GW Sportsman 180 Pro's & Con's

River-daze

Reaction score
I'm looking at a used 2005 Sportsman 180 w/ Yamaha 150hp 4-stroke engine. Any owner input about the boat - Pro's & Con's. On my sea trial it seemed to walk from side to side at low rpm (1200-2000). Thanks

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That low speed walk is not uncommon in boats with a healthy amount of deadrise....

Pros: A lot of boat for 18', solid, dry, plenty of power with a 150, fuel efficient (I can cruise all day at 3500 rpm and about 28-30 mph).

Cons: A heavy 18' boat, while a great ride, means you likely will need some sort of SUV to tow it.

River-daze

Reaction score
I have an F-250 for towing so no issue there. On the sea trial I trimmed the engine up and it seemed to help correct the walk a little. Any other suggestions (besides go faster)? Any others issues you have had? I really like the hull design for may day trips into cape cod bay (on good days).

capeguy

Reaction score
I assume you're looking at the boat at Bayside.

I have a Sportsman and keep it in the North River. I fish the South Shore, Dux Bay and PTown. Your waters I assume.

Mine is a 99 with a 130 2S. My friend has the identical setup to you.

Pros: Extremely large 18' boat. The ride is superb for its size, I take it 22miles to Ptown and to Stellwagon, it handles the waters better than I do. Layout and use of space is excellent. I wouldn't change a thing. This weekend I was doing 25 knots by GPS at 4800 rpm with 3/4 tank and 2 guys. About 1' seas. Excellent for 1 or 2 guys, good for 3, tough with 4. Easily trailered, launched solo.

Cons: Storage is tight as with any small boat, the 180 is better than others, but I find it tough to bring enough gear for multiple styles of fishing in one trip. The 150 is alot heavier than the 130 2S and my friend gets water in through the scuppers when standing in the stern.

I have not experienced the walk at 1200-2000 but never run in that range for long as its sort of in between...

Fire away with specifics.

Overall I could not find another 18 or 19 that compares...

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The only other recommendation I would have is to get tabs. My doesn't have it and I'm planning to add them. If you have dual batteries, the additional weight on the starboard side can affect the way the boat runs at speed.

capeguy

Reaction score
I agree with Parthery on the tabs. I don't have them and I get a bit of a lean to port when on plane. I attribute this to prop torque as I can nearly level the boat with the engine trim, but not quite. I usually have a buddy stand to starboard of the console and then we're level.

River-daze

Reaction score
Capeguy,
It is the one at Bayside. I will be keeping it in the North River as well. At Mary's. On the sea trial the boat felt great, very solid, dry. It was flat the day I took it out but it seems as though it would handle the chop well.
How does it handle going across the bay to Ptown? So no prop walk crawling up the North river? How far up river will you go? Past the highway overpass?

River-daze

Reaction score
Parthery,
Yes, it has tabs on it now. I'm glad they are there. Another thing I don't have to worry about later. It also has the dual batteries. Due you have the 150hp on yours? How are the scuppers sitting? Any problems with water in the bilge?

North River Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
180 Sportsman

I also had a sportsman ( a 1998 w/ a 130 2 stroke). I loved it- was a very capable boat- I moved up because I wanted more room for fishing and family- Cape guy is right- no more than 3 fisherman. It was dry and handled the seas much better than any 18' I have been on. I kept in the North River as well- up the river from Mary's.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
River-daze said:
Parthery,
Yes, it has tabs on it now. I'm glad they are there. Another thing I don't have to worry about later. It also has the dual batteries. Due you have the 150hp on yours? How are the scuppers sitting? Any problems with water in the bilge?

Mine has a 150 SWS 2 stroke...weighs more than the F150. Scuppers are right at the waterline at anchor. I do get some water in the bilge, but its coming in from the 2 inspection plates in the motor well which don't seal particularly well. I also tend to get rain water puddling on the back of my cover and it runs into the well and into the bilge. I usually pull the garboard plug after every trip, so its not a big deal.

sel1005

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
had the same set up, F150, loveed the boat except when two guys were on the same side; would tip very easily and a couple of times we nearly went overboard. Very stable ride, but with the deadrise, be aware its not a flats boat - you put too much weight on one side and it will tip at a pretty good angle.

that being said, it was one of the best small boats I ever owned, still regret selling it...

