GW rod/cup holders...

FREEDOM!!!

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
I need to add a couple more cup holders. For some reason there aren't any along the gunnels in the cockpit area. I have 4 rod holders (2 on each side) but no cup holders. I was thinking of replacing 2 of the rod holders with rod/cup holder combos...but the current rod holders all have the GW logo stamped on them. Was wondering if GW has any branded combo holders. Does anyone know?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Agree with glacierbaze,,, I put two cup holders in the gunnels on my last boat between the rod holders. Very handy.

Screenshot_20230523_151401_Gallery.jpg

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I guess I'm confused by the question... are you looking to remove your rod holders and put some cupholders in place of them? Because if you do, you're likely going to have to drill out the holes from the rod holders for the new cupholders to make them fit. Which can definitely be done pretty easily, but then you mentioned you didn't want to drill any holes in your brand new boat. If you did want some new cupholders, these ones look pretty similar to the ones that KyGrady has on his boat, but if not, then they do make some rod holder extension cupholders that are removable. They aren't the prettiest, but I'm sure you could probably find some that are chrome or stainless steel if you were interested in them...

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
You can get SS rodholder/cupholders on amazon really cheap. FYI Rodholder/cupholders require a bigger hole, straight down. Drilling out an existing hole is way harder than drilling a new one. They require more width in the gunnel, clearance under the gunnel, and they require screws. Cupholders don't need screws and have a narrow lip.

FREEDOM!!!

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
You can get SS rodholder/cupholders on amazon really cheap. FYI Rodholder/cupholders require a bigger hole, straight down. Drilling out an existing hole is way harder than drilling a new one. They require more width in the gunnel, clearance under the gunnel, and they require screws. Cupholders don't need screws and have a narrow lip.
Good point. I was just trying to avoid drilling new holes. Might just have to put in a couple of basic cup holders.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
You can get SS rodholder/cupholders on amazon really cheap. FYI
Buyer beware. You get what you pay for from Amazon.
Last I checked, if you want 316ss, you'll need to buy somewhere else. However, if cleaning and polishing your cup holders regularly gives you pleasure, Amzon has just what you are looking for. ;)

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Buyer beware. You get what you pay for from Amazon.
Last I checked, if you want 316ss, you'll need to buy somewhere else. However, if cleaning and polishing your cup holders regularly gives you pleasure, Amzon has just what you are looking for. ;)
I have "Amarine" brand from amazon. no rust. but I hear you....

Reactions: family affair

brdawg2001

Reaction score
No way I buy stuff that needs to be high quality from Amazon or ebay...rolling the dice...

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Something like this looks pretty cool, it's kind of a two in one type of thing, though if you were fishing and had rods in the holders then you wouldn't have a place to put your drinks. And you'd have to drill out some more holes in the side of the boat, but it would give you more of a stock or factory look without going too crazy or anything.

baldraver

Reaction score
I put in some Mate cup holder/rod holders in the rear two cup places in the transom of my Marlin. It was not easy to secure, had to figure out some unconventional solutions, but they are well-made. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DYFFYBC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also got some GW branded rod holders for the rails. They aren't as heavy-duty as say Lee, but they look pretty and they are better than the original. I also added backing plates to all the rod holders. Taylor Marine sold them on Amazon, but I would just call them directly.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I put in some Mate cup holder/rod holders in the rear two cup places in the transom of my Marlin. It was not easy to secure, had to figure out some unconventional solutions, but they are well-made. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DYFFYBC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also got some GW branded rod holders for the rails. They aren't as heavy-duty as say Lee, but they look pretty and they are better than the original. I also added backing plates to all the rod holders. Taylor Marine sold them on Amazon, but I would just call them directly.
Those are the same brand that I linked in the comment above yours and though I haven't seen them before in person, I agree that at least via the pictures, they look quite purdy indeed.