Hull Logo

Gizmolvr1974

Reaction score
Has anyone purchased replacement hull logos lately? I know Grady is not making the blue/gold one anymore and is now blue/chrome. Has anyone purchased an aftermarket version of either? There used to be a vendor on eBay that had decent ones but they are not there anymore. I saw blue/chrome ones on ETSY for a little over $100 but not sure of the quality. Trying to avoid spending 4-500$ at the dealer. Thanks!

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I recently purchased the logo and hull stripe from a Grady dealer, and it was 410.00 shipped.

Last edited:

fishie1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I just bought the blue gold version on Etsy. I have not installed yet but quality appears pretty good. Font is slightly different but most won't notice.

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I bought a set off Etsy. Looked good quality but the blue was more Royal than Navy. So didn’t end up using them. Found a very good domed reproduction here in Australia. Discontinueddecals.com.au. About US$190. 2B93130E-9340-42E0-987C-069E5231B41F.jpeg

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I bought the ones off eBay before he stopped selling them. Quality was almost perfect, but sizing was about 1/8" off. Had to buff the ghosting out.

50033427111_8a1cf42261_h.jpg

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I changed over to the new version, replaced rub rail with black, did the canvas as creme, replaced the logo and striping to Grady current, which luckily for me was all in stock last year. All of these components were worn out and then some with my boat so it was either tracking down old versions on ebay or just going with the refresh. The wife and I love the refreshed look.

Reactions: Viking88rd

Gizmolvr1974

Reaction score
I think im going to go with the new version logo. Whats different between the old and new striping?

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
What did you all use to remove your old stripes? From what I can tell all the eraser wheels can do damage. I tried one for a small section and I had some discoloration and had to wet sand and buff. The discoloration was only a couple small spots where the wheel got a little hot.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If you have a variable speed drill, run the wheel as fast as it will go and keep it moving along the stripe, don't concentrate on one spot, as that's what creates heat and will burn the old stripes into the gelcoat. I did it when I first started off till I figured it out.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
If you have a variable speed drill, run the wheel as fast as it will go and keep it moving along the stripe, don't concentrate on one spot, as that's what creates heat and will burn the old stripes into the gelcoat. I did it when I first started off till I figured it out.
Did you have to compound afterwards?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Did you have to compound afterwards?

For the ghosting??? Only if you're not putting stripes back on. Even then, all ghosting won't be eliminated. For residual adhesive, no, I used 3M Adhesive Remover, then cleaned with acetone followed by alcohol to make sure my surface was clean to apply the new stripes to.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
The wheel I used left blemishes that needed to be compounded. Yours did not?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
No. Mine was pretty clean for the most part. Used the 3M eraser wheel. Maybe cheaper version are not same quality and are giving you problems.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Could be. I went for the Amazon one, because some claimed to have the same issue with the 3M. If I end up doing the whole boat, I'll spend for the 3M, but don't plan to any time soon.

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I ditched the wheel, it was leaving marks, and even the 3M one which i was able to borrow. I heated the striping up with a heat gun then peeled it off, actually wasn't too bad. Brake cleaner worked well for the glue, recommended to me by a guy at my old marina. The old crusty glue was harder to deal with than the striping, with the brake cleaner it almost turned in to little rubber balls, like tri-tex glue if you remember that stuff. I used a plastic blade to scrape it off.

This whole endeavor of removing old striping, logos, compounding, polishing, waxing, and reinstalling took 5 or 6 evenings last spring. I was trying to pay someone but he flaked, and I personally think I did a better job anyway. Seldom will another treat your boat as good as you do.

Last edited:
Reactions: family affair

Braintree

Reaction score
I just bought new hull decals and stripes at my local dealer in Massachusetts. I went with the new chrome Grady emblem and they were $120 each. Mine were the smaller ones 38". And the stripe was not the matching one for my 2004 but at least its new and was $1.50 LF