Gulfstream 232 or Journey 258 ??

Butcherboy

Reaction score
Lots of good info here and I'm enjoying reading it all but I don't think someone else will be able to answer your question for you. IMHO you've narrowed your selection down to two very fine choices and because of that, for better or worse, it's harder for one to stand head and shoulders above the other. I think the twin f150's are a great choice for both hulls ( even though I went with a f250) and are one of the best motors they make. Find the unsold 08' you spoke of and don't look back for about ten years...........Tom....................whoops,,,I see I'm alittle late!...good job!

232 GULF

Reaction score
Congrats :D Hope you have great luck with her and many problem-free years headed your way.

bighook

Reaction score
Well BOYS,
At the last minute I changed my mined and I did go with the 232 Gulfstream.I did kinda post on here a bit to soon that I went with the 258.But this morning I just got that feeling that the 232 was the boat for me.

Ever get that itch where you have a feeling about something??
So the 232 is the boat and once I get it home I will take some pics and post them.

What sold me "AGAIN" on the 232 is the beam,hugh fishboxes,extended transom pod,room in the helm.

Can't wait to hit the water and start reefing in those 40lb chinooks :p :p

232 GULF

Reaction score
Man, I can't tell you how happy I am and how happy you'll be. The 23' tag that goes along with this boat doesn't do it justice as you know. Huge congratulations and I KNOW you won't be disappointed. What power does she have??

Looking forward to the pics! :D

HMBJack

Reaction score
Congratulations. The 232 is a very excellent choice. The 258 is good too - but if it were me, I'd do wide body baby! Good luck with her!

bighook

Reaction score
Man,it was hard to decide.The 258 is a great boat.But the 232 just had a few more things I liked better.

My 232 is an 08 with twin 150's and it's brand new.You guy are all right!!
This boat will be awesome,and I am SSSOOOO excited to get on the water with it.

You know,if the 258 had better fish boxes,as in bigger ones.Then that boat would be a hugh seller also...I think?

bighook

Reaction score
Wahoo
I sure will once I get the boat.I hope to have it by mid march or a little later in march....can't wait!! :D :D :D

Bird Blaster

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Digging up an old thread here!

anybody have anymore pros or cons they want to share on either of these two hulls?
im in the market for a used 23/25' Grady and have settled on these two models. Pref in the 2005-2010 age range. Looking to spend no more than around 65k. Twins on both boats would be my preference. Or a single (300 + kicker 9.9 on the journey).

I'm super torn between the two and could imagine them both being great.
I really like the helm layout on the 232 better as the beam really shows there.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Trailer it - 258
Dock or rack it - 232
Fishing only would have me lean more towards the 232 also, but if you are doing a lot of water activities, the euro transom on the 258 is the better way to go IMO.

Bird Blaster

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Trailer it - 258
Dock or rack it - 232
Fishing only would have me lean more towards the 232 also, but if you are doing a lot of water activities, the euro transom on the 258 is the better way to go IMO.
I generally feel I would be happier with either. I could make either work for the activities I want to do.
I may end up just finding the one that fits my budget the best and is in the best overall condition.
I do have to sit down with my wife and take her through the specifics of each boat to see if she has a preference. I. Curious to see what she thinks.

mhff34

Reaction score
232 feels a lot bigger than the258. Larger more functional cabin

Bird Blaster

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
What are the general performance specs (cruise speed, speed at WOT) I should see on each boat assuming Twin 150's? My preference would be twin 200's, but I'm not sure if I will find one.

WIll these boats meet my goals? And does one do it easier than the other?
Cruise at 3500-4000 @ mid 20's
WOT 40-45+mph

Thanks for answering my stupid questions.

Last edited:

mhff34

Reaction score
Most of the journey's I've seen listed come with a 250hp instead of twins. Been on several never ridden in one. The gulfie will do a little better then your numbers posted above with 150's

Bird Blaster

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Most of the journey's I've seen listed come with a 250hp instead of twins. Been on several never ridden in one. The gulfie will do a little better then your numbers posted above with 150's
Yes the Journey seems to be powered by a 250 more often than not.
I really want twin screws.
If the gulfstream gives better numbers than my minimum goals I will be super happy.