Gulfstream 232 vs Journey 258 deck space

chucky123

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the deck space behind the helm is on each of these boats is for comparison. They are on my short list of boats to upgrade too and i cant find any info online as to usable deck size. The boat would be used for trolling on the great lakes.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Almost equal square footage in the cockpit. Gulfstream has 56 sf and Journey has 55 sf. Gulfstream is the heavier and wider of the 2, which will help with ride. No replacement for displacement, so they say. Journey is 1'4" longer along centerline length so not a big difference there. Was just thinking about bridging the waves if they were short intervals like GOM chop, but when I've ever fished Lake Erie, there was no real interval between waves, it was more of a confused sea state.

Between your 2 choices, my personal choice would be the Journey for the little bit more running length and ability to cut the water better than the wider Gulfstream. Boats are all a tradeoff in one aspect or another. Either one would work for you on the Great Lakes.

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
the 258 would likely be a bit more efficient and knife better through a head sea. the 232 will be more stable laterally

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Ky Grady is correct. If you go to the Grady White website there is a section on the top right of the page labeled "Brochure", of which if you click on it and then click "Archived Brochures", you can look up the general specifications for each year and model of boat. Linked below is from 2012, and if gives you the information that is listed above. Personally, I'd go with the 232 Gulfstream over the 258 Journey as it's one of only a couple of walkaround style cabins that GW still offers today. I also wouldn't count out the 228 Seafarer if you're considering a walkaround style of boat in the 22'-23' range. I have one and love it.

chucky123

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I live in western New York state and I have not seen any around close to me to look at personally.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
The Gulfy deck is wider whereas the Journey deck is longer by around a foot, but square footage is nearly equal.
If you are trolling on Erie, the added length would be my choice for retrieving fish. Both can get the job done well, but both have their trade offs. You just have to decide what matters most to you.

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My fishing partner has a Journey 258 and I have spent many days on that boat in all kinds of weather. I have spent 5 or 6 days fishing on a gulfstream 232 and I much prefer the 258. The ride is much better on the 258 compared to the 232 in sloppy conditions and I attribute that to waterline. The 232 is more stable while drifting, but the extra length in the cockpit on the 258 makes it feel bigger. I prefer my 228 over the 232 in choppy conditions, but prefer the 258 over either of the other two.

Reactions: Ky Grady