In the market for a new 208 Adventure

Postbri4

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Hey guys. I live in Michigan a couple miles from lake mi. Been reading the forums quite a bit here, lot of awesome helpful information. just looking for some input on my buying decision/process. I’m coming from owning a 17’ aluminum boat for the last 7 years with a 50 hp merc 2 stroke that I used primarily for trolling salmon in lake mi. Wife and kids are interested in getting something a little more family friendly. Something to do the evening cruises, pull a tube, anchor off at the beaches and all that stuff but then also be able to fish with Either myself alone, 2 people or Rarely 3 people.

From what I’ve researched, the 208 with a hardtop and the 200 i4 seems a pretty good fit: looking to buy new for all the warranty and just general peace of mind that comes with being the only owner of a boat given that I am not incredible savvy with boats/motors. I learned a lot owning my aluminum boat about outboard maintenance and trouble shooting, but prefer to leave this kind of investment to the pros as far as annual maintenance.

I will be towing and would primarily use the boat right here in my hometown but occasional trips up north or across sTate to Lake Erie/ Saginaw bay are probable. Towing rig would be a 5.7 Tundra.

storing in my driveway spring through summer then indoor heated storage with local dealer in winter.

what do u guys think abt the setup I’m thinking abt paired with abt a 50/50 split between fishing/family use?

I know it would be tight and more of a camping feel than comfortable, but is it doable to sleep in the boat for a night or 2 if the wife and I took it up the coast occasionally? Also open to just cruising up and staying in hotel if it’s that cramped. We’re pretty resilient so I’m thinking we could handle the cramped cabin just for a night or 2.

have yet to actually ride a 208 yet as local dealer has none in stock, but they are going to call me for sea trial as soon as they have one. Any lake mi boaters with a 208 that can chime in with how the boat performs?
Thanks!

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I have a 1999 Advneture 208 with a F150 yamaha. Your proposed set up is ideal. The 150 works well for me, I primarily use it in the ocean with 2-3 adults and a 38 gallon bait tank. It pushes the boat fine for me, I dont pull kids on the tube or water ski so your 200 would be better for that. I also don't have a hardtop.

The 208 is comfortable to sleep 2. You can't sleep 3 in there. It is also comfortable to cruise around in, helm seats are OK. I have a bean bag on board that gets a ton of use and lots of nap time.

I tow mine with a 6 cylinder 4x4 4runner without issue.

I came out of 17 Whaler, so the 208 is luxury for me. Best of luck!

Last edited:

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
it's a great boat for Adventure. we at one time did a trip down the entire length of the mighty St. John's River from the Atlantic to Sanford. we slept 4 in the cabin. they were our kids and it was 2009. I slept on the deck using a thermorest and our drop curtains in the rear. it's a 228,not a 208 but if you go cAmping and do it on the boat is fun from time to time.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I owned a 208. Great, heavy walk around boat that started the entire walk around revolution.

If you are getting a hardtop, then a 200 is essential.

As others have said, the cabin is small. It’s also narrow between the pedestals. I ended up removing the seat arms to be able to navigate between the seats.

billyttpd

Reaction score
agree with Parthery def get the 200 is you are running a hardtop. You can overnight two people in the cabin. It wont be the most luxurious accommodations and you might get an elbow in the back at some point but its doable. If I was to factory order a 208 it would definitely have the pulpit option. i think its just really enhances the function and appearance of the boat especially with a hardtop especially if you want to add a windlass down the road.

Postbri4

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Thanks for the replies guys. Good feedback, sounds like the 200 is a must and it should be a pretty good all around boat for my intended use. Both my wife and I are pretty thin so I’m thinking the tighter accommodations shouldn’t be too much of a problem other than just slight annoyance. I understand it’s a 20’ boat and its not going to be perfect in every aspect.

Hutchy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
From what I have seen, the 208 we have here has a cabin about the same size as my 226. My wife and I stay on ours for several days in a row frequently, and we have a 40lb dog as well. I am 6' 2", and I fit.

