Inexpensive Oil Tank Hold-Down

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Grady White Model
Offshore
So as I was working on rebuilding the floor, I happened to take a look at the remote oil tank (boat side) hold down (Yamaha OEM) and noticed it was starting to have seen better days. Rusted, but still relatively solid -- nothing some sandpaper and paint wouldn't fix. But, I thought that maybe I should replace it anyways... Until later that night when I checked pricing -- holy cow!!! For a piece of stamped steel?!?! Nope - no way I was pulling the trigger on that. I don't mind putting money into the boat, but I prefer it to be wisely spent, not absurdly wasted. So to the back of my mind it goes - worry about it another time.

Well, the next week I happened to catch another glimpse of the oil tank -- then the battery tray -- then I looked back at the tank... Then the tray... Then the tank again. "Nah" I told myself, it can't be that simple... Can it? Yup! A $9 battery tray for a group 31 battery fits PERFECTLY! I'm OK with spending $9.. :)

Here's a picture. I can't imagine I'm the first one to think of this (I'm rarely the first one to think of ANYTHING!), but as I was searching this site (that first night) and the 'net for a less expensive option to the OEM hold down, I didn't come across this battery tray as an option. So just thought I'd share!

seasick

DennisG01 said:
So as I was working on rebuilding the floor, I happened to take a look at the remote oil tank (boat side) hold down (Yamaha OEM) and noticed it was starting to have seen better days. Rusted, but still relatively solid -- nothing some sandpaper and paint wouldn't fix. But, I thought that maybe I should replace it anyways... Until later that night when I checked pricing -- holy cow!!! For a piece of stamped steel?!?! Nope - no way I was pulling the trigger on that. I don't mind putting money into the boat, but I prefer it to be wisely spent, not absurdly wasted. So to the back of my mind it goes - worry about it another time.

Well, the next week I happened to catch another glimpse of the oil tank -- then the battery tray -- then I looked back at the tank... Then the tray... Then the tank again. "Nah" I told myself, it can't be that simple... Can it? Yup! A $9 battery tray for a group 31 battery fits PERFECTLY! I'm OK with spending $9.. :)

Here's a picture. I can't imagine I'm the first one to think of this (I'm rarely the first one to think of ANYTHING!), but as I was searching this site (that first night) and the 'net for a less expensive option to the OEM hold down, I didn't come across this battery tray as an option. So just thought I'd share!

Interesting! let us know how it works out

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Grady White Model
Offshore
I put it "in it's place" over the weekend. It holds it perfectly. Honestly, didn't think it would be a problem -- given that it's a heck of a lot lighter (even when full) than a battery. If it's good enough for a battery, it's more than qualified to the hold the oil tank.

Sorry, John! :D

lime4x4

I really don't think a battery box would work in my situation. Both my tanks sit between a blukhead and stringer. The tanks barley fit in as it is...

GradyChris

Grady White Model
Sailfish

Bump...is this the 2.5 or 5 gal tank?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Grady White Model
Offshore
Bump...is this the 2.5 or 5 gal tank?
It's the 2.5g tank. Honestly, didn't even know there was a 5g. No reason you couldn't use the eyelet/strap setup (without the tray), though. Heck, get some inexpensive PVC or fiberglass L-channel (say 1' or 1-1/2") and create a "fence" for the tank. It wouldn't have to be a full fence, either.

Last edited:

GradyChris

Grady White Model
Sailfish
Thanks both....I bought a couple Group 31 trays...see how those work...and good idea on just using the strap and eyelet if need be.
They do make a 4.8 gallon tank but pretty sure I have the 2.8 gal (the 4.8 gallon is more rectangular and I seem to reckon these being more square)
Plus my engine manual says 2.8 gal tank so unless one of the 2 previous owners swapped out the tanks at one point I'm probably good.

1998 Sailfish 272
Twin Yamaha OX225

Sketchywind

Skunk. Great idea. I bought an aftermarket stainless bracket. It’s really beefy and looks good but who’s going to see it but me. The $9 mod is better