Help! 282 Sailfish or 265 Express

Bama96

Reaction score
Well I have gotten a ton of activity on my 222 the last few days. Got a guy coming Saturday to take a look. So maybe she will sell. My problem is the next boat. I have found a 265 Express and a 282 Sailfish I like. Both in my budget. The hulls seem similar as far as weight and beam. Which way should I go? Both 4 stroke power. Will be used for offshore bottom fishing and trolling. Also needs to double as a family cruiser in the bay and near shore. Opinions? Is this a fair comparison?

tranquilo

Reaction score
WOW! tough choice. I looked at both of these boats and chose the 265. I liked the center helm and cockpit design better. Having 4 kids, I can fit my whole family in seats under the hard top while we are cruising. You can't do that on the sailfish. Also the transom is better suited for fishing. The cabin in the sailfish has a little more room in it with the mid cabin. neither one is large enough for my whole family to sleep in so that was not even an issue for us. My friend had a sailfish and I thought it was a great riding and very stable boat. My only problem was that the hard top with the rocket launchers were very hard to reach, especially in rough seas. I loved the walk around though. crawl all over them and see what works best for you. You really can't go wrong with either. Best of luck.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Better let the admiral make the choice, if you know what's good for you!

Plum Crazy

Reaction score
I have the same problem here with my wife likes the 282 sailfish and I want the 265 express. This have been going on for a month now. I wished I never took her with me to look at the boats. The only thing she wanted the boat to have a head & hot water, while that changed when she saw the two boats. Good Luck !!!

Lainie J

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Sailfish

Just go for the Marlin ,the wife and kids will love it better than the other two. I had the sailfish, great boat but no comparison to the Marlin in cabin. I have 2 girls and we weekend often, very comfortable. The sailfish was way to tight. My neighbor has the sailfish now with kids and he is looking to move up because of the cabin size.

Good luck

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
If you are going to spend any real time sleeping on the boat go for the Sailfish....If 90+% of the time you are going day fishing go for the 265.

They are both great hulls and capable platforms but if you have a family and will "Camp" often on the boat I don't think you'll be happy with the 265. If it'll just be putting around with them during the daytime the 265 will be fine.

The Marlin - Especially if you can find one with the bench seat option - Would really be the cat's A$$ but now you are into a much bigger boat......LOT'S of options out there right now and decent deals to be had as well.....

Bama96

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses guys. The family will be on it mainly for day cruises and daytime naps. I will use it mostly to fish. The center helm and the seating on the 265 are attractive. The drawback with it seems to be less cabin space, no transom seating, no swim platform and limited space getting to the bow. While the 282 has less helm room/seating. It does offer the aft berth, transom seat, and more walking space to the bow. The wife likes the wood in the cabin of the Sailfish. She said it looked more finished than the 265. My fishing partner and I like the look of the 265. We also like the motors tucked in tight on the transom. The Marlin is too big to trailer with my 1/2 ton 4wd and might not fit in the slip. We were hoping to get something we could trailer short distances from the slip for fuel runs. Saves about $1 to $1.25 a gallon than getting it on the water.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That's a tough one. Since you're down South, unless the Sailfish has AC, forget about sleeping in the aft berth but it does store stuff and keeps the main part uncluttered. I do the fish/family thing and the walk-around lets my daughter get around the boat without worrying. For fishing, it would be better with the engines closer but it's not that bad. For long trips, the 265 holds more fuel and will take a head sea a little better.

I trailer the Sailfish twice a year. For me it's not worth the hastle of something happening while towing an oversize load to save a few $ on gas. The oversize permit has quite a few restrictions that are just a PIA.

Just don't piss off the wife!

Bama96

Reaction score
Grog said:
That's a tough one. Since you're down South, unless the Sailfish has AC, forget about sleeping in the aft berth but it does store stuff and keeps the main part uncluttered. I do the fish/family thing and the walk-around lets my daughter get around the boat without worrying. For fishing, it would be better with the engines closer but it's not that bad. For long trips, the 265 holds more fuel and will take a head sea a little better.

I trailer the Sailfish twice a year. For me it's not worth the hastle of something happening while towing an oversize load to save a few $ on gas. The oversize permit has quite a few restrictions that are just a PIA.

So if I cant sleep in the berth or the kids nap down there should I be looking at a 273/283 CC or the 306 Bimini?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You can sleep in the lower berth, the V berth is no bargain when it's hot out either, but a simple table fan can help or upgrade to an a/c later if desired and the boat wasn't equipped that way.

The lower berth is a single berth. Not for hanging out in.

