Help! 282 Sailfish or 265 Express

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Don't worry about the handling, you'll be learning either boat anyway.

eppem

Reaction score
If you like the 265 and found one available, you should jump all over it. They are very hard to find. As you can guess, I own one...VERY happy...dont get sucked up in the "handling" posts. This boat is a beast and eats waves. Most with issues are overtrimming the engines and the tabs....get er up on plan and push the throttles to 4000 rpms and enjoy!

mronzo

Reaction score
I have 2000 265 but if my wife was into boating/fishing at all I'd
probably have a 282 0r Marlin!
but it's mostly me and the boys so fish on!

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Before I bought my 02 265, I actually was looking for a sailfish, and the dealer had a 265. I saw the layout and amount of usable space and was sold. the comment form the dealer was the sailfish was designed more for a family with small children, while the 265 was designed more for fishing. My use of the boat is mostly fishing. So it is mostly me and a few friends. the helm area and layout on the 265 sold me as it can fit myself and fishing buddies. Handling is nothing to worry about.

Bama96

Reaction score
Thanks for your opinions guys. I have a viewing of each boat scheduled for this Thursday. No sea trial just going to sit in the helm and kick the tires. My 222 has not sold yet but have had a lot of inquiries and two showings. The guy with the 282 is interested in a trade. So we shall see. I should get this done right as gas hits the $4 mark this summer. :shock:

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
We went thru this same quandry last year before everything took a dump. So now we're keeping what we have, and like the easy trailerability.

The express models are without a doubt the best looking Gradys out there. The center helm, seating, and overall cockpit layout is fantastic. Two things didn't work for us, our 3 pomeranians would fall off the side decks, so that was out. The walk-around decks work great. And there is no third birth so overnighting would be more difficult with our son. He would be camping in the cockpit. I also didn't care for the fridge unit under the birth. Oh well.

Either boat will trailer with the proper tow rig and over-size permits. The Sail is a bigger boat and much more family oriented. Obviously you've figured that out.

I envy all those guys that make the express work for them. They are definately the coolest looking boat.

Sounds like the sailfish gets the nod for your family. You won't be sorry.

Joint Venture

Reaction score
Just my .02

Allow me to place a disclaimer here - I co-own a 2002 28 Sailfish - and I love it.

I also went through this exact exercise (Express vs. Sailfish) about 2 years ago. Below I will outline some things to keep in mind as you form your decision:

Cockpit size - compare the two. I drift fish for Stripers and Fluke often...and can comfortably fish 3 guys down the starboard side. That would be hard to do with the Express.

V Bunk - I prefer the V bunk...as I can walk up the V to access the anchor locker, storage, etc. I believe the bunk in the Express is built in and the full forward cabin. I only overnight here and there, therefore prerer the access.

Livewell - Sailfish has a 40 gallon. I can easily store 50 live adult bunker for a full day. I wasn't aware the Express had a bigger livewell...that is a plus. I think the Marlin and Chesapeake livewells are even smaller...why would Grady make such a move? Doesn't make sense to me...

Walkaround vs Express - I throw a 10 foot castnet to catch adult bunker for bass baits. It can be easier to open the net and spot the bunker from the raised bow. Carrying the net to the bow...while the boat rises and falls with every wave...is much safer in the deeply recessed walkaround.

Side Helm vs. Center Helm - When I am running the boat, I prefer to have a lookout stationed next to me at all times (Raritan Bay is a floating mine field). Captain to the starboard, lookout to the port, equals evenly distributed weight provided 2 adults of similar size.

Transom - It is easier to fish around the transom of the Express than the Sailfish - no denying that. Though, I didn't want to have to colapse everytime I trimmed up the engines, and didn't want to have to raise everytime I dropped the engines in. Honestly...the Express probably wins this comparison.

Aft Berth - Great for storage of backpacks, gear for the day, Ditch bag, Boat cushions, extra water, etc.

The wife, son, and I slept on the boat last weekend. It was a bit tight to be honest with all of us on the bunk. Next time I will use the Aft Berth provided it is not too hot.

While I am married with a 2 year old...I would consider myself a very serious fisherman. At 35 years of age, I have been fishing since 2, on a boat my entire life, running one since 15, and got my Captains License 5 years ago. The Sailfish is every bit the fishing boat the Express is. I say this because when I read the above posts, I got the impression the Express was being described as more the fishing boat, which I don't agree with. Don't get me wrong...the Express is a great boat...just like the Sailfish.

Once again...this is just my opinion. Good luck to you...either boat is a fantastic choice.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
J/V... you made a lot of good points to consider, and I agree with them. I considered the 265 Express too, but for many of the reasons you mentioned, chose another Sailfish (I had a '93 Sailfish for about 12 years).

My wife is my main fishing partner, and we have fished, (and caught) :D a lot of fish on the Sailfish; drifting, trolling, and chunking while anchored. I have even had tuna walk me completely around the boat, while anchored, and I successfully boated him even after getting wrapped around the anchor line. :shock:

Being in our 60's, I am concerned with my wife having safe access to the bow, on an everyday basis for line handling, as well as when anchoring. For that reason alone, I didn't want a smaller express-style boat, but also wanted the better cabin, and aft berth.

In the end, both boats are excellent fishing boats, so get on each, look'em over good, and see what works best for you.

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
On my 265 I routinly fish 4 or 5 people drifting bucktails/jig for bass and blues - no problem - line up on the side, and with the motors tucked in tight we drop lines over the back -

Here are some more specs to help compare:

265 Express
Weight w/o engines 5,390 lb
Beam 9'7"
Cockpit sq ft 58 ft^2
Fuel 250 gallons
Livewell 40 gallons
Fish box 300 quart
Freshwater 20 gallon

282 Sailfish
Weigh w/o engines 5,800lbs
Beam 9'6"
Cockpit sq ft 59 ft^2
Fuel 207 gallons
Live well 40 gallons
Fish box 251 qt aft 166 qt stb

All pretty close to me, except for the fuel capacity -

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
fishingFINattic said:
On my 265 I routinly fish 4 or 5 people drifting bucktails/jig for bass and blues - no problem - line up on the side, and with the motors tucked in tight we drop lines over the back -

Here are some more specs to help compare:

282 Sailfish
Weigh w/o engines 5,800lbs
Beam 9'6"
Cockpit sq ft 59 ft^2
Fuel 207 gallons
Live well 40 gallons
Fish box 251 qt aft 166 qt stb

All pretty close to me, except for the fuel capacity -

I don't know what it is on the new ones, but my '02 Sailfish 282 holds 220 gallons of fuel; 150 main tank; 70 aux.

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
Capt Bill - I pulled that data from a 2005 Grady Brochure - the 265 has been 250 gallons the entire production run - it is possible that the 282 has changed thru the years -

Tim