Gulfstream Power

Gulfstream G

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to purchase a 2002 Gulfstream w/ a single Yamaha 225 at a great price. I see many posts indicating this is not ideal power for this model and that twins are preferable. This will be my first boat so max speed is not important to me and I will not be fishing too far off shore. Does anyone with a similar set up think that the 225 is sufficent?

SaltShaker

Reaction score
At one time I owned a 200 232 Gulfstream with a single 225 Yamaha. I found it to be sufficient for my use in the Chesapeake Bay. While I do believe that the twin 115 are a better set-up especially for off shore use.

The Gulfstream is a great boat, feels much bigger than a 23' boat.

Thanks,

Saltshaker

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i would recommend that you sea trial with a few of your buds. the 232 is a big boat and you should make sure that you feel comfortable with it and the power.

i had twin f200's on my '02 and wouldn't do anything else (maybe t-f150's), but that's just me. i think twins really improve close quarter handling (and i've been told that twins are important on larger fish boats for resale -- maybe why you are seeing a great price). good luck, ron

North River Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I just went through this debate and went w/ 2006 232 w/ f250 w/ 120 hours. I liked the idea of having newer version of the gulfstream(ie the folding bench seat w/ the larger fish box on the stern) w/ a fourstroke. I really don't need or want twins at this time. I have my own dock so for the most part getting into a tight slip is not an issue. Most of my use is cruising inshore or fishing inshore which i hope to push with the 232. I had tested a 2010 w/ a F350 which was amazing & tempting but an additional $35-45,000 up front which I couldn't justify. I was happy with the F250 and I know going into my first season this spring the limitations of this set up.

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
Perhaps the good deal you are getting for this setup is reflective of the poor match up with the 225hp sitting on the back.

The 232 is a lot of boat to push w/ a 225hp. The hull's true capabilities will not be revealed in such a setup and over time the engine will get tired sooner pushing all that weight. But I guess you can always re-power at some point.

Just food for thought. Good luck.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
It is not enough power.
My 232 has twin 200's, which is ideal.
I can understand the temptation of an attractive price, but this boat is underpowered.
By the time you have friends aboard, load it up with fuel and gear that engine will be working really hard.
Plus, without twins it'll be a bit of a pain to horse the thing around trying to dock it, especially in a crosswind or current.
This debate will probably go on and on, but I wouldn't have this heavy a boat with no more power than that.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You stated in perfectly, It is not ideal, however, I had a 2004 and never had an issue. It can be a bit sluggish getting out of the hole but once it gets going it movers at a very good clip. The only time I had issues was when I had 5 or 6 adullts and the ocean was really rough. Never a safety issue just a lot of powering up and down to keep the boat on a plane. I have a Sailfish now with twins and love it.
When I was purchasing the Gulfstream I discussed my concerns with dealer and he told me the majority of the boats he sold back then were powered with singles. If you can affoed go with twins, my issue was money and I never regretted it - it is a great boat for a 23 footer.

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
Legend said:
Never a safety issue just a lot of powering up and down to keep the boat on a plane.

The under powering of such a hull is an extreme safety issue in my view if you have to go through an inlet that has unexpectedly gotten 'big' w/ sets rollers following you in.

It is beyond difficult to ride on the back of a wave and keep up with such poor power on this specific hull. You will have that throttle pinned wide open and the following seas will easily come up behind you. You are now in deep poo, have no control, and are surfing your hull down the face of a wave. Not the place you want to find yourself in.

Not that you would want to put yourself in such conditions but it does happen... then what do you do..?? Just so you know, clicking your heel three times in rapid succession will not work at this point.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
One more thing..
Whether in heavy seas or not, you'll be spinning the mil at 4500-5000RPM most of the time when on plane.
That will put you in the low 30's, maybe a little faster with a light load.
That's pretty hi rev's over a long period of time.
This will translate to possible premature engine wear-and-tear.

