Hydraulic hose length for Adventure 208 installation

JoeJr

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
joe, sell the single Yamaha control and get the Twin 704 control box. Running both motors from the same place at the helm.
Thanks. That is an option that I have been considering. Do you know if the installing the twin controls is a do it yourself install or is this something I would need a real boat mechanic to do?

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Definitely a do it yourself, Reattach existing cables to the main and then push new cables through to the stern for the the kicker. Cut a bigger hole for the 2nd set of cables. Make sure your kicker cables are long enough so there is no pinching at the kicker placement. Also remote ignition switch can be mounted below and just to port of the steering wheel. Take your time and enjoy the process. I do all my modifications myself and now have an intimate knowledge of the workings of my 2006 208. if you pm me with your email address I could send you a couple of photos.

Reactions: Facially Endowed

seasick

Reaction score
Trapper, I got a chuckle out of your reply. My first though was to say that if he had to ask if it was a DIY job, he probably shouldn't attempt it:)
I remember the first time I opened a dual 704 and split/ opened the cases and several bushings fell onto the deck. No prob I though and then I removed the control cables. When I reinstalled the new cables, all of a sudden there were a zillion options for what went where. It was quite painful. If he has an installation/rigging manual for the 704, the job probably would be easier.
In any case, the moral of my story is to take a lot of photos as you disassemble .

JoeJr

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Definitely a do it yourself, Reattach existing cables to the main and then push new cables through to the stern for the the kicker. Cut a bigger hole for the 2nd set of cables. Make sure your kicker cables are long enough so there is no pinching at the kicker placement. Also remote ignition switch can be mounted below and just to port of the steering wheel. Take your time and enjoy the process. I do all my modifications myself and now have an intimate knowledge of the workings of my 2006 208. if you pm me with your email address I could send you a couple of photos.
Many Thanks. Did you find any downsides to this setup? I ask because the dealer who sold me the 9.9 said that he did not recommend dual controls because I would find it to be cumbersome controlling the main motor with the kicker in neutral.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Not clear on what the issue is your dealer is referring to. The two control arms? do not touch each other with plenty of space between them to clearly operate either with no interference. I had never thought of it being cumbersome or otherwise, as they are distinctly two different controls. Just turning 12 years of operation with no issues.
Maybe seasick I was aa little to simplistic with my answer to Joes question, but it is certainly is doable, as with most mods, just think it through and take your time. The single control once removed will give you a good idea on the bits and pieces in the dual control before you reassemble.

JoeJr

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Thanks much for the reply. Assuming my 200HP is on the left and kicker on the right, he was suggesting that I would have a tendency to push/pull both controls vs just the left one when operating the main motor. Your explanation that you don't find this awkward is quite helpful. Fortunately, he also said that he would be happy to credit the cost of the single control (703) that I bought with the 9.9 towards the cost of the dual 704 controls. Once I figure out cable length, I will be ready to tear into this. I would also appreciate any photos you have that might be helpful and will send you my info. My updated punch-list for the entire project is:
1. Lowrence Carbon 9 - to control AP (already purchased)
2. Yamaha Binnacle 704 dual controls
3. SeaStar Outboard Hydraulic Upgrade Kit
4. Seastar 20" hoses
5. Lowrance Hydraulic Autopilot Kit
6. Panther Bracket for kicker motor (10" travel)

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
PM sent.