Hull Taking on Water - 232 Gulfstream 2005

Throttle1971

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I put my boat in the water for the summer. While sitting in the water with no rain or washing the bilge pump seems to be going off more than I recall. What are the possible leak point other than the drain plug? When I installed the drain plug I did put tape on the threads, not sure if that is required or not. I have raw water wash down and fish box that you can fill up with water. Another curious question, if you put the boat in the water and bilge area is completely dry is the boat designed to take on some water in the aft are where the bilge is located?

Attachments

• Bilge AFT.jpg
    Bilge AFT.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 51

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
No, your boat should not collect water in the bilge, absent rain and washing. Sometimes water can collect in places in the hull, when the boat is on the trailer, and what was a dry bilge on the trailer may become wet when the angle changes in the water. But, one cycle of the bilge pump should take care of that. How much water comes out when the pump runs? How often do they run? Do you have an electronic bilge pump that automatically cycles to 'look' for water?
Look all the way around and make sure that all thru hulls and scuppers are above the water line. Do you have the white plastic thru hulls, or metal? How many of those connections can you see inside the hull. The white ones are prone to crack, or outright snap off, so you may have what looks like a thru hull on the outside, with no hose connected on the inside. I wouldn't be surprised on a 15 year old boat.

Last edited:

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My 2004 228 had chrome over bronze thru hulls, so his should be metal. I'd pop all the inspection plates around the boat and check the condition of the hoses. My scupper hoses were shot from dry rot, might start there in your search.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Your boat is new to me, BUT as glacierbaze said, that bilge should be dry-ish.

As Ky said, check all thru-hull and hoses for leaks.

Also, I would pull all deck inspection plates to make sure they are not causing leaks.

Not too familiar with your hull, but open up every possible water intrusion point and get a flashlight on it or better yet, get our hand on it to verify a drip.

That is not a small amount of water, but I think you will find out the source as you keep narrowing it down.

seasick

Reaction score
Check the side of the hull where the bilge pump through hull is located when you hear the pump run and see if water is being pumped out. If the bilge pump is being triggered by water and it is cycling, you will see water out the side.

If you don't see water coming out when the you hear the pump, that means two possibilities: The pump is triggering erroneously, perhaps due to a wiring issue or defective float switch or secondly, you are hearing a different pump running.

Since that bilge should fairly dry, if indeed the pump is cycling and pumping water out, you need to find the source quickly before you have a major problem.

Gman77089

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Well, I have a gulfstream and I had the same issue but mines a 1986. I checked all thru hulls, wash down pickup and no luck. I had to fix the rubrail so after I removed it I saw there was no caulking in the gaps between the top and bottom parts of the boat. So I filled it in with 4200 to make sure it holds and now no water and yes i was getting lots of water in the boat. My bilge was going off every 5 to 10 min. Check the gap between the top and bottom pieces. Good luck with your search and hopefully it helps

Three

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
I have had a bad stern tube. easy way to check that is put a plug in the other end !

Fishtales

Reaction score
I had a pressurized water leak under the galley (loose fitting). You'd hear the pump cycling though.
The rub rail sounds like the first action provided the thru hulls and hoses are good. The anchor rode does drain into the bilge so if you were using this a lot.
You didn't talk much about use. Would it collect water just moored or docked?

Fishtales

Reaction score
Looking at the OP, it appears it is happening just sitting in the water. Starting to think it could be a thru hull, connection or hose. Are all your thru hulls closed? Have you inspected every one to ensure no leaks and proper operation? Check the scupper hoses. As stated above, these have the tendency to dry rot over time. I can't think of much more. I believe the cabin drains into the bilge as do the aft cup holders but if not washing or not much rain not sure how these can be contributing. I've heard of hard top rails (where they tie to the deck and other glass areas) leaking but that requires washing or rain.