Bring your daughter to a dealer that has one and have her go down there - if she's not clastrophic (sp ?) she wil be fine.

tYou will be happy fishing on the Sailfish and know you won't have to put up with grief from the complaints you get not keeping the admiral happy.

I believe since there are many more Sails for sale, you potentially can save plenty by going Sailfish as well - if price matters to you.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I own a Sailfish and love it. Traded up from a seafarer to a gulfstream to the sailfish. Of cours you know it's either the Marlin or Express next. I can't say I have ever been on a 265 but I do like the layout of the cockpit. Intersting ther was a 265 right beside mine in April when I was doing bottom painting and I was suprised how different the hulls were, The 265 was much more of a deep V than the Sailfish. I was discsussing the difference with the dealer and he mentioned that many customers did not like some of the antics of the 265 in rough water. He said it had a tendency plough to one side/ He claimed they tested the original hul without the hardtop? He did say that the addition of heavier 4 strokes seemed to help the problem. Again this is all second hand not first hand experiene. Maybe some other owners could comment?

Bama96

Reaction score
I have heard that the 265 is a little harder to drive but when you get the hang of it and hit the sweet spot it rides great. It likes trim and very little tab so I have read. The Sailfish is the wifes favorite because of the transom seat and "the pretty wood floors in the cabin." :roll:

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
Plum Crazy said:
I have the same problem here with my wife likes the 282 sailfish and I want the 265 express. !!

I had this same problem too - and bought the 265 without telling her - until the deal was done -

The truth of the matter - the 265 is a hard core fishing boat - have a heart to heart with yourself -

Are you the type of guy who will be filling the fish locker with fish or beach toys?

Do you see the fridge as a means of chilling the chip dip or keeping fresh squid cold?

Is the live well used for storing drinks or keeping bait alive?

The 265 has superior range, fish locker size and live well size compared to the 282 -

The 282 has a much larger cabin -

I joke that I bought it without my wifes approval - but the realality is we narrowed it down to the 282 or 265 - and I jumped on a great deal of a 265-

Tim

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
I just saw you post on the woods floors - again what do you plat too use it for - not what you THINK you will use it for - but be honest with yourself!

FYI - I have taken the hose down into my cabin to clean blood off the floor from an over night of tuna fishing!

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bama96 said:
Grog said:

So if I cant sleep in the berth or the kids nap down there should I be looking at a 273/283 CC or the 306 Bimini?

When it's hot and humid, the aft berth is not where you want to be. Up in the "V" will be much better especially if the front hatch is open forcing air down there. The 306 will be better at fishing than either of your two choices but..... You might be able to talk the Admiral into a 336 :lol: .

Bama96

Reaction score
fishingFINattic said:
I just saw you post on the woods floors - again what do you plat too use it for - not what you THINK you will use it for - but be honest with yourself!

FYI - I have taken the hose down into my cabin to clean blood off the floor from an over night of tuna fishing!
I guess I need to get the Tournament 275 or 307. :shock: I am actually keeping the Admiral from seeing those. The handling of the 265 has me concerned. I also would like to have a small Cobia tower. Would the 282 be better for that?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Grady discontinued the 265 some time ago. Wonder why?

Ironically, they discontinued the legendary 30 yr in production Sailfish too recently in favor of a larger Chesapeake. The target customer profile has changed over time to more multitasking and higher level of appointments - no longer options.

You will have to go down to a gulfstream to find a tigher transom you may find more suitable to fishing. For an express style bridge, you will have to go to a 30 ft express, and take the euro transom and no walkaround with it.

Center consoles remain the only true single purpose fishing machines on the water. A cabin boat with a galley and head, that's the province of the admiral don't you know, with things like "corian" and "teak/holly" scoring big time.

Everthing else is multipurpose. Dual consoles are generally not suited to overnighting. So if you want to overnight, it's going to be a cabin with a galley and head.

It sounds like you want a 265, but will have to compromise with a Sailfish to keep the peace. Join the club!

Bama96

Reaction score
You are right. My fishing partner is in love with the 265. I like the design as well but the "Boss" will like the Sailfish over the 265 when she sees them in person. :roll:

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
Dont let the handling slow you down - 1/2 season and you will have it down pat -

Kinda like driving a high performance car - it takes a little getting used to the tight steering, short throw of the shifter, and stiff clutch -

No big deal at all -

Tim

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The handling issue has possibly been overstated in the interests of trying to be genuine as well as pointing out the differences.
Like ALL smaller boats it is really only noticeable in rougher conditions and the upside is a better ride once you get it dialled.
I would think the cockpit, helm and cabin layout is more of a consideration than any handling traits.