Groco pump -simple macerator retrofit- 265 Express

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I'm not sure why the waterline matters. The system is closed off from outside except when pumping out.
Well, you actually answered your own question :)

Like I said, though, in reality it should be fine. It just may not be technically approved. You should, however, double clamp things... and ideally rotate 180*.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
My level sensor on my Groco system is bad. Is anyone aware of a cost effective replacement?
I've heard the "SCAD" level sensor is a simple and cheaper alternative to the ridiculous $500 price of a Groco level sense replacement.
I don't have it but thats what I'm looking at.

https://www.scadtech.com/tank_monitors

SecondWind282

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I've heard the "SCAD" level sensor is a simple and cheaper alternative to the ridiculous $500 price of a Groco level sense replacement.
I don't have it but thats what I'm looking at.

https://www.scadtech.com/tank_monitors
After a lot of reading and knowing I'm not a plumber, I just ordered the groco 155 from Defender and scad TM-1 monitor. But, now can't seem to find what switch I need to buy. I would like something that only runs when pushing down vs an on-off rocker switch. Ideally I'll have the master switch on the helm panel which controls a push-release switch installed where the current pump switch is.

Any ideas of a good push-release switch product (to prevent being left on and burning up the macerator)?

Reactions: A&J Outdoors

A&J Outdoors

Reaction score
Website
www.outdoorslivecrew.com
Model
Sailfish
After a lot of reading and knowing I'm not a plumber, I just ordered the groco 155 from Defender and scad TM-1 monitor. But, now can't seem to find what switch I need to buy. I would like something that only runs when pushing down vs an on-off rocker switch. Ideally I'll have the master switch on the helm panel which controls a push-release switch installed where the current pump switch is.

Any ideas of a good push-release switch product (to prevent being left on and burning up the macerator)?
Newwiremarine.com has rocker style switches that turn off once you release them.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore

What you want is a "momentary on" switch. Use that search term - they're very, very common and easy to find. It doesn't necessarily have to be a button - it could be a rocker switch. Another option is a simple key switch and use the "start" terminal to energize the macerator.

SecondWind282

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
What you want is a "momentary on" switch. Use that search term - they're very, very common and easy to find. It doesn't necessarily have to be a button - it could be a rocker switch. Another option is a simple key switch and use the "start" terminal to energize the macerator.
Thanks Dennis! Knowing the right terminology helps

Diad

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Well I finally finished this project. I did exactly as max366 did. The Groco switch still works so I used it. Not sure on the monitor Portion because there’s nothing in it. Also, I assume that it works because, again, there’s nothing in the tank. this project definitely had some challenges! The main one being that the Y valve was not even close to level with the new pump and the pump out fitting. I had to use some 90’s because the sanitation hose just couldn’t bend like that . I failed to snap some pictures but will do so next time at the boat.
on to electrical issues….

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Take the overboard hose off and get a piece of hose. Put in 5-gallon bucket. Pump out and dump in house. Pump out tank several times. Test its ability to lift liquids. Do it now before it has bad stuff in it!

Diad

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Take the overboard hose off and get a piece of hose. Put in 5-gallon bucket. Pump out and dump in house. Pump out tank several times. Test its ability to lift liquids. Do it now before it has bad stuff in it!
Good call!!!!!

vocz

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Just converted my 2003 265 over to Jabsco pump. Was planning to add a y valve but I had to pulled the Groco pump out because the 2 of the 3 bolts holding the pump to the top of the tank rusted off sometimes ago which leave two small holes on top of the plate and leaked air..explained the horrible smells in the cabin when running (I thought it was clogged air vent or old hoses causes the smell) No more smelly cabin!. Good thing I took the pump out because the tank level floats were busted and separate from the stick and could have sucked in the new Jabsco pump. I drilled a new 3” hole on the original plate and use Sealand diptube kit 385310660. While at it, I added Groco Sweet Tank air pump.
The Groco pump is still in great shape for being in water 20 years; they don’t make things like they used to!

Attachments

• IMG_5329.jpeg
    IMG_5329.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Reactions: SkunkBoat

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Here are pix of the groco pump unit. I removed the pump and terminal board and filled any holes and capped the pump outlet elbow.
Re-installed on the cleaned out tank. I never removed the tank....impossible...
Reconnected vent.
Locked out handle for pump waste thru hull.
Made the wires safe...disconnected from power..
Was then able to use the pumpout station. (1-1/2" Pumpout hose is attached to tank not this plate)

Groco shit pump_2.jpeg
Groco shit pump_1.jpeg

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Yuk!

Now that you have the CPU out (Crap Processing Unit) you have earned your Phd, MSD diploma. If you can get this to work again you can probably get a job at SpaceX.

Last edited:

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Working on mine is extremely difficult. You have to kneel outside the head compartment, lay over the toilet and work one-handed. I'm a lefty so that helps.

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That was the worst part of the project- limited access and long reaches while pressing against an opening!