Hard Top or Bimini

Fishtales

Reaction score
The structure is heavy in addition to the top itself. I don't think you want that much weight and size object to move. In addition to the obvious movement problems, I'm sure it wouldn't hold together too well in the rough seas.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I suspect (another guess) that easily at least a 1/3 of the weight of the tower is the solid fiberglass top - and possibly Grady is quoting the weight of the boxes, too?

To make it a collapsible fixture... it would certainly be a neat project. You could figure out a way with a pulley system to lower and raise it - that would be the easiest part of this endevour. The biggest challenge is along the lines of what Fish mentioned - making sure it's secure when underway. A friend of mine has a collapsible wakeboard tower on his Mastercraft. Obviously a sports tower gets a tremendous load put onto it. The tower is HEAVY - the only reason I know that is, unfortunately, it's a manually collapsing tower and we need to lower it to get in to the garage... which means lowering to get in and then raising it again once it's out... every single time. The "joints" that are used where the legs come apart to allow it to pivot down are VERY secure. Once it's locked in, it's as solid as a tower that doesn't collapse. IT could get pricey to redesign your tower to be collapsible, but with some thought and $$$, I think it's doable.

Fishtales

Reaction score
You'd have to do quite a bit of analysis work - likely a full blown FEA on something like that. Not worth the trouble if you ask me.

Ramblin Reck

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm currently shopping for similar year seafarer as well, however due to my fishing preferences, I am trying to avoid a hard top and go for the bimini. I understand the advantages of a hardtop for running offshore or doing a lot of trolling, but I mainly cast artificial in calmer waters and would prefer the option to fold it away. Plus, I keep my current boat under a carport in my yard, which I would have to figure out how to raise up a few feet to fit a grady with a hard top underneath.

Has anyone removed a hardtop from a Adventure or Seafarer? Does it leave a lot of patchwork to cover up where everything was secured? I've been looking for a non-hardtop boat, but if I find one I'd like would be willing to remove and possibly work out a trade with someone on here looking to make the bimini/hardtop switch.
If you get a Seafarer with a hard top I will buy it! The foot print to hide is minimal.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
There is an active thread on this site by Russ. He just did one on his boat - details the weight, cost installation . Bigger boat than yours but you will get some good info