Horn replacement

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Handheld air horn never hurts to have on board in case the electric shits the bed

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have the Schmitt & Ongaro All-Stainless Mini Compact Twin Horn and every year after sitting, I have to pull the covers, adjust the tension screws to get them to work again. They point down, so feel the internals are not up to par with any long term reliability.
Also, I think they sound terrible. I would have expected a much better horn.

From a video I watched a couple of weeks ago ongaro has improved their twin electric trumpet horn internals to help prevent water intrusion and damage. But I have a hard time finding a good spot to mount these horns without interference with my Radar. Even so, I really don't like the electric horn sounds and the decibels rating are not that impressive.

Another brand to check is FIAMM. I know one guy that has these on his parker now for several years and no issues.

Jearl

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225
I have the new Ongaro horn for my Tournament 225 (2006). Started the replacement today but stalled, got too hot in the sun. But as far as I got; removed 2 mounting screws from on unit, tried to pull the wires our of the hole. Connections were wrapped in a lot of black sticky stuff wrapped with electrical tape? Was hard to pull this wrapping and tape out of the hole. Seemed to be stuck so didn't pull too hard. Has anyone had experience with this horn replacement? Thanks

wlewis

Reaction score
Keep pulling. There should be enough excess wire in there to pull the connection out to reconnect.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Mine connects inside the cabin. Hole is not large enough to pull the heat shrieked crimps through. Can you get to the underside to check?

wlewis

Reaction score
To get to the underside of my Freedom 225, I’d have to remove the headliner in the head compartmeant, which I‘d prefer not to Do. The heat shrinked connectors should come through on the outside, especially if you can get them through one at time.

Jearl

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225
From looking it seems I would have to access through the head compartment headliner. Don't want to mess with that. Will give the wires a bit more pressure to pull out through the hole. Was a bit tentative doing the original tugging.
Thx for the input.

Paul_A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I put the handheld on the shelf next to the cupholder. Loud and reliable.

Reactions: PointedRose

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I’m a believer in regular use. Not always easy without annoying folks but I try to sound my horns at least once a trip. Also good to know they work!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Even so, I really don't like the electric horn sounds and the decibels rating are not that impressive.
Robert, just a little side note... I understand why you are saying what you are - they just don't "sound right" to us at the helm. However, the tone of these electric horns has actually been specifically designed to carry further on the water so that other boaters can hear it better than the typical horn of this size. I've actually experienced this in person and it is 100% true.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I was wondering about that. Hard to tell since I am always on the boat and not somewhere away from it on the water.

I still wish I had the dual trumpet air horn that sounds like a freighter! Even though I really never have to use the horn in my area so far. But, the boat traffic is increasing! :rolleyes:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I was wondering about that. Hard to tell since I am always on the boat and not somewhere away from it on the water.

I still wish I had the dual trumpet air horn that sounds like a freighter! Even though I really never have to use the horn in my area so far. But, the boat traffic is increasing! :rolleyes:
I'd like to have a freighter horn in my truck... on a separate button... for those SPECIAL times... Like the person still sitting at the traffic light after it turns green because they're staring at their phone!

seasick

Reaction score
This post brings up a question. Other than navigating in the ICW maybe or narrow channels, do you folks really use your horn?
I may use mine when coming into the marina if I see a friend on the docks and want to get their attention but other than the first several months of my boating career, many years ago, I stopped using it.
When I did one or two blasts when overtaking on starboard or port, more often than not, instead of a confirmation or a wave from the overtaken vessel, I would get the middle finger salute.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
This post brings up a question. Other than navigating in the ICW maybe or narrow channels, do you folks really use your horn?
I may use mine when coming into the marina if I see a friend on the docks and want to get their attention but other than the first several months of my boating career, many years ago, I stopped using it.
When I did one or two blasts when overtaking on starboard or port, more often than not, instead of a confirmation or a wave from the overtaken vessel, I would get the middle finger salute.
Yeah, for me it’s a ‘when I really need it I want it’ or if CG boarded. I can’t actually recall a situation where i really needed it.

most use I see is when the little nieces and nephews figure out the horn switch until it gets too annoying for everyone else.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
What is the reason? I am not familiar with that RR bridge.
Narrow. Somewhat blind approach. Crazy current. Lots of traffic especially when bridge has been down, idiots not letting the boats being pushed by the current thru first, idiots not GOING when they need to GO!, idiots passing everyone waiting for the bridge to open like they think we're all just spending the day in reverse not waiting for the bridge....I could go on...

Screen Shot 2021-08-13 at 7.04.32 PM.png

Reactions: PointedRose