GreatGrady think tank question? Outriggers?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Debating on going to hardtop outriggers versus my current gunnel mount ones.

The gunnels only deploy to approximately 45° off the sides, the hardtops will deploy to 90° off the side, giving me a wider spread.

Pros and cons???

Thanks.

Screenshot_20220304-213837_Gallery.jpgspf0216_bbo_1.jpgGW-2.jpg

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I always thought hardtop riggers we're better, especially considering that those holder/riggers take a spot where a pole could be. Your current riggers look a bit high on the angle.
You get much more flexibility and convenience with hardtop riggers, with multiple angles depending on the bases you buy. If it's within you budget go for it!

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
spending money on your boat is always a good idea:cool:

For trolling dolphin, a pair of 18 footers double-rigged makes a fun dance with the right crew.
idk how good they are for catfish.

Reactions: Ky Grady

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That pic did show them high. I adjusted them down a notch or two after that. Still at a 45° angle, but lower.

20210513_084720.jpg

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
spending money on your boat is always a good idea:cool:

For trolling dolphin, a pair of 18 footers double-rigged makes a fun dance with the right crew.
idk how good they are for catfish.
Lol,,, catfish wouldn't work. Too many hangups dragging the bottom. My crew is limited, so keeping them single rigged 15' for ease of use.

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Yes that angle is much better. At the end of the day it all depends on what your needs and wants are. For me I go tuna fishing a few times a year and couldn't imagine fishing without them. But again that's just me and everyone fishes differently.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I always thought hardtop riggers we're better, especially considering that those holder/riggers take a spot where a pole could be. Your current riggers look a bit high on the angle.
You get much more flexibility and convenience with hardtop riggers, with multiple angles depending on the bases you buy. If it's within you budget go for it!
Looking at the Grand Slam 280's with 15' outriggers.

81wZhfn9f2L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
yep you need rodholders where the rigger bases were. 3 rods per side and at least one straight back

heheheh more rodholders....

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Hardtop outriggers with aluminum backing/mounting plate welded in.

Last edited:

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
yep you need rodholders where the rigger bases were. 3 rods per side and at least one straight back

heheheh more rodholders....
More rod holders are doable. Just went through and upgraded mine to the new style, can always add 2 more. The rears are straight back.

20220128_104901.jpg20220128_104854.jpg

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I use double rigged outriggers with Rupp locking haylard blocks. I rig the short and the long the same length. You just have to remember not to push the "short" all the way up. This gives you better geometry in that the "short" and the "long" are in the same plane. It also makes stowing and setup easier. The Rupp block has a snap on it that connects to a ring with rope that is mounted on the gunnel and a cam cleat under the gunnel. I disconnect the Rupp block and secure to the rigger when not in use.
Rigger Layout.jpeg Haylard Tensioner.jpeg Rigger Lines Setup.jpeg Rigger Stowed.jpeg Rigger Lines Stowed.jpeg

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thank you sir!!! Definitely more options with hardtop versus the gunnels.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hardtop outriggers with aluminum backing/mounting plate welded in.
Calling WMW Marine on Monday morning to check on the backing plates that get welded in. They made the hardtop, they should have the plates.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Calling WMW Marine on Monday morning to check on the backing plates that get welded in. They made the hardtop, they should have the plates.
My rigger bases were not installed with welded in backing plates. The hardtop has stress cracks from the load. The hardtop needs to be painted and at that time I'll get the plates welded in. Probably switch to a better base (stainless with ability to swing out from underneath). My riggers are aluminum tube like the ones you are looking at.

brdawg2001

Reaction score
Good idea for sure but I would go 18 if at all possible. I am a huge Rupp fan after having them for 20 years on my boat. They are simple and you can get parts...I am also not a fan of retractables...i can deploy mine instantly and using the povermo method on your halyard makes adjustment a breeze.

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
this may not be applicable but i have to put in 2 cents worth. my boat has fixed side of cabin mounted riggers. anyone that has ever been on my boat can deploy, re-ploy (?) rig the fishing lines, check releases etc... with little trouble. rest of the guys i fish with have collapsible top mounted riggers. sorry but i find them to be a real pia. seems like i am always climbing up on the gunnel to fix or adjust something, often with someone hanging on to my belt! only downside for me is i cannot take the little shortcut to the inlet that saves them 5 minutes

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Appreciate everyone's comments and ideas. Went ahead and ordered the Taco Grand Slam GS-280 outriggers kit from Defender Marine. I had hardtop outriggers on my Striper before my Grady and I liked them. Just hadn't decided to move to them yet since my Grady came with the gunnel mount outriggers. After using them in the Keys and seeing the limitations of adjustments for them, I feel the hardtop mounted ones give me more flexibility. I'll post up install pics as I go. Makes you pucker drilling a 3 1/8" hole in your hardtop. Measure 5 times, drill 1 time.

IMG_0134.JPGIMG_0135.JPGIMG_0136.JPG

Fishtales

Reaction score
Do you really use them a lot or just bling on the boat.
You have a few options
- Set of outrodders. With 4 gunnel rod holders you get decent bait presentation.
- Add 2 rod holders facing aft for 6.
- Hard top radial outriggers. Advantage is with telescoping poles you can get them out of the way when not in use and they don't get in the way with bow movement if you need to get up there. Telescoping poles are great if you have bridges, trailer or have other height restrictions.
- Add gunnel outriggers. You can do removeable ones so they are not always there getting in the way of cockpit use.
- Wishbone style like GW uses. A very good outrigger but does restrict passage to the bow on walkarounds.
Pic your poison.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Do you really use them a lot or just bling on the boat.
You have a few options
- Set of outrodders. With 4 gunnel rod holders you get decent bait presentation.
- Add 2 rod holders facing aft for 6.
- Hard top radial outriggers. Advantage is with telescoping poles you can get them out of the way when not in use and they don't get in the way with bow movement if you need to get up there. Telescoping poles are great if you have bridges, trailer or have other height restrictions.
- Add gunnel outriggers. You can do removeable ones so they are not always there getting in the way of cockpit use.
- Wishbone style like GW uses. A very good outrigger but does restrict passage to the bow on walkarounds.
Pic your poison.
Definitely not boat bling Fish. I install and upgrade my boat to make it more functional and user-friendly. If it doesn't work or I'm not happy with it, it's getting changed out or getting removed from my boat. Being in Kentucky and for now, limited time for offshore trips, anything I can do to make my 228 be ready for any adventure I want to do, I'll happily do it. Yeah, the gunnel mounted outriggers would probably suffice for my random trips offshore, but having the hardtop mounted outriggers will make my limited time on the water, that much more enjoyable. The wishbone style are nice, but somewhat of overkill for the 228. The bigger boats can get by with them, just feel a 228 is a little small to use the wishbone's.