Hose stretcher needed,,,,,,,

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
New hose would be the obvious best fix, but for future reference steel plated male nipples can be purchased at your local hydraulic hose shop, they use them on hyd return and suction hoses.

Thanks

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Finally got back to my fuel tank project. Removed the fuel fill and vent hoses today. I'll pick up new hoses along with new fuel lines tomorrow.
20190414_141011.jpg

Reactions: leeccoll

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I replaced my hoses and it wasn't too awful of a job. Just connect the old to the new hose with a barb fitting or pvc pipe and put some screws in then pull it through.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I replaced my hoses and it wasn't too awful of a job. Just connect the old to the new hose with a barb fitting or pvc pipe and put some screws in then pull it through.

Ooops...didn't see the pic until after I posted. Seems you already pulled the hoses. That might be fun trying to fish them to the holes to pull them through now. But anyhow, new hoses is the right way to go. Mine too were very old, but looked very good. I think they would have been fine, but didn't want to tempt fate under the deck.

Reactions: Ky Grady

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Ooops...didn't see the pic until after I posted. Seems you already pulled the hoses. That might be fun trying to fish them to the holes to pull them through now. But anyhow, new hoses is the right way to go. Mine too were very old, but looked very good. I think they would have been fine, but didn't want to tempt fate under the deck.

I checked under the deck from all the access ports and can reach everything. Made sure before I pulled them out. Hoses run through conduit under the deck to the tanks, straight shot. The bend is going up to the fills, which I can see and get to very easily.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Good deal! Some of these models, including mine, if you pull the hose first, likely will never find a way to get them through again without having to put in some deck acces plates!

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Question(s): Did you pull the new hoses up through the gunwale or down to the tank coffin below deck? I understand about splicing the old and new lines together before pulling and praying.
And, your aux tank fill line is the same location up front as mine. Can you give me a guess on how long those old fill and vent lines are so I can buy them in advance. It would be a big help.
Great job and thanks for the documentation fyi!!

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Question(s): Did you pull the new hoses up through the gunwale or down to the tank coffin below deck? I understand about splicing the old and new lines together before pulling and praying.
And, your aux tank fill line is the same location up front as mine. Can you give me a guess on how long those old fill and vent lines are so I can buy them in advance. It would be a big help.
Great job and thanks for the documentation fyi!!

I installed mine from tank area up to fills. I had good access to them. I bought 17' and cut in half, installed through the runs, attached to fills and cut to length at the tank. Had some waste but better than to short. Double clamp all fuel lines.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Awesome, thank you for letting me know, really helps!

Reactions: Ky Grady

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hey Ky,
I'm curious, did you remove the gas fill at the gunwale when you installed your new lines?
Looks like there are 3 nuts to take off, but not sure if it's necessary to remove it to replace the old lines.
Thanks in advance!
Lee

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hey Ky,
I'm curious, did you remove the gas fill at the gunwale when you installed your new lines?
Looks like there are 3 nuts to take off, but not sure if it's necessary to remove it to replace the old lines.
Thanks in advance!
Lee

I did. Mine had 4 machine screws with nuts and washers on each of them that I removed. I have 2 fills, I couldn't reach the auxiliary from the footwell at the helm to get the clamps off, arm's not long enough, so ended up removing both from cockpit side. Put all new hardware on when I reinstalled them. It was easier to install them being able to move the fills around some.

Installed auxiliary hoses and fill first, then the main hoses and fill.

Reactions: leeccoll

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks so much! About to dive in as soon as my new fuel tank arrives....