To me, bargains are measured over time, not just up front.
Anyway, planning to buy a Grady is a wonderful thing..
Good luck in any case and have a great holiday season...

midnight-rider

Reaction score
I just Bought one last spring

I have a 1999 with a single 225....It came down to cost, Fuel useage and up keep. I motor at 28 mph at 4200 rpm...What did we do back in the day before we had high HP motors and only single engines...HMMMM my answer and i'm not trying to be a smart AZZ...we learned the boat and how to use what we had. Before this Grady I had a 20' with a single 200 hp ...cruised at 34 mph so 28 mph isn't too bad. I used my on the Chesapeake Bay from the Bay Bridge upper bay down to the bay bridge and tunnel lower bay. I also went out of O.C., Oregon and Hatteras inlet. I learned the boat and how to use it with how it was equipted. and before this one I had a 19' with a 175 OMC I/O and also learned what the baot could do. More power and twins are nice for those who can afford it...............but I'd rather have a larger slower boat than a small fast boat AKA a bass boat.

Gulfstream G

Reaction score
According to the manual the max HP for this boat is 400ho. Twin 200s seems like an awful lot o power for this boat. I agree that twin 150s would probably be ideal, but cost is an important factor.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hi True Grace..
As mentioned above, I own a Gulfstream with twin 200 4-strokes. I assure you it is not too much power.
The boat hits just South of 49 MPH with just me and low fuel.
The weight of the 200's put the scuppers 1/2 way under water, but it does not affect the draining of the deck.
I cruise at 30-32 MPH at 3900-4000 RPM.
I get 1.8-2.0 MPG at this speed.
I understand cost is a factor, and the 200's were anything but cheap. I always like to qualify my "power-rantings" on here with the statement that I can spend someone else's money easier than my own, so I can understand if a prospective buyer wants to get a single or twin 150's.
I must respectfully disagree and say though, that 200's are the ideal power for this boat. Anyone who owns one can tell you it is the biggest 23-footer out there. It needs big power.
I'd put 225's on it if I could.

Local Motion

Reaction score
True Grace said:
I have an opportunity to purchase a 2002 Gulfstream w/ a single Yamaha 225 at a great price. I see many posts indicating this is not ideal power for this model and that twins are preferable. This will be my first boat so max speed is not important to me and I will not be fishing too far off shore. Does anyone with a similar set up think that the 225 is sufficent?

A 225 is fine for a little 23 foot boat.
It won't be as quick to plane as other 23 footers because the gulfstream is wider than other 23's, but they are not fast boats by design. This is true of all walkarounds. The wide beam is what makes the gulfstream a great fishing boat.

If you can get this package for a great price and doing something else would put a strain on the wallet, I would say go for it and enjoy it.

Remember that the 268/270 Islanders are out there and packaged with single 250's and everyone I met with one has zero complains.

The whole twin power thing on the smaller boats is a matter of preference, not necessity. Traveling offshore....then I would say twins are a must, but for different reasons.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
True Grace,

I have nothing specific to add here but do have a couple of comment.

Your real true need for power is generally when things are going bad. My comment is that your final selection here should be driven in part by where you boat. If you have frequently strong current or rough water where you will be boating don't put yourself in the position of being under powered. Examples would be the outer banks particularly at the inlets, Buzzards Bay or the Northern Rivers mouths such as the Merrimack, Piscataqua or Kennebec. If you’re boating on an isolated bay with generally calm waters you can get away with being underpowered.
There is nothing scarier than needing power and not having it.

This may in fact be a great deal, I cannot comment, do a lot of research and sea trail with an experienced surveyor to determine if this is a deal at all or someone dumping their mistake.

Gulfstream G

Reaction score
I did. Looking forward to next season. I found the power to be just fine during seatrial and we had 5 grown men aboard. I am no expert by any means but the surveyor agreed. I am not looking to break any speed records. It's a bit hard to hand in tight quarters. I'll wait until the next one for twins.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
True Grace said:
I did. Looking forward to next season. I found the power to be just fine during seatrial and we had 5 grown men aboard. I am no expert by any means but the surveyor agreed. I am not looking to break any speed records. It's a bit hard to hand in tight quarters. I'll wait until the next one for twins.

congratulations. as long as you know what you bought, i strongly doubt you will have any "buyer's remorse". you'll really like the 232 layout. once you start using it on a regular basis you will see just how large and roomy that 23' is. best of luck, ron

GWcpa

Reaction score
Where did you buy it? There was a 232 /F225 in my area for sale for a good price that is no longer listed. Had low hours on it.

I loved my 232. It is by no means a little 23' boat.