Here We Go- 265 Express 200 Suzuki repower. Questions for the experts

SeaVee

Reaction score
Ordered in Oct, dropping her off Friday, I’ve seen some great info from Skunkboat, Tile Wave and others. Wanted to list my biggest questions here but feel free to add any other suggestions/Knowledge for this set up.
2001 265 Express. 880 hrs on rig. Coming out of 200 HPDI’s:

1. Mounting hole- were you guys at?
2. Steering ram, keep or new. Boat is lift kept, fully tilting engines up is not critical.
3. Props- what size 4 blades are you running or suggest?
4. Garmin Autopilot install. What size pump? Where to mount pump- full disclosure, I love a good AP but listening to a loud pump when trolling for hours is super annoying to me. Looking for an easy place to mount, but don’t want to hear it if necessary. What size GHC? I have no interest in running the AP through my set of 1040xsv’s. Seems like the smaller the better
5. Batteries. Time for some new ones? I know AGM’s are the best, but I’ve been having good luck with old school Interstate batteries. Last set was blems from the local Interstate outlet- saved a ton of dough.

Outrigger question: I want to run the tension cord thru the gunnel to a cam lock below. Obviously scared of water intrusion into the gunnel, ok to have the shop do it when they’re touching up some other fiberglass? Anyone doing this on a 265? Trying to figure out where to drill

I know I’ve missed some things - but appreciate in advance any knowledge you guys can scare TIA!

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
1) My Zukes were mounted 1 hole down from the top.
2) The dealer who installed mine recommended a new ram, being as mine was probably the original. My hoses looked like they had already been done.
3) Same props as Skunk 4 blade 15.25 x 22
4) Can't really help on this one, as mine still has its probably original Simrad AP11. It's on the list to replace in the future
5) See Skunk's write up on batteries. Also something I'll be doing in the future.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Low as they go. 1 down because it would hit top of transom before top hole.

Kept the cylinder and the yamaha brackets. Had to replace the tie bar to get motors to come out of water. You want it done right so they come out of water. They will. Details in my Df200AP post
https://www.greatgrady.com/threads/265-express-suzuki-df200apxw2.29099/

You could be the guy that tries PowerTech LSF 4x16x20.... feel lucky?

SmartpumpV2, Mount behind tackle drawer under cockpit sink. CCU behind tackle drawer in cabin under the Captain's feet. GHC20 next to wheel. see my long posts about it.
https://www.greatgrady.com/threads/autopilot-garmin-reactor-40-with-smartpump-info.35507/
https://www.greatgrady.com/threads/autopilot-upgrade-from-manual-hydraulic.26808/

I have old school Lead Acid Walmart. Haven't drank the AGM or LithiumFe koolaid yet. Don't forget to have then install Aux Charging cables in the zukes.
see my post on 265 batt config https://www.greatgrady.com/threads/new-battery-config-for-265.25744/

Drill baby drill don't be afraid. Its just glass and plywood. You gotta drill for more rodholders anyways.:p
Assuming you have the wishbone jrs.... I would say the hole goes right where the existing rigger bungee hook is. Look under the gunnel. If there is nothing there you're good to go. PLAN ahead!
You'll need some kind of pretty SS grommet in the hole.

If you do a Search, Search TAGS, Tag 265 Express you will find all of my Threads that I started regarding the 265 express. You won't have to sift thru other posts.
If you start a 265 related thread for one of your projects, please Tag it 265 Express

Screen Shot 2023-03-15 at 7.17.55 PM.png Screen Shot 2023-03-15 at 7.19.01 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: coldpizza

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
we won't know until some does it;)

Maybe even better mpg? maybe a slower plane holding speed? idk no way to know

I'm pretty happy with the mpg, top speed, hole shot and grip and "shitty seas" "heavy boat" performance of suzuki 4blades that I have so I'm done experimenting.
Some have said that the suzuki props are made by Solas and they think powertech props are "better". idk. never had them.

