Gulfstream transom

Rob2112

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm considering buying a used gulfstream. I was wondering what year did they stop using wood in the transom?
Does the gulfstream with the wood transoms have a problem with dry rot or are some people just overreacting?
I heard it was 2006 but i want to make sure.

Thanks
Rob

GWL139

Reaction score
Website
www.jerseycapeyachtsales.com
Model
Gulfstream
There is no dry rot, it would be plain old rot from moisture if it's present at all. Call the GW factory and speak to someone in customer relations to get the answer to the wood question. Bert and Carolyn are very helpful with questions. If you have doubts, get a 232G with the Grady Drive bracket. Less likely to have rot issues because the transom is totally sealed. Unless one of the mounting bolts loosened and water permeated the sealant, they are pretty much indestructible.

johnvictor

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
  1. don’t buy any boat on credit
  2. Grady’s are great boats. Think Mercedes or Sony.
  3. 1993 is right on the cusp of when they moved to the new hull technology. You need to research. I had a 93 Gulfstream which was the first year of the New hull. Not sure about the year the offshore changed.
  4. get a survey and have a mechanic check the engine.

rprieser

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
ALL older Grady's have transom rot. I have refurbished 3 Grady's with the newest being a 1997 and all 3 had bad transoms. 2 of them had Grady brackets. Question is: define a older Grady. Great boats that I highly recommend. My 1988 232 Gulfstream. 232 Gulfstream.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: kearnzy