River-daze

Reaction score
sel1005 said:
had the same set up, F150, loveed the boat except when two guys were on the same side; would tip very easily and a couple of times we nearly went overboard. Very stable ride, but with the deadrise, be aware its not a flats boat - you put too much weight on one side and it will tip at a pretty good angle.

that being said, it was one of the best small boats I ever owned, still regret selling it...

That is what I have heard and has been a concern. When I took the sea trial I had a friend come along and the sales person so I could feel the shifting of weight at drift and on plane. I didn't seem as bad as I had expected, but that was one 1/2 hour ride.

capeguy

Reaction score
I'm at N River Marine, across from Mary's. You have to remember we're talking about a 17'10" boat with a 7'6" beam. Of course you are going to feel weight shifts. This weekend I had 2 adults (me and another dad) and 5 kids 3-9 on the boat in Ptown. We were drifting and fishing (27 stripers in about 3 hrs, up to 33") and no prob. Of course if both Dad's were on the same side with the boys, it was leaning hard.

I fish one weekend a year with 3 other guys and we do it. Its crowded with the 4 of us and we can't all be on one side, but what 18' boat won't tip???

I find the trip to Ptown is fine as long as you pick your day. Go over early and come back before the SW kicks up. The boat can handle the seas, it is a matter of comfort.

Last summer I went to the bank in 2-4s, it was a bit uncomfortable and slow coming home, and we had to be careful of the weight distribution, but the boat was fine.

Hands down this is the best 17-19' CC there is. No question.

Greatty

Reaction score
Got a '99 with a SWS 150 over here on Nantucket. Love it. Take it off the South shore with three of us (all 200+ lbs) and fish the rips. Parthery, I'm curious, you have both batteries on the starboard side? I have a dual setup with a battery under each jump seat. This eliminates the list. My scuppers are NOT underwater. Great boat for the size. What Capeguy and Parthery said.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Greatty said:
Got a '99 with a SWS 150 over here on Nantucket. Love it. Take it off the South shore with three of us (all 200+ lbs) and fish the rips. Parthery, I'm curious, you have both batteries on the starboard side? I have a dual setup with a battery under each jump seat. This eliminates the list. My scuppers are NOT underwater. Great boat for the size. What Capeguy and Parthery said.

Where is your oil tank? Under the port seat?

With the livewell pump, oil tank and water separator all together, there is no room for another battery there. Mine was a factory installed option and in 1998 GW put them both under the starboard seat.

They do put one under each seat nowadays...which makes sense from a weight distribution standpoint given the loss of the oil tank.

River-daze

Reaction score
Well, I pulled the trigger on the 180. I hope to have it later today. Thanks for all the input. The battery set up is one under each jump seat as well. Bayside Marine will be installing a Garmin 740s chartplotter and vhf radio w/ 4' antenna.

capeguy

Reaction score
River,
Couple other points...

I have only been up river as far as Norris (just pass Bridge Street), simply because its all no-wake and takes time. Its actually a good trip from the 3A bridge (Mary's) that far up. I usually have kids so they don't have the patience...

The 180 is a great N River boat. It is small enough to work the river for stripers with a fly rod and light tackle (foredeck is a good casting platform), perfect for trips to the Spit, and plenty capable to run outside on decent days. While not a flats boat, it only draws about 12-14" and therefore can get in some skinny water. I like to go up river to Bridge street and drift the falling tide back to 3A, casting to all the streams.

The run to Race Point takes about 1 hr (less in flat seas) from the River and is a great ride in the early morning. The bank is even less to the SW corner. I prefer a day where the wind will go SW in the afternoon as you can always run straight west from RP and the seas drop as you go and take advantage of the lee, then turn north. NW/NE stay in the river as there is no cover...

I have a battery under each aft seat and the oil tank is to port. I don't think weight causes the lean as my boat is perfectly level at rest. I think its the prop torque as even putting a 200lb+ guy on the staboard side doesn't fix the lean, only trimming the engine does.

Enjoy the boat!

River-daze

Reaction score
Picked up the boat this afternoon from Bayside in Duxbury. They had it fueled up and waiting at the dock when I arrived. Got a good feel for the boat leaving Duxbury bay and cruising back to the North river. Me and the wife. The boat handled great. Very happy with my decision. I hope to spend a good part of the weekend on it - weather allowing.

GOA

Reaction score
180 Sportsman

Congrats...I'm happy with my 2000 180 with a 150 two stroke Yamaha..you are going to love it with the 4 stroke. Enjoy it in good health
GOA :D :)