The dog recently has taken to sleeping on the side shelf for some reason, but she is a bit odd. I would say two people for a couple of days is not an issue, but you will be camping. Get a second deep cycle house battery and a small 12v fan if using in the summer months.

seasick

Reaction score
It will be like camping but in a really small tent. It will be in my opinion small for wife and KIDS (plural) if overnighting is desired. Also note that the 208 has a porto potty (an option) that is located between the side bunks in the cabin. When you make the bed, there are cushions that fill in the middle space. To get to the potty, you have to remove the two cushions. My point is that if you or the kids need to use the head during the night, you have to in effect unmake the bed. The potty has to be manually emptied also. There is no sink in the cabin. A fresh water option is available as a gunnel mounter sprayer. It's ok for rinsing off after a dip but as a true shower, it leaves a lot to be desired. There is no hot water option either.
Gas tank is about 80 gallons so cruising range is somewhat limited. Cabin storage is limited also. Mine is full with gear that you would normally carry such as vests and some tackle. If you are going to tow the kids, I am not sure where you will store the tube or whatever.
Look, the 208 is a great little boat but you need to get on one to judge if it will meet your needs.
Since you are thinking about spending the money for a new 208, you may want to consider something a little older but also a little bigger.

Hutchy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It will be like camping but in a really small tent. It will be in my opinion small for wife and KIDS (plural) if overnighting is desired. Also note that the 208 has a porto potty (an option) that is located between the side bunks in the cabin. When you make the bed, there are cushions that fill in the middle space. To get to the potty, you have to remove the two cushions. My point is that if you or the kids need to use the head during the night, you have to in effect unmake the bed. The potty has to be manually emptied also. There is no sink in the cabin. A fresh water option is available as a gunnel mounter sprayer. It's ok for rinsing off after a dip but as a true shower, it leaves a lot to be desired. There is no hot water option either.
Gas tank is about 80 gallons so cruising range is somewhat limited. Cabin storage is limited also. Mine is full with gear that you would normally carry such as vests and some tackle. If you are going to tow the kids, I am not sure where you will store the tube or whatever.
Look, the 208 is a great little boat but you need to get on one to judge if it will meet your needs.
Since you are thinking about spending the money for a new 208, you may want to consider something a little older but also a little bigger.

best thing to do is move the porta potty outside the cabin before turning in for the night. We have a cockpit enclosure, so that way you have privacy from both the inside of the cabin and the dock if you are tied to one. Best spot I found is directly in front of the passenger seat. I liken the space to just a bit more than a two man tent. We are pretty spartan, so understand that what seasick is saying. You are not sleeping kids and two adults in there.

Reactions: wahoo33417

Postbri4

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
best thing to do is move the porta potty outside the cabin before turning in for the night. We have a cockpit enclosure, so that way you have privacy from both the inside of the cabin and the dock if you are tied to one. Best spot I found is directly in front of the passenger seat. I liken the space to just a bit more than a two man tent. We are pretty spartan, so understand that what seasick is saying. You are not sleeping kids and two adults in there.
Understood, vast majority of time on the boat will be spent as day trips so not overnight. Just trying to get a feel for whether it will be possible maybe a couple times a year to overnight on it and it sounds like it would. Mainly fishing and cruising for the day though here.

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I have a 208 with a 250 and a ton of gear so it probably weighs as much as a 208 hardtop with a 200 :p

My tow vehicle is a 2015 Tundra with the 5.7. You won’t have an issue at all towing but trailer brakes are never a bad idea. If you go with electric over hydraulic get an aftermarket brake controller; the OEM Toyota one leaves a lot to be desired.

I enjoy my 208 and it handles well in just about any weather. if money wasn't an option I’d of course go with a 228 or maybe Express but I enjoy the easy handling of the 208 and it’s fishability for the size. If anything, as previously mentioned, the 80 gallon tank is the only limiting factor. Prop the engine correctly and run it efficiently and you’ll still get decent range.

