How to Clean Hydraulic Steering Fluid from Fiberglass

hinmo

Reaction score
Of course while taking out the steering RAM I am replacing, I spilled fluid all over the engine well. Any advice for cleaning? My local mechanic says a strong commercial cleaner...simple green type....will do the job, but then again, his boat is a mess!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
What have you tried? Did Simple Green not work? There's no special remedy here - and you really can't hurt gelcoat as long as you don't use an abrasive. SG, Dawn, acetone... whatever works.

Last edited:

hinmo

Reaction score
haven't tried anything yet, just didnt want to make more of a mess....if thats possible!

O

oliver305

I think Simple Green is good, or you can use cleaner for fiberglass such as Star Brite Ez-On Ez-Off, MaryKate MK2032 On Off,...

Last edited by a moderator:

seasick

Reaction score
haven't tried anything yet, just didnt want to make more of a mess....if thats possible!
The longer you wait the harder it will be to remove the stain/ Try the mildest solution first and if that doesn't work, move on to something stronger. I would try WD40 first. Rub it around after sitting a bit. Rinse with soap and water and dry and if there are still stains, try Barkeepers Friend , the one that says it's OK for non stick pans.
If that doesn't work, you can try the On-Off options for hull cleaning. Whatever you do, after removing the stain, wax the area.