CC over at the Grady exhibit.
Ought to be a quick visit.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I use non-ethanol fuel whenever possible..When not possible I fill with 93-octane premium.
I keep the tank in my 232 full all the time and haven't had a problem yet..Hopefully won't..

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
magicalbill said:
I use non-ethanol fuel whenever possible..When not possible I fill with 93-octane premium.
I keep the tank in my 232 full all the time and haven't had a problem yet..Hopefully won't..

Just an FYI..Its highly recommended NOT to mix the E10 with non E10.