Hydraulic hose length for Adventure 208 installation

JoeJr

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I am planning on upgrading my (new to me) 2000 Adventure 208 to hydraulic steering and a Lowrance hydraulic Autopilot system when I get the boat out of storage in May. I would like to order all the parts now so they are on hand but I have no access to the boat to determine the correct length of the hydraulic hoses. The SeaStar system (pn HK63XX) can be purchased with 16, 22, or 24 foot hoses as part of the purchase. Has anyone performed such an upgrade and if so, can you recall the length of the hydraulic lines that you used for the project? Any insight on this is most appreciated.
Thanks
Joe

seasick

Reaction score
I am planning on upgrading my (new to me) 2000 Adventure 208 to hydraulic steering and a Lowrance hydraulic Autopilot system when I get the boat out of storage in May. I would like to order all the parts now so they are on hand but I have no access to the boat to determine the correct length of the hydraulic hoses. The SeaStar system (pn HK63XX) can be purchased with 16, 22, or 24 foot hoses as part of the purchase. Has anyone performed such an upgrade and if so, can you recall the length of the hydraulic lines that you used for the project? Any insight on this is most appreciated.
Thanks
Joe
Sometime during production of the 2001 208 model ( actually built in 2000) , a change was made to the rigging tube location. If I remember correctly the rigging tube was moved closer to the starboard hull. That made the needed lengths for control cables to increase. I suspect that the length of your current control cables should be close to the hydraulic hose length. That doesn't really help since you can't get to the boat right now. I would call Grady technical support and ask. They should have the length in their build records.
BTW, The reason I know about the rigging tube change is the fact that when I needed new cables, I called Grady and they gave me the lengths. When I went to install the cables, they were too short and in a follow up call, I learned about the rigging tube change.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I’d contact GW cust service to see if they can assist.

Duke1903

Reaction score
I did my 2000 208 last season and went with the 20’ pro hoses. I was left with a soft loop and there is plenty of slack for routing as you wish

seasick

Reaction score
I did my 2000 208 last season and went with the 20’ pro hoses. I was left with a soft loop and there is plenty of slack for routing as you wish
If I may ask, was your rigging tube closer to the tank area or closer to the outside hull?

Duke1903

Reaction score
Its closer to the outside of the hull, when i called Grady they recommended the 20’. The steering cable i had was a 19’

JoeJr

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Thanks for
Thanks for the information. I assume you went with Sea Star's product? Are you happy with hydraulic upgrade?

Duke1903

Reaction score
No problem at all, I did a full repower/ refit last season and am very happy with it. I used the Seastar classic tilt package and swapped out hoses for the pro ones

JoeJr

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
No problem at all, I did a full repower/ refit last season and am very happy with it. I used the Seastar classic tilt package and swapped out hoses for the pro ones
Thanks. I never even considered an upgrade to tilt steering as part of the hydraulic upgrade. My purpose of converting is mostly to enable me to also install an hydraulic Autopilot system with a remote control for Lake Erie trolling.

J-cubed

Reaction score
I performed the same upgrade on my 97/208 last spring, I used 20' hoses. I love the auto pilot for trolling for walleyes. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
regarding Seastar steering/ Hoses/ fittings/Autopilot in general here are some things I learned.
https://www.greatgrady.com/threads/seastar-hydraulic-steering.25895/

Field replaceable fittings for SeaStar 5/16ID hose

It may be cheaper to buy 1000 psi seastar brand hoses separately from the helm or buy longer than you think you need.
For autopilot, you will need 3 short hoses and tee fittings. It can be cheaper to cut a long hose and put new fittings on the cut ends. Make four from two...

Consider how you get thru the bulkhead to the motors. Depending on the thru bulkhead fitting you choose, you may have to cut off one end fitting to pass it thru.

Make sure you have the proper fittings for the helm. 1/4 NPT, 3/8 Compression, or ORB?

Be careful of "autopilot fitting kits" made for the wrong setup.

Think it thru...

Good Luck.

JoeJr

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I performed the same upgrade on my 97/208 last spring, I used 20' hoses. I love the auto pilot for trolling for walleyes. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks much. Initial question for you - where did you mount the AP motor and computer and do you recall how long of hydraulic hoses you needed to connect the AP motor to the helm pump?

JoeJr

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
regarding Seastar steering/ Hoses/ fittings/Autopilot in general here are some things I learned.
https://www.greatgrady.com/threads/seastar-hydraulic-steering.25895/

Field replaceable fittings for SeaStar 5/16ID hose

It may be cheaper to buy 1000 psi seastar brand hoses separately from the helm or buy longer than you think you need.
For autopilot, you will need 3 short hoses and tee fittings. It can be cheaper to cut a long hose and put new fittings on the cut ends. Make four from two...

Consider how you get thru the bulkhead to the motors. Depending on the thru bulkhead fitting you choose, you may have to cut off one end fitting to pass it thru.

Make sure you have the proper fittings for the helm. 1/4 NPT, 3/8 Compression, or ORB?

Be careful of "autopilot fitting kits" made for the wrong setup.

Think it thru...

Good Luck.
Thanks for the information and links. The consensus is that 20' hoses are required for the hydraulic steering install but I did not even think to ask about the AP motor hoses so great catch on that.

J-cubed

Reaction score
Thanks much. Initial question for you - where did you mount the AP motor and computer and do you recall how long of hydraulic hoses you needed to connect the AP motor to the helm pump?
I mounted the AP motor high on the short perpendicular wall too the right of the wheel. I mounted the computer in side the cabin below the light. If I'm not mistaken, I believe that the AP hoses came with the Lowrance unit. I don't remember buying extra hoses.adventure-208-grady-white-20-walkaround-cabin-steering-wheel.jpg

JoeJr

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I mounted the AP motor high on the short perpendicular wall too the right of the wheel. I mounted the computer in side the cabin below the light. If I'm not mistaken, I believe that the AP hoses came with the Lowrance unit. I don't remember buying extra hoses.View attachment 25385
Thanks again. Boat looks to be in great shape. I will look to install in same spot. I also have to figure out where to install controls for the 9.9 Yamaha High Thrust kicker moto that I bought over the winter. My plan is to use an EZ Steer to tie both motors together for trolling.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
joe, sell the single Yamaha control and get the Twin 704 control box. Running both motors from the same place at the helm.

J-cubed

Reaction score
Thanks again. Boat looks to be in great shape. I will look to install in same spot. I also have to figure out where to install controls for the 9.9 Yamaha High Thrust kicker moto that I bought over the winter. My plan is to use an EZ Steer to tie both motors together for trolling.
Ha,Ha that is a picture off of the new 208 brochure. I also use an EZ Steer and I have the shifter and throttle control mounted to the rail next to the helm.

JoeJr

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Ha,Ha that is a picture off of the new 208 brochure. I also use an EZ Steer and I have the shifter and throttle control mounted to the rail next to the helm.
1649610970166.png

That explains why the boat looked like new in the photo - it was. I appreciate the info on kicker mount but not quite sure where you are referring to as far as rail mount.. Did you mount anywhere shown in this photo?