If you can swing it get one of the new Yamahas with electronic throttle and steering. You’ll be able to plug and play the autopilot and other cool features as well.

jimever

Reaction score
I have a 208 with a 250...

Can I ask sth? In older threads here,I have read that if you repower with the maximum power the 208,there is a case to sink the stern.Have you noticed anything like this?

By the way,thank you for showing me how to search the forum from older threads...

I hope I do not spoil the thread of the friend Postbri4 and I wish him to end up buying the right boat for his needs.:)

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Can I ask sth? In older threads here,I have read that if you repower with the maximum power the 208,there is a case to sink the stern.Have you noticed anything like this?

By the way,thank you for showing me how to search the forum from older threads...

I hope I do not spoil the thread of the friend Postbri4 and I wish him to end up buying the right boat for his needs.:)

My 208 is a 2005 and I have a 2013 Suzuki DF250AP. I believe it was 2006 that Grady starting adding weight (250 lbs?) to the hulls to compensate for the heavier 4-stroke engines. My 208 was stern heavy until I added 200 lbs of sand bags in place of the porta potty. It now sits level and handles significantly better upsea. I’d recommend any of the newer 200s for a 208 as a better match to the hull.

Reactions: jimever

jimever

Reaction score
My 208 is a 2005 and I have a 2013 Suzuki DF250AP. I believe it was 2006 that Grady starting adding weight (250 lbs?) to the hulls to compensate for the heavier 4-stroke engines. My 208 was stern heavy until I added 200 lbs of sand bags in place of the porta potty. It now sits level and handles significantly better upsea. I’d recommend any of the newer 200s for a 208 as a better match to the hull.

...maybe,for a 208 made 2006 and down the best solution is a 2 stroke engine...with the 200- 225 horsepower being the best choice...

seasick

Reaction score
The inline 4 cyl -4 stroke is an ideal motor for older 208 hulls. For a new model hull and a hardtop, I might lean towards the F250 4.2L option

Reactions: jimever

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Size the engine depending on what you actually need; a good sea trial will tell you more than all of the opinions you read on a forum.

That said, even the 150 will be adequate for 80% of people if you don’t need top end and it’s propped correctly. I’d venture that very few people here with 250s on their 208s run them near WOT often at all; I have a 250, my boat is as heavy as any newer one with a hardtop (probably more with all the gear/ice), we run in sloppy water all the time, and I never use full throttle.

Even with a hardtop I’d say you’d only really benefit from the 250 if you’re running heavy often and have to cross bars or inlets and need the midrange torque to keep up speed. Even then, a 200 at WOT will have enough oomph to do what you need; just get a lower pitch prop and sacrifice some top end as the 208 hull doesn’t like 40+ mph unless the conditions are oil slick flat and towing someone on a tube at 30+ mph isn’t the best idea (don’t ask how I know).

Consider an electronic throttle/steering if you’re going brand new. You’ll love it the first time you’re maneuvering at low speed or need to hold rpms.

Koakine88

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Congrats on getting a new boat, I’m about to put a deposit down to get mine built as well.

I opted for the Yamaha 200 DEC (electronic controls). The 200 seemed to have the best fuel burn rates for most of the speeds I’d run and seems to have plenty of power to get the 208 moving. I didn’t think the 250 was worth the extra $7k.

I did not opt for the livewell or bow pulpit, as just troll lures when I fish. The hardtop is a must and I added the factory all around canvas to stay dry on the windier days.
Stay in touch, I’d be interested in how your process goes compared to mine. One custom thing I’m doing is having the glovebox covered with starboard to flushmount my electronics. I don’t like the idea of having my touchscreen chart plotter behind a clear door I have to open all the time.

seasick

Reaction score
With a hardtop, the F150 will feel powered. In the older days of the 208, the factory recommendation for a 208 with a hardtop was a 2 stroke 175
With a hardtop, full fuel, 2 adults and kids, you will feel the difference in not such a good way. As mentioned, the new 208 hulls are heavier to help balance it with the added weight of 4 stroke motors. The added weight is like adding an additional adult and a child:)