I need new Batteries for my 228

seasick

Reaction score
I am right in the middle of a complete redo of my 96 Islander, it had a single 300 hp and I upped it to twin 175s, So I needed to up the battery power, after checking out a variety of options I decided I wanted AGM batteries, of course they are the most expensive, I was already shoveling cash at this , so I figured what the hay, I did manage to save some, quite a lot, by buying at a local O’Reillys auto parts 3 Marine/ RV group 34 AGM ‘s for $519
at most any other it would be $900- $1200
Granted they may not last 10 years , but 3-5 years is fine with me
I am not sure it is always necessary to up the power as you say when switching from a single to twins. I would assume ( I may be wrong) that the 300 draws more starting current than the 175. If that is so, as long as you start one motor at a time, the original battery sizing should be sufficient. Perhaps I am missing something. I guess it depends on how many batteries you originally had, what type they were , and what was wired to what.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Reactions: Sdfish

seasick

Reaction score
Some model engines like the Optis on one of my boats specifically states in the manual that only starting batteries are to be used for the engines. I can attest to the fact that those Mercs are very particular about battery voltage and if that is just a tad low, the motors will crank 'normally' but the motor will not fire up. There is some sort of circuitry in the PCM that turns off the ignition if the voltage is not at or above a particular level.

The Optis, even the smaller ones, draw more starting amps than a lot of other model motors and the voltage/current characteristics of the battery are picky

Reactions: blindmullet

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

So I ended up getting a pair of these batteries, I hope they work out.

Specifications​

• Part Number24M-AGM-A
  • Group Size24
  • Cold Cranking Amps (CCA)750
  • Cranking Amps (CA)937
  • Reserve Capacity (RC)140 minutes
  • Amp Hours (Ah)70
  • Length10 1/4 inches
  • Width6 13/16 inches
  • Height8 7/8 inches
  • Termination CodeMARINE TYPE POST
  • Voltage12
  • Wet/DryD
  • TechnologyAGM
  • 1646954313808.png

Reactions: SkunkBoat

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Some model engines like the Optis on one of my boats specifically states in the manual that only starting batteries are to be used for the engines. I can attest to the fact that those Mercs are very particular about battery voltage and if that is just a tad low, the motors will crank 'normally' but the motor will not fire up. There is some sort of circuitry in the PCM that turns off the ignition if the voltage is not at or above a particular level.

The Optis, even the smaller ones, draw more starting amps than a lot of other model motors and the voltage/current characteristics of the battery are picky
The trick for the Manufacturers is to "make your own power" inside the computers. Most electronics will do just that. Where you see a Garmin unit that will run on 10 VDC to 32 VDC that is what is happening. The newer autos are no different. They need lots of power to run the computers and the fuel injection.

seasick

Reaction score
I agree with your statement in general but the PCM for the earlier Optis isn't that 'smart' The PCM is running fine but it's software disables the ignition system if voltage is slightly low which is not that hard to do on my boat for a few reasons: These engines have both fuel and air injectors. The system draws a lot of current when starting especially a cold start.
The point I was trying to make is that Mercury specifically states not to use anything other than a starting battery of 1000 MCA and 800CCA.

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I agree with your statement in general but the PCM for the earlier Optis isn't that 'smart' The PCM is running fine but it's software disables the ignition system if voltage is slightly low which is not that hard to do on my boat for a few reasons: These engines have both fuel and air injectors. The system draws a lot of current when starting especially a cold start.
The point I was trying to make is that Mercury specifically states not to use anything other than a starting battery of 1000 MCA and 800CCA.
Optics also draw voltage differently when running. If I remember correctly at idle the voltage draw is slightly more than the charge. Weak or incorrect batteries on an Opti will have you chasing ghosts...... unfortunately I have seen that ghost. Lol

seasick

Reaction score
Optics also draw voltage differently when running. If I remember correctly at idle the voltage draw is slightly more than the charge. Weak or incorrect batteries on an Opti will have you chasing ghosts...... unfortunately I have seen that ghost. Lol
Everything voltage related is quite different than the Yami motors. There are both ghosts and daemons in those Optis:)

Surely Bassey

Reaction score
I have a pair of Interstate Group 24 going on the 4th season and they both measure good.
I will say that even 2 group 24 adds a bunch of weight to the back of my 228.

Attachments

• IMG_0014.jpg
    IMG_0014.jpg
    848.6 KB · Views: 4

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm late to the party here but I typically always get my batteries from Costco, unless it's a special type of battery that they don't offer, as they generally have a 36 month warranty or return policy on them. On top of that, Costco has a fantastic return or exchange policy to begin with, so I almost always buy something from them if I can in the event that I do have an issue, that it can be returned or exchanged. The only battery I haven't bought from them was the Optima red top battery that I bought for my 1965 mustang fastback, and that was only because Costco didn't offer them, or at least didn't at the time.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I bought two energizer AGM group 31 dual purpose batteries from Costco a coupe of months ago but have only had the boat out once. I think for my needs, running down riggers pulling traps and overnight boat camping they should be fine.

Item # 140731