HELP...Transom Swell - Express 360

L

LBass

First post...trying to become a Grady owner. Looking at a 2008 360. Surveyor noticed the aluminum trim deboned on the transom. He says everything seems solid. Should I run or is this something that can be repaired...

Attachments

• 8BD3D9FC-01EA-4CCB-827B-B27709A2A48A.jpeg
    8BD3D9FC-01EA-4CCB-827B-B27709A2A48A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 198
  • 266121E7-340F-4DB5-B3E4-45769BB0421A.jpeg
    266121E7-340F-4DB5-B3E4-45769BB0421A.jpeg
    76.7 KB · Views: 192
  • CDCAA515-5DC0-4F13-AFD5-1672420D440E.jpeg
    CDCAA515-5DC0-4F13-AFD5-1672420D440E.jpeg
    59.1 KB · Views: 195

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd ask the seller if you can witness two small pilot holes being drilled into the transom on the inside. You want to find out if it leaks/weaps. If not, use a moisture meter. The al cap looks like it needs to be taken off, the seam reviewed and sealed and a new cap installed. This could be nothing, or it could be a transom waiting for a repair.

L

LBass

I'd ask the seller if you can witness two small pilot holes being drilled into the transom on the inside. You want to find out if it leaks/weaps. If not, use a moisture meter. The al cap looks like it needs to be taken off, the seam reviewed and sealed and a new cap installed. This could be nothing, or it could be a transom waiting for a repair.
Thanks! I’m told there was moisture and a little swelling. Appreciate the info...

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I love Grady and all, but it seems they have not learned their lesson . Their design of capping off the transoms is their Achilles heel. Even with their all composite boats after 2015 you would figure they would do something different.

I would do the small pilot hole test and get a surveyor who really knows their stuff. The 360 is a sweet boat. I hope it all checks out for you.

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
33 at my local marina I walked by. Typical Grady shit. Like Smokey mountain said. It’s their Achilles heel.

Attachments

• 009D08EE-9FEA-45C6-A025-C38531698907.jpg
    009D08EE-9FEA-45C6-A025-C38531698907.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 134
L

LBass

Thank you all of the assistance! There are not many 360s out there, have my heart set on one. Is this something that can be replaced? Can/will GW do it?

dainlaroche

Reaction score
It’s not that hard to lift the motor off and pull the transom cap off. I’d want to see what it’s like under there before I bought the boat. If the transom is swollen and bulging it must be wet. If it’s wet that’s a problem that will need to be dealt with one way or the other. It may be wet and solid and you’ll get years off use or it may be wet and weak and need a new transom. Get an estimate for a transom replacement and figure that in the price.

L

LBass

It’s not that hard to lift the motor off and pull the transom cap off. I’d want to see what it’s like under there before I bought the boat. If the transom is swollen and bulging it must be wet. If it’s wet that’s a problem that will need to be dealt with one way or the other. It may be wet and solid and you’ll get years off use or it may be wet and weak and need a new transom. Get an estimate for a transom replacement and figure that in the price.
Thanks for the advise! Yes, I'm told by the surveyor it's "solid" but swollen in a few places (mostly by the top) and moisture is defiantly present.

Paul_A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Varies by region but numbers I've seen range from 4-7,000.

Swelling is not normal and is indicative of a fair amount of water penetration.

A rather expensive boat like the 360 having had a transom replacement would in my mind be a less desirable boat compared to one in good factory condition. Kind of like a Benz that was in a fender bender.

Point is if you buy it take resale into account when negotiating. I would walk if I didn't feel like I was getting a very good deal.

L

LBass

Varies by region but numbers I've seen range from 4-7,000.

Swelling is not normal and is indicative of a fair amount of water penetration.

A rather expensive boat like the 360 having had a transom replacement would in my mind be a less desirable boat compared to one in good factory condition. Kind of like a Benz that was in a fender bender.

Point is if you buy it take resale into account when negotiating. I would walk if I didn't feel like I was getting a very good deal.
Thanks! One of my concerns as well, may be able to last a few years but then what? If it get's worse I'll never be able to resell...

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If you can afford to purchase a 360, then a transom replacement isn't the end of the world if everything else is in good condition. You would certainly be able to sell it after the repair.
It's like buying a used home, there always seems to be a compromise.

Good luck with negotiating,

Lee

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'm taking the contrarian view. Why settle. If you find the transom needs major repair, move on and find a boat that was better cared for. Plenty of boats in the ocean.

Delta2020

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have a 1999 GW Islander just finished having the transom replaced the cost was 7K.I have taken excellent care of this boat but noticed the F/G bowing at the top when it was taken apart the wood was falling apart .JD Fiberglass in Hull Mass did a great job repairing

Reactions: igblack87

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Not sure where you live, if that transom freezes and expands in the winter it could start to crack the gel coat. I would factor in the cost of a new transom or walk.

L

LBass

Not sure where you live, if that transom freezes and expands in the winter it could start to crack the gel coat. I would factor in the cost of a new transom or walk.
We’re in Maryland, I suspect this is what we think caused the issue to begin with.

Delta2020

Reaction score
Model
Islander
The issue is the way the stern was constructed .The stern is made of wood and in between the wood is a large piece of aluminum and moisture builds up over the years and causes the wood to rot.When my stern was opened up the wood fell apart .Think twice before you buy that boat .

L

LBass

The issue is the way the stern was constructed .The stern is made of wood and in between the wood is a large piece of aluminum and moisture builds up over the years and causes the wood to rot.When my stern was opened up the wood fell apart .Think twice before you buy that boat .
Thanks for the feedback! I’m beginning to lean that way...I guess it’s time to find another 360 to look at, unfortunately there’s not many out there...