I Need a Valve Job

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Not my engine, my heart. I'm going to Mayo Clinic on Wednesday for an aortic valve replacement. They won't know whether it will be open heart or via catheter until they finish 5 days of workup that starts on Thursday. The procedure is scheduled for Sept. 3. We will have to stay in MN the whole time since they don't want us going back to Florida because of Covid. If everything turns out OK, we should be going home on Sept 10.

I really need to get this done so that I can get back to my boat. The last time I got out was April 15. Was using it less and less over the past 2 years as the lethargy symptoms gradually got worse. The condition progressed from moderate to severe in April and I ended up in the hospital for a short stay in May. Now I can't walk 50 ft without getting out of breath.

I'm posting about this here because a lot of you guys are, you know, old. ;) The point is that when you get old, you start feeling old for different reasons. Aortic stenosis happens in 10-15% of people over 65. It often doesn't get diagnosed because people don't go to the doctor or don't like telling a doctor that they are feeling tired. Don't just blame it on age.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Good luck Doc!!! Thanks for posting. Sometimes we need an overhaul to keep on going. I prefer to think of age as just a number, but our bodies tell us different some days.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Good luck Doc!! You’ll be in great hands. My daughter works at Mayo in Jacksonville and I’m always amazed at their skill at solving problems like yours. You will be back on the water in no time and feeling great! Best wishes and fair winds and following seas from your neighbor up here in Inglis!

seasick

Reaction score
Good luck with the procedure. Hopefully the less invasive procedure works out Did you choose the artificial or the ovine valve? I ask because it may tell me what bait choices you make when fishing:)

Reactions: wspitler

Alweidner

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Not my engine, my heart. I'm going to Mayo Clinic on Wednesday for an aortic valve replacement. They won't know whether it will be open heart or via catheter until they finish 5 days of workup that starts on Thursday. The procedure is scheduled for Sept. 3. We will have to stay in MN the whole time since they don't want us going back to Florida because of Covid. If everything turns out OK, we should be going home on Sept 10.

I really need to get this done so that I can get back to my boat. The last time I got out was April 15. Was using it less and less over the past 2 years as the lethargy symptoms gradually got worse. The condition progressed from moderate to severe in April and I ended up in the hospital for a short stay in May. Now I can't walk 50 ft without getting out of breath.

I'm posting about this here because a lot of you guys are, you know, old. ;) The point is that when you get old, you start feeling old for different reasons. Aortic stenosis happens in 10-15% of people over 65. It often doesn't get diagnosed because people don't go to the doctor or don't like telling a doctor that they are feeling tired. Don't just blame it on age.
Good luck Doc, you'll get through this. About six years ago I had my aortic valve replaced with a bovine valve. I had a bicuspid, meaning, instead of three leaflets I had two. They did open heart at the Deborah in Browns Mills New Jersey. It was a little rough for a while but you get through it. Prayers are with you. Feel free to reach out if I can answer any questions

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Wishing you the best Doc!!

It will be a great relief to have it done with and be able to do what you want to do again-Fish!!

Reactions: Alweidner

Crazyfish1

Reaction score
Model
Offshore

Crazyfish1

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
FRIEND I will pray for your FAMILY and of course you and there is a lot of us out here praying and pulling for you THINK Positive we got your back so go get rebuilt get back on that boat . Listen I wasn’t on my boat 10 - 15 years I’m back But ( both )my Legs Am feet are gone below my knees I now have 2 Prosthetic legs I can walk taking my son on boat tomorrow about 60 miles or so . Hang in there you can do it going out of Waretown NJ. Oyster creek you can do it . I know you didn’t want to hear all that SORRY. GOD BLESS YOU AN ALL .

Byram

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
Have a speedy recovery, be well

mjm1957

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Good luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery and feeling like a new man when you heal up.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Wishing you a quick and strong recovery, your contributions to GGrady are so valuable we need you to hurry back.

Reactions: Alweidner

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Do what "The Other Doc" says, follow orders and you'll be back at it soon. You might want to schedule trips offshore when the seas drop below 2 ft so you won't get slammed around post-procedure.

They have all kinds of replacement parts on the shelves in the hospital supply rooms nowadays. They'll fix you up almost good as new.

J

jason808

May the wind be at your back! You will be back in the water before you know it.

Time to read some good fishing stories. One of my favorites is “The Greatest Fishing Stories Ever Told” or books on big game lure making from Jim Rizzuto.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks for the kind thoughts, guys! You all are a good group of people.

Good luck with the procedure. Hopefully the less invasive procedure works out Did you choose the artificial or the ovine valve? I ask because it may tell me what bait choices you make when fishing:)

I'm going with the tissue valve. Either pig or cow depending on the size of the valve I'll need. They only last maybe 10 years. That should be good enough for me. They can do an in-valve replacement if necessary after that. It's a trickier procedure, but maybe it will get better as it is done more frequently.

The problem with the mechanical valve (other than you can often hear them click) is that I would need to be on blood thinners for the rest of my life. They are typically used in younger people since they last a lot longer than tissue valves. I've fished with people on blood thinners and they really need to be careful. I'm too old to be careful.