Grady White position on ethanol

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yep. E10 holds more water than E5, etc. So adding straight gas to a tank with E10 in it can result in instant fuel separation.

Stick with either E10 or straight gas if you can get it. As long as your fuel is dry, you wont have any problems. But you take a chance on having a major problem that can avoided by using common sense.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
moklodge said:
Geez Sel1005,

Chill out! Tell you what, I DEMAND you use your telephone or computer to check with G/W yourself before getting hot under the collar and making Grady seem like they don't care. The info was right there on there website:

this came right out of my manual. no need to go to the site.

Please study the following precautions carefully. Consult your dealer if you have any
questions. Prior to your initial fill-up, check your engine manual to confirm the type of fuel and
octane rating specified by the manufacturer. Tanks should be filled when the boat is not in use to
reduce the accumulation of moisture and condensation. Add stabilizer to fuel that won’t be used
in 60-90 days.
Fuel containing up to a 10% ethanol blend (E10) is acceptable for use in your boat. Do not use
alcohol blended fuel that has greater than 10% ethanol such as E20 or E85. These concentrations
may be harmful to fuel system components and outboard engines.
Other considerations related to Ethanol fuel blends:
•Avoid mixing E10 with fuels that contain MTBE, an additive to gasoline in some fuel
blends that oxygenates the fuel to reduce emissions.
• Use a 10 micron fuel filter to capture particulate contaminants that may be loosened from
the fuel system due to the solvent nature of alcohol blended fuels.
• Carry spare fuel filters with a 10 micron rating on your boat for emergency replacement if
required.

ron

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks Doc and Gman..
I had heard about not mixing fuels before..Appreciate the heads-up..I have mostly non-ethanol in the tank now.I will make sure to have one or the other from now on..