Hit a buoy

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Hello all.....I was running my 24 Offshore out of my back bay well before sunrise yesterday to catch some striper action. The channel meanders back and forth and the few buoys there are are not lighted. I grew up in the area so I am very comfortable running at night but I still take it easy....maybe 15 kts max. I had only my navigation lights on and my chartplotter set as dim as possible. I was only a few minutes out of my slip so I guess my eyes had not fully adjusted (or maybe I am just old) and for the first time in 50+ years managed to hit the first channel marker....a tin can type. It sounded way worse than it was.....no real damage....just a bad scuff right under the flare just aft of the bow. No cracks or anything. My question is....how should I repair it? I am familiar with Marine Tex but that is not the right thing I know....any advice would be appreciated.

cosmic

Reaction score
I have the same problem getting older and seeing at night! Scuff is just gelcoat. Almost any prepackaged gelcoat repair kit will work and includes everything needed. Matching the color perfectly is the hard part. Maybe others have suggestion for that. The whole process isn't difficult to DIY and lots of YouTube videos out there. If you've used MarineTex it's sort of the same. Gelcoat may need to be covered with plastic or wax paper to cure, and sands much easier than MarineTex, which is an epoxy I think.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Hello all.....I was running my 24 Offshore out of my back bay well before sunrise yesterday to catch some striper action. The channel meanders back and forth and the few buoys there are are not lighted. I grew up in the area so I am very comfortable running at night but I still take it easy....maybe 15 kts max. I had only my navigation lights on and my chartplotter set as dim as possible. I was only a few minutes out of my slip so I guess my eyes had not fully adjusted (or maybe I am just old) and for the first time in 50+ years managed to hit the first channel marker....a tin can type. It sounded way worse than it was.....no real damage....just a bad scuff right under the flare just aft of the bow. No cracks or anything. My question is....how should I repair it? I am familiar with Marine Tex but that is not the right thing I know....any advice would be appreciated.
Repair? You said there was no damage - just a scuff, right? In that case, just buff it out. If it's a scuff in the color of the can (green I assume, since you didn't say "nun"), then you may be able to take it off with mineral spirits (or similar).

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Repair? You said there was no damage - just a scuff, right? In that case, just buff it out. If it's a scuff in the color of the can (green I assume, since you didn't say "nun"), then you may be able to take it off with mineral spirits (or similar).
Hi Dennis......the "scuff" is a bit worse than just some green paint. The gel coat is damaged....It definitely needs to be sanded down then filled. When I said no real damage I meant nothing more than cosmetic.....and nothing below the waterline.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
OK, now I understand better, Joe. So Marine Tex IS an option, then?

So this depends a lot on how extensive it is. If there's an impact area with spider cracking... that cracking will eventually start to get worse. It's still primarily cosmetic, though. Cracks need to be ground out/widened and a shallow hole should be drilled at the end of each crack to prevent it from spreadening. Then you can fill with gelcoat (Spectrum gelcoat) or get a patch kt and mix your own and finish by sanding/buffing. It's going to near impossible to get a match, though, through Spectrum since that will be the "brand new" color of your hull. Mixing your own is also an art form - so again, a perfect match is near impossible. But one way or the other you should be able to get close. Marine Tex or PC-11 (less expensive and easier then MT) is a perfectly acceptable fix.

But again, you have first widen every crack before you can fix it.

Reactions: Uncle Joe

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Is It down to fiberglass or just in the gell coat? pictures would help!

Rustygaff

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
If simply a gelcoat gouge or scuffing, use the Spectrum gelcoat pre-colored to match your particular model. Easy to mix, apply, and wet sand. I have used it on several minor gel issues with great results. One of the keys for gelcoat repair is color match which most amateurs struggle with. Spectrum does a decent job pre-mixing the color variants.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
It appears to be down to the fiberglass in a spot or two.
Joe, I think you need a picture. This started out as a "scuff" and is now at least a "gouge". It would be good for us to know exactly what is going on so we don't have to keep changing our answers. Who knows - this could end up being a case where there is actual fiberglass breakage and interior damage.

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Joe, I think you need a picture. This started out as a "scuff" and is now at least a "gouge". It would be good for us to know exactly what is going on so we don't have to keep changing our answers. Who knows - this could end up being a case where there is actual fiberglass breakage and interior damage.
I hear you Dennis but.....the damage is cosmetic....there are no cracks...there is an ugly scuff mark about the 2/3 the size of a dinner plate. I have absolutely no concerns about any structural damage whatsoever. I asked the group here the question about repairs because I have never had any luck with this type of work. I suck as a drywall taper....I was just hoping to learn what may be the best/easiest product to use. I didn't take a pic on Sunday when it happened and the boat is over an hour away from my home.
I appreciate everyone's responses....my apologies if my choice of words was misleading. See pic for location.

Attachments

• Damage.jpg
    Damage.jpg
    420.6 KB · Views: 42

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If you're positive, then that's good enough for me. If you're wrong, well, that's on you :)

In that case, let's go back to my response (and others) above regarding repairing ;)

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
this might sound weird, but sometimes I just cut some pieces of cardboard and use that to apply marinetex, epoxy, whatever. Can cut the edge you want and it provides a little flex to grip as you want. Get some plastic ones too and maybe practice a batch first somewhere else less visible on the boat?
doing it in the right temperature and humidity can matter. Cleaning the surface properly can matter. Marinetex is a peanut butter consistency and is sand-able but is epoxy based. I don’t personally worry all that much about slight tint differences

Fishtales

Reaction score
marine Tex works well but if deep you may need to use resin and some chopped glass or glass filler mixed in. Then gelcoat with a touch up kit (several coats).

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Just for reference. I did 2 patch jobs on my boat, 1 with marine tex and 1 with GW spectrum gelcoat. The picture of the stern and the up close picture of the white screw hole patch were done with marine tex, both below the water line. The picture of the on the bow was the done with GW spectrum GC, not the best job, but definitely much closer in color. Both are the same effort to use. If visible, I would go with gelcoat as long are you are structurally good.

Attachments

• stern saver.jpg
    stern saver.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_9044.JPG
    IMG_9044.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5713.JPG
    IMG_5713.JPG
    864.5 KB · Views: 25

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I had a very similar type gouge on the side when pulling away from the dock one day and others mentioned using the Spectrum gelcoat pre-colored to match your particular model. I purchased some and have to say folks can't even tell where the damage was before. It is easy to use.
Just sand down with 80 grit in the gouge area to smooth it out a bit, then sand the surrounding area with 120 grit where you will apply gelcoat. The more outer area sanded with 320. Then fill in with the Gelcoat and let cure. Wet sand per instructions and then start the polishing process.
I have a 1992 and the color match is dead on. I had several folks try to find the area and the could not.