Immersion Suits vs Life Raft

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I've been spending lots of money on fishing stuff and electronics so I figure its time to address this issue.
I have EPIRB, PLB, InReach Sat text, 4 offshore Type 1 pfds, fully stocked ditch bag...

I'm in NJ. I routinely fish May-Nov in water that is between 50 and 75 degrees.
I do a few overnight trips out 100 miles in fantastic weather to fishing grounds that routinely have commercial/charter and recreational boats nearby. I'm not sailing to Bermuda.
Realistic expectation of rescue is under 12 hours (if I get a distress signal and position out). USCG flight time is an hour.
I am not commercial. I don't require a $4000 life raft.

So I was looking at 4 person valise rafts in the $1200-$1500 range.
Problems I see with them are;
inspection/repacking every 3 years @ $500 a popo_O
Deploying them from a sinking vessel is not so easy
You're probably get wet while getting in...
You never really KNOW if they are going to work...:rolleyes:

So then I see Mustang Universal Immersion Suits on sale $300 apiece.
For $1200 we're covered. We can remain in the boat as long as possible.
No repacking fee every 3 years.
We can actually practice abanbon ship
..hmmmm...I can make 2 of my regular fishing buddies buy their own...;)

Down side;
they'll take up more room (but weigh less)

anyway...I just order 4 suits
1615071627114.png

Reactions: Iceman2010

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Suits are great and I have 2, but I also have a 4 person lift raft on my 228. I just hate the idea of bobbing for white sharks and would rather be in a raft...

Iceman2010

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
What kind of offshore PFD you guys use, I have regular PFD, I should get them

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
So when we run at night to the tuna grounds we're usually covered in foul weather gear, 2 guys in bean bags in the back...
Just thinking how nice & toasty (and ready for anything) they will be

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
What kind of offshore PFD you guys use, I have regular PFD, I should get them
I have 4 adult offshore type 1 pfds(you should have these) , a bunch of type 2 with some smaller size, 1 auto and 1 manual inflatable type 5, and two water ski jackets, and 2 type 4 throwables.

Suits don't count as pfds because you can't wear them all the time.

Meanwhile

Reaction score
I've tried both and have a 6 person raft on top. It would need to be manually released as the boat would turtle but not activate the hydrostatic release.

I fish in colder water than you. I've done the drill of putting on the gumby suit in 60 seconds. Do it once, you will have it down. Wax the zipper, position a thin plastic bag in each leg and you are good. The plastic let's you put your shoe in and get it on fast. Some folks don't think about kicking off shoes. I doubt I could put a gumby suit on if in the water.

So in my case a raft makes sense.

seasick

Reaction score
I something happens fast, you may not have time have time to put on the suit. More importantly, I don't think it's fair to compare the two options. Each has its benefits and shortcomings.
It is also not apples to apples to compare being in the water or being in a raft. In the later case, being wet in a raft is a lot different survival situation than being dry.
Air temps and wind speeds are critical factors when in a raft. Air temps can be in many instances a lot warmer than water temps, especially in late summer. fall seasons like Long Island.

Regarding suits, immersion suits aren't worn as normal clothing, they are put on when there is imminent risk of submersion. Survival suits on the other hand, don't provide the same thermal protection but cab be worn in normal situations.

You also need to understand that survival times are generally stated in two durations; Time to immobility/loss of consciousness and time to death. The latter can be a lot longer than the former. The few friends I have who do go out long distances to fish and who travel during night hours to those fishing areas have rafts and those are automatic release devices.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I’ve seen a few Great Whites and Tigers as well as other large sharks off MD. Would rather be out of the water even if it’s for just a few hours. Also, much harder to see someone in the water from a distance.

This past Summer off Ocean City, a Boat took on water quickly and flipped over a few hundred yards away. I don’t know if they had a life raft but lucky for them, there were a ton of boats around and the guys were quickly rescued. It was intense fog that day and if they were alone and/or the weather was bad, who knows what could have happen!!!C6683DCA-318F-4F2A-84BA-F09BC00ADDD4.jpeg

Reactions: leeccoll

Fishtales

Reaction score
I have a raft. Inspection done a few times but let it go longer than recommendation. The time to find and get in the suits are the problem for me, especially in smaller boats. You likely won't have them handy if you ever need them. The valise sits mid berth and can be quickly retrieved and in the water if needed.