Honda 250 taking a bath

Bschless

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225
We just bought a “new to us” 2005 225 tournament with a brand new Honda 250 on it. It runs great, but I noticed before getting on plane the bottom of the engine is in the boat wake, and is partially submerged. Not a lot, just a little.Is this okay?sure don’t want to bury the engine in salt water…

Thanks!

Beau

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Congrats on the new boat…take a picture of what you’re seeing, it’ll be easier to provide accurate feedback

seasick

Reaction score
We just bought a “new to us” 2005 225 tournament with a brand new Honda 250 on it. It runs great, but I noticed before getting on plane the bottom of the engine is in the boat wake, and is partially submerged. Not a lot, just a little.Is this okay?sure don’t want to bury the engine in salt water…

Thanks!

Beau
Were you or any other folks hanging over the stern to see where the motor sat when getting om plane?: Did you have a fullish tank of gas?
How many persons were with you?

My point is that there can be lots of variables. I can explain why this may be a normal situation or I can scare you with some serious potential issues. What would you prefer:)
Seriously though, we need more info especially about the loads, how the motor sits at rest and exactly what do you mean when you say the bottom of the engine is in the boat wake.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Do you have the motor trimmed ALL the way down/in during the hole shot? And, you SHOULD be using quite a bit of throttle.

Do you have trim tabs?

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
With a 250 on that boat, and the right amount of throttle, you should be carving a hole in the water right down to the bottom of the V, which keeps the engine dry. I would be more concerned about the water filling that void, and bathing the engine as you come off plane.
I know it’s not easy to do on the water, but try getting on plane and backing off quickly a couple of times, stop the boat, tilt the motor up halfway, pop the cowling, and see if you have water inside

seasick

Reaction score
Still not enough data.. For example, if the boat always acted that way and the motor is a 2005, then after 15 years, I don't thing there is an issue.

Bschless

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225
Were you or any other folks hanging over the stern to see where the motor sat when getting om plane?: Did you have a fullish tank of gas?
How many persons were with you?

My point is that there can be lots of variables. I can explain why this may be a normal situation or I can scare you with some serious potential issues. What would you prefer:)
Seriously though, we need more info especially about the loads, how the motor sits at rest and exactly what do you mean when you say the bottom of the engine is in the boat wake.
I’ll get some pix next time out.The engine is new (But the boat is a 2005). It does have trim tabs, about 1/2 tank of gas (40ish gallons on board). Two people in boat,one on the ow, one steering.

Thanks for your reply.

Beau

Bschless

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225
I’ll get some pix next time out.The engine is new (But the boat is a 2005). It does have trim tabs, about 1/2 tank of gas (40ish gallons on board). Two people in boat,one on the ow, one steering.

Thanks for your reply.

Beau
No..motor is 2022.. Boat is a 2005.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
If not underway and the bottom of your cowling for the engine itself is in the water, you have a problem! If you were talking about the midsection which is below the engine then you may be OK.

seasick

Reaction score
A quick look at specs said that the max hp for that 2005 hull was 225 hp. If so, your motor may be an issue as far as insurance goes.
The Honda 250 weighs about 600 to 615 pounds and may be heavier than the original motor. So the questions is whether the boat and motor sit low to start with. Check that the anti-ventilation plate on the lower unit is about level with the keel when at rest ( assuming no bracket)

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
are you talking about how it sits in the water at the dock or at displacement speeds, or while you are accelerating to plane?

if you are too light on the throttle when accelerating onto plane, you will have a very weird steep/tall wake while getting up. did you give good throttle, or very gently apply throttle?

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Basically, an outboard has four sections, an upper cowling above the gasket, a lower cowling below the gasket, a midsection, and a lower unit.
Which one is taking a bath?

Bschless

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225
L
A quick look at specs said that the max hp for that 2005 hull was 225 hp. If so, your motor may be an issue as far as insurance goes.
The Honda 250 weighs about 600 to 615 pounds and may be heavier than the original motor. So the questions is whether the boat and motor sit low to start with. Check that the anti-ventilation plate on the lower unit is about level with the keel when at rest ( assuming no bracket)
interesting…looking at current Boat trader 225s for sale of similar vintage, over half of them have 250s (Mostly Yamahas). The boat sits a little stern-heavy when at rest, but not “crazy” (maybe an inch or so lower…I’ll take pix next weekend).
i will attempt a faster start which might help as well. I’m just getting used to the boat (after my prior Eastern 20 with. 90hp on it), so have been a little reluctant to goose it.

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
L

interesting…looking at current Boat trader 225s for sale of similar vintage, over half of them have 250s (Mostly Yamahas). The boat sits a little stern-heavy when at rest, but not “crazy” (maybe an inch or so lower…I’ll take pix next weekend).
i will attempt a faster start which might help as well. I’m just getting used to the boat (after my prior Eastern 20 with. 90hp on it), so have been a little reluctant to goose it.
dont be afraid to give it good throttle when coming up. i usually give it enough that i have to pull back on the throttle after i get on plane to settle in at a good cruise rpm. remember, when you are getting up on plane, the boat is essentially trying to climb a hill out of the water. you want to give the engine enough throttle to have the horse power to easily get over that hill. you dont want it struggling at low rpm trying to get up. it may be a bit counter intuitive at first, but its better to give it a good bit to accelerate.

also, while climbing onto plane, keep the engine trimmed down. trim up when you are on plane

seasick

Reaction score
L

The max HP rating should be on the capacity decal at the helm

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Just pulled up the brochure for the 2005 model year and the HP rating on the Tournament 225 is 250 HP. Think some of your problem is being timid while trying to get up on plane. Tuck motor in, check surroundings, give it the beans, and pull back some on throttle and trim out after coming up out of the hole and settle in at cruise. The Hondas are heavier than the Yamaha, but unless it's mounted too low or not propped right, you should be ok once on plane.

Screenshot_20230601_061843_Drive.jpgScreenshot_20230601_061818_Drive.jpg

billyttpd

Reaction score
I have seen a lot of motors that look like they sit low coming out of the hole. If the engine cover seal is submerged I would be concerned but if you have "splash" around the bottom of the cowling where it meets the midsection you should ( subjective I know). tell your crew to use the seats provided to shift the weight forward a bit

seasick

Reaction score
Some how my brain made me look up a 205 and not the 225. Dennis, you are correct, 250HP max rating.