Gulfstream Transom Crack

Yooper350

Reaction score
I recently went and looked at a gulfstream. Boat hasn't been run much or at all in the last 3 years in a saltwater environment which scared me but when I was looking around the bilge I found a crack in the fiberglass that ran from the gunnel side of the starboard battery towards the center of the boat to where the bilge drops down. The area around the crack seemed solid and dry but I'm really not versed enough in fiberglass to know so I would have to have an expert come in. The boat also needed a few hatch covers and new seals around the windshield wipers and windows and had water leaking into the cuddy after being washed. I'm not sure how difficult it is to get the seals and hatch covers but is the crack in the transom fiberglass a deal breaker and make the boat something I should run from?

Attachments

• 18137.jpeg
    18137.jpeg
    635.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 18139.jpeg
    18139.jpeg
    721 KB · Views: 70

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Best thing is to get it surveyed. It could be freeze damage from water intrusion in the core... it could be just cosmetic. A proper survey will tell you - but make sure you're all set on everything else and the deal is accepted (contingent on survey, of course), first. From the info given, there's really no way to give a conclusive answer.

seasick

Reaction score
I agree with Dennis in that my first thought was freeze damage. Hard to be sure of the extent but it doesn't look too serious.
The connections to the battery got my attention for two reasons: There are 6 connections to the negative terminal and that is more than ABYC recommends. What loads do all those wires connect to? Why are some of them terminated at the battery and not a bus bar. There is also what looks like an in-line fuse on one of those connections. Grounds shouldn't be fused. Maybe it's not a fuse but if it is, it make me question the skill set of whoever modified the wiring.
I assume there another battery in the boat. There should be at least two connections to the positive terminal; the second for the bilge pump which should be connected via a fuse directly to the battery.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Looks like an older boat from the thru holes. Survey is really interested. If not, I'd move on and look for another candidate.

Yooper350

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I figured a survey would be the only way to get a definitive answer on the crack but I wanted to see what everyone had to say.

Details on the boat are its a 1994 in Florida so I highly doubt the crack was caused from freeze damage which raises some concerns. Its a nice rig but without much use the last three years its in need of some TLC plus whatever caused the transom crack and it may be a bit more than I want to deal with. The ox-66 250hp hadn't been started in a while and after coughing a few times it fired right up but idled high and prop spun quite fast so I'm sure some other things are corroded from sitting. I guess the search continues....

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Possible freeze... Was it ALWAYS in Florida?

ox-66 250hp hadn't been started in a while and after coughing a few times it fired right up but idled high and prop spun quite fast so I'm sure some other things are corroded from sitting
Mine does the same thing (including prop spinning quickly) - for about 5 seasons, now. It won't idle down till it gets good and warm - and does so better/faster in the water. FYI, you can physically stop the prop - it's not under load - I believe it's just the nature of this beast and the way that the driveshaft spins the gear fluid around.

seasick

Reaction score
Possible freeze... Was it ALWAYS in Florida?

Mine does the same thing (including prop spinning quickly) - for about 5 seasons, now. It won't idle down till it gets good and warm - and does so better/faster in the water. FYI, you can physically stop the prop - it's not under load - I believe it's just the nature of this beast and the way that the driveshaft spins the gear fluid around.
I would be concerned if the prop didn't spin a bit in neutral and out of the water. To an extent, colder temps may cause more spinning (thicker oil) but tight bearings or seals may cause less. Regardless, assuming you can manually spin the prop in neutral, I suspect there is no major issue.

When the boat was not used for that somewhat long period, was it covered?

Yooper350

Reaction score
I would be concerned if the prop didn't spin a bit in neutral and out of the water. To an extent, colder temps may cause more spinning (thicker oil) but tight bearings or seals may cause less. Regardless, assuming you can manually spin the prop in neutral, I suspect there is no major issue.

When the boat was not used for that somewhat long period, was it covered?
To my knowledge always a Florida boat. When not in use it the last few years it was partially covered, from the hardtop back. I did not try manually spinning the prop when it was in nuetral after running it so I'm not sure if it was free or not. It was one of the first salty boats I've looked at for purchase and a good learning experience.