I have the older hull with the 22 deg deadrise. It does not like to go less that 25mph without lots of attention. But it was the same way with OX66s with 19Ms

Don't forget to have them install Aux charging cables

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Get the smart pump and follow Skunkboats posts. There is plenty of room to mount the components behind the tackle station in the cabin, which is the same space as under the deckplate in the helm. Additionally there is space under the sink on the port side. A lot of rigging goes through these spaces and access is good. I think tha the GHC20 is smaller and maybe a better fit on the 265 dash compared with the GHC50.

SeaVee

Reaction score
Fellas- I bought this set of props for my HPDI’s before one blew. Do you think they would work on my new 200 Zuk’s?9C115EE1-23E8-4E29-8AED-AB380032377C.jpeg

SeaVee

Reaction score
One more question- mine didn’t come with a swim platform. Family wants one and it would make it easier to get on it when it’s on the trailer. Any pics or suggestions would be appreciated!

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Fellas- I bought this set of props for my HPDI’s before one blew. Do you think they would work on my new 200 Zuk’s?
99.99% NO

They are 14 1/4 dia. not going to cut it. Even if they were 15 1/4, the 17 pitch isn't nearly enough.
Tilewave and I are running 4x 15.25 X 22

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
One more question- mine didn’t come with a swim platform. Family wants one and it would make it easier to get on it when it’s on the trailer. Any pics or suggestions would be appreciated!
Don't have one on the 265 but...had one on my last boat. I used an "inboard/Outbard" type even though it was an outboard. That way the bolts were all above waterline.

Measure twice and think... There are different widths. You probably can't go over 18" wide

SeaVee

Reaction score
Thx- fellas, please keep the info coming!

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Most 265's came with this type of patform or very similar. https://www.boatoutfitters.com/outb...5uj-_QIVU_LjBx0eNAhwEAQYASABEgJp7vD_BwE#93=17

My 265 had it mounted on the port side, but I have seen them mounted on both sides. It definitely makes getting in and out of the boat easier when its both in the water and on land. If memory serves I think there is just one screw/bolt under the water line.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
If you get the I/O style you can keep all bolts up high. It would be a bitch to get to the inside of lower bolt on a 265.
You'll have 2 handles to pull yourself up with. Theres no law that says you have to use an Outboard style. They only put the inward leg down because many outboard transoms do not have space for it up high.

Screen Shot 2023-03-28 at 10.53.49 AM.png

https://www.boatoutfitters.com/inboard-outboard-swim-platform-with-2-step-ladder

SeaVee

Reaction score
Update. Supposedly these are the latest version and wiring harnesses are different . Waiting on those and some fiberglass work. Digging the Black!64B65E36-A23C-4643-B5B0-31C57BF9093A.jpeg

SeaVee

Reaction score
Any suggestions on getting a replacement GW sticker ? That “G” kills me!

Automated14

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Any suggestions on getting a replacement GW sticker ? That “G” kills me!
check ebay. I think that's where I got my replacements. slightly different size so you may have to replace the whole thng and not just the G. My '04 dried out stickers came off easy with a heat gun and a touch of foul language.

SeaVee

Reaction score
Getting ready to order some Powertech LSF4 16x20’s from PropGoods, thoughts?
Thanks for any input.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
They should be the right prop. I have the Suzuki 4x 15.25 x 22 (pn 990c0-00510-22p and 990c0-51L-22p )which have worked well on several 265s with 200 zukes.
If I didn't already pay for zuke props I would have tried those LSF4 16 x20s.

SeaVee

Reaction score
So- just got a quick call from the dealer. They tried the Powertech LFS4 16x20’s. Said it blew out a lot and sometimes one side would randomly blow out on plane causing a nice heel over. I didn’t get numbers but in their opinion the Suzuki. 15 1/4 x 22’s worked fine. I am anxious to get the boat, thinking of returning the Powertechs, thoughts?