Hose stretcher needed,,,,,,,

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
New auxiliary tank is in but,,,,,, the fill is 1/4" further away than original and I guess the hose has drawn up since I took it off the old tank. Need a good 2 1/2" more hose to make a secure double clamp connection. Might as well get enough new hose to do both tanks since I have to remove the main tank hose from the fill neck in order to access the auxiliary fill neck.
20190404_164803.jpg20190404_164813.jpg

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You may be on to something!!!

I'm just finishing up pulling both tanks, replacing one and returning other after pressure testing, etc. Also pulled and replaced all fuel and vent lines with new, and glad I did because they were really dry and didn't look so good. I personally would never splice a fuel line, especially under a deck, but that's just me. Did you try giving a firm tug on that fill line to see if perhaps there is some slack under the deck?

Fishtales

Reaction score
agree with the replacement. don't want to mess with fuel... the hose issue happens to guys over 70 too....

Reactions: RussGW270

wrxhoon

Reaction score
If it is only 1/4" further I'm surprised it won't reach . I would replace the hose if I was you .

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If it is only 1/4" further I'm surprised it won't reach . I would replace the hose if I was you .

My thoughts also. I've tried pulling more hose out but there is none to be had, it has drawn up I guess.

I've come this far on my rework of my '04, why quit now. I'm pulling both hoses and will order new. These are 15 year old hoses, they appear to be good, but I guess time for fresh ones.

Reactions: VeroWing

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If it's not too much trouble to pull them, I'd probably do the same thing. If they were a real bear to do, and in good shape, I'd probably lean towards waiting to replace them and use the barb. Yes, it's another connection point, but a double clamped, bronze hose barb is a pretty darned reliable connection. And it's in an easily accessible place - if it was instead in a near impossible place to get to, then definitely no.

Reactions: family affair

StoryTime

Reaction score
The problem so far is finding a 1 1/2" double barb here local.
I've got a silly question as I have a '01 Seafarer......how did you know when you needed to replace your tanks? Mine could possibly be a mess as I've had water in fuel problems before but haven't seen any issues so far.....just checking to see what to look for when it's time. Thanks!

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've got a silly question as I have a '01 Seafarer......how did you know when you needed to replace your tanks? Mine could possibly be a mess as I've had water in fuel problems before but haven't seen any issues so far.....just checking to see what to look for when it's time. Thanks!

Not a silly question.

I found out I needed a new tank last year in Florida. I had filled both tanks up when I got down there since the boat was going to live on the lift out back for two weeks. Anyway, I was smelling fuel but couldn't isolate the source, I popped the inspection plates on the back tank but didn't see anything, never thought to look at the front tank since I had been using the front tank since I bought the boat, never had the smell so just figured the back tank was bad. Come to find out the warm weather of Florida caused the fuel to swell and was leaking from sending unit flange and pickup on auxiliary tank. Flange was corroded beyond repair. Had been using and filling the tank in cooler weather so I never knew it was bad. First time to fill back tank.

Tank life is dependent on how your boat was maintained and was the tank area flushed regularly with fresh water, not through the inspection plates, but actually pull the floor and give the tanks a good flush, especially if it is a saltwater boat.

Your water in fuel could be a few things. Leaking fuel fill O-ring, leaking seal around flange and leaking O-ring on inspection plates allowing water to leak onto tank when washing the boat or when raining, low fuel level in aluminium tank and change of temp creating condensation. Need to keep your fuel treated with marine Sta-bil, especially if you're using pump gas with ethanol, ethanol attracts water.

20181105_165525.jpg20181105_165536.jpg

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I would contact the manufacturer of that part and make 100% sure it is fuel compatible.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The more I consider this, the more I think I'll just put new hoses in. Just removes the element of "what if". Even though it's going to be a little difficult, I think it's my best solution.