Hose stretcher needed,,,,,,,

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
The more I consider this, the more I think I'll just put new hoses in. Just removes the element of "what if". Even though it's going to be a little difficult, I think it's my best solution.
I'm not trying to spook you with my comment. Personally, I would splice it with a known safe material, double clamp it, and never give it a second thought.
What I would tell you to change with 100% certainty is the 2x shown at the bottom of your photo. If that is treated, the chemical reaction will eat a hole through your tank in a couple years! Ask me how I know.

Last edited:

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm not trying to spook you with my comment. Personally, I would splice it with a known safe material, double clamp it, and never give it a second thought.
What I would tell you to change with 100% certainty is the 2x shown at the bottom of your photo. If that is treated, the chemical reaction will eat a hole through your tank in a couple years! Ask me how I know.

That is the original 15 year old 2x backed with a rubber strip. Just looked at old tank, it was still good after all this time. Thank you though.
20190405_131142.jpg

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I couldn't tell that you had a rubber strip there. If that is the case, you won't have any worries.

Reactions: Ky Grady

Fishtales

Reaction score
That looks great. The undersides of your decks looks solid too, Should last a good long time. Nice work.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
The rear tank doesn't look It can fit to come out, I wonder if they fit it in before liner goes in.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The rear tank doesn't look It can fit to come out, I wonder if they fit it in before liner goes in.

It won't. I had to take a belt sander to the front one to get it out. The lip won't let it come out.

Bumpye

Reaction score
Just my 2 cents but why wouldn't you replace the hoses anyway if you went through the money and effort to replace the tank. Did you say the hoses are 15 years old? No brainer in my opinion. I posted earlier I'm planning on inspecting the main tank myself, just afraid of what I might find.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Ok,,,old hoses coming out. New going in. My best fix. Both tanks. To take a shortcut at this stage of my rehab on my boat is pointless, fix it right and move on.

I have a place local that has the redline MPI fuel fill hose. Luckily I have pretty decent access to the hoses from the inspection plate on front of the step/fishbox and having both floor panels out.

20190407_114952.jpg20190407_115021.jpg20190407_114936.jpg

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've had good luck duct taping end of new hose to end of old one, and pulling in new line while pulling out old.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've had good luck duct taping end of new hose to end of old one, and pulling in new line while pulling out old.

Thanks!!! Was thinking a small rope tied on but the duct tape idea is better, smooth pull without the rope knot binding.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Just to be safe, tie them together then cover with tape. Punch a couple holes in the end of the old and the end of the new one. You can also use zip ties if you leave the two ends of the hose a bit apart so you put the head of the zip tie on the inside of the hose. Then cover the gap well with tape. Multiple ways to do it, I suppose .

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Just to be safe, tie them together then cover with tape. Punch a couple holes in the end of the old and the end of the new one. You can also use zip ties if you leave the two ends of the hose a bit apart so you put the head of the zip tie on the inside of the hose. Then cover the gap well with tape. Multiple ways to do it, I suppose .

More good ideas. Can always use that .99 plastic splice that I bought too.

Willy-C

Reaction score
New hose would be the obvious best fix, but for future reference steel plated male nipples can be purchased at your local hydraulic hose shop, they use them on hyd return and suction hoses.