Inexpensive Oil Tank Hold-Down

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
So as I was working on rebuilding the floor, I happened to take a look at the remote oil tank (boat side) hold down (Yamaha OEM) and noticed it was starting to have seen better days. Rusted, but still relatively solid -- nothing some sandpaper and paint wouldn't fix. But, I thought that maybe I should replace it anyways... Until later that night when I checked pricing -- holy cow!!! For a piece of stamped steel?!?! Nope - no way I was pulling the trigger on that. I don't mind putting money into the boat, but I prefer it to be wisely spent, not absurdly wasted. So to the back of my mind it goes - worry about it another time.

Well, the next week I happened to catch another glimpse of the oil tank -- then the battery tray -- then I looked back at the tank... Then the tray... Then the tank again. "Nah" I told myself, it can't be that simple... Can it? Yup! A $9 battery tray for a group 31 battery fits PERFECTLY! I'm OK with spending $9.. :)

Here's a picture. I can't imagine I'm the first one to think of this (I'm rarely the first one to think of ANYTHING!), but as I was searching this site (that first night) and the 'net for a less expensive option to the OEM hold down, I didn't come across this battery tray as an option. So just thought I'd share!

Reactions: scott1949

seasick

Reaction score
DennisG01 said:
So as I was working on rebuilding the floor, I happened to take a look at the remote oil tank (boat side) hold down (Yamaha OEM) and noticed it was starting to have seen better days. Rusted, but still relatively solid -- nothing some sandpaper and paint wouldn't fix. But, I thought that maybe I should replace it anyways... Until later that night when I checked pricing -- holy cow!!! For a piece of stamped steel?!?! Nope - no way I was pulling the trigger on that. I don't mind putting money into the boat, but I prefer it to be wisely spent, not absurdly wasted. So to the back of my mind it goes - worry about it another time.

Well, the next week I happened to catch another glimpse of the oil tank -- then the battery tray -- then I looked back at the tank... Then the tray... Then the tank again. "Nah" I told myself, it can't be that simple... Can it? Yup! A $9 battery tray for a group 31 battery fits PERFECTLY! I'm OK with spending $9.. :)

Here's a picture. I can't imagine I'm the first one to think of this (I'm rarely the first one to think of ANYTHING!), but as I was searching this site (that first night) and the 'net for a less expensive option to the OEM hold down, I didn't come across this battery tray as an option. So just thought I'd share!

Interesting! let us know how it works out

lime4x4

Reaction score
Sure now u tell me after i spent over 200 bucks for stainless steel oil tank holders..

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I put it "in it's place" over the weekend. It holds it perfectly. Honestly, didn't think it would be a problem -- given that it's a heck of a lot lighter (even when full) than a battery. If it's good enough for a battery, it's more than qualified to the hold the oil tank.

Sorry, John! :D

lime4x4

Reaction score
I really don't think a battery box would work in my situation. Both my tanks sit between a blukhead and stringer. The tanks barley fit in as it is...

1998sailfish

Reaction score
While you have that tank out................change the small inline filter near the transfer pump. Cheap insurance to avoid an issue at the worst moment. :wink:

GradyChris

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish

Bump...is this the 2.5 or 5 gal tank?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Bump...is this the 2.5 or 5 gal tank?
It's the 2.5g tank. Honestly, didn't even know there was a 5g. No reason you couldn't use the eyelet/strap setup (without the tray), though. Heck, get some inexpensive PVC or fiberglass L-channel (say 1' or 1-1/2") and create a "fence" for the tank. It wouldn't have to be a full fence, either.

Last edited:

GradyChris

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks both....I bought a couple Group 31 trays...see how those work...and good idea on just using the strap and eyelet if need be.
They do make a 4.8 gallon tank but pretty sure I have the 2.8 gal (the 4.8 gallon is more rectangular and I seem to reckon these being more square)
Plus my engine manual says 2.8 gal tank so unless one of the 2 previous owners swapped out the tanks at one point I'm probably good.

1998 Sailfish 272
Twin Yamaha OX225

SeaVee

Reaction score
I made a U-shaped platform out of some old starboard I had laying around set the tank in that and used a Stainless steal tie down that I had laying around.

Attachments

• F10C8DC1-CB55-4F1D-95FA-3543052732C0.jpeg
    F10C8DC1-CB55-4F1D-95FA-3543052732C0.jpeg
    657.2 KB · Views: 24

Sketchywind

Reaction score
Skunk. Great idea. I bought an aftermarket stainless bracket. It’s really beefy and looks good but who’s going to see it but me. The $9 mod is better