Is SeaTow Membership Worth the Price?

jdsmith

Reaction score
I am considering getting a membership through SeaTow. My local fishing grounds range from the mouth of the Potomac in the Chesapeake Bay to the mouth of the York River down to the CBBT and off Virginia Beach. How is the service in these areas? Anyone have experiences with SeaTow in these areas? Pros and cons? Thanks.

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
IMHO, I would not leave port or be on the water without it. I have sea tow and tow boat u.s., cost is $300 for the year, one tow can cost twice that amount depending on where you are and the circumstances. I have not had to use it thank goodness, but have all the confidence in the world that one of them will be able to assist me quickly if needed. Towboat and boat us make a habit of hanging around trouble spots as well, shallows, sand bars, ect know in the area. Not sure about your area but I would assume they are pretty much the same.

Just give you an example of a guy who recently grounded and damaged his outdrive, in my area and had no tow ins, and no one could get in to help him, the towboat guy showed up and told him he could pull him off for $200 just to pull him off..

as far a s service I listen to ch16 and usually switch to the channel that the tow guys tells the captain in trouble to change to and listen to the exchange, and they are always courteous, professional and fast.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think you need some type of towing membership regardless of the number of engines. There are other problems that aren't engine related that can leave you stranded. Even though I have Towboat US both services in my area have great reputations and I don't think you'd go wrong with either. It's probably the best $10 per month I spend.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
With my 20 footer, same as Op has, when I would get grounded I would jump out and pull it off myself, also had two anchors for such use, would do a Roy Rogers and toss it ahead, then pull boat ahead, and do it again.

When I had the twin Johnnies, came back home on one motor more than once, no insurance, didn't need it.

Don't see what else is at issue on twins? Disabled physically, fine then.

If you loose both engines on a twin, you deserve to be hit with big bill.

When I had the single, the longest distance breakdown could occurr - occurred, when OMC POS 20 buck ignition sw shorted out, cost me $350 tow.

Didn't happen again for all these years, so it's a risk assessment, cost me more looking back to have the insurance so I dropped it on twins, the money banked for 10 yrs will now pay for anything once, and then some. Each additional year I'm making out more not having insurance on the twins. I can't loose. If it happens once, I'm still ahead, but will get the insurance for then on.
So not having insurance now pays me 10 bucks a month for doing nothing, no membership required. I like that.

Hail Coast Guard and they will get you in touch with commercial tower, if there is none to come, Coast Guard will come, it's their job to begin with.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm thinking of something like electrical problems when you're 30 or 40 miles offshore. It doesn't matter how many engines you have if none will start.

It all boils down to the risk one is willing to take. Peace of mind for $10 per month is worth it for me -- that's all I'm saying. I maintain my boat and have never needed a tow but I like the fact they're there when you need them.

The Coast Guard doesn't tow unless you are in danger. BobP is correct that they will call a commercial tow for you but they won't pay the bill :D .

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Since one of the most prevelant problems with boats today is related to bad fuel, unless you the run the engines off seperate fuel tanks I would get the towing even with twins.

I have my tow membership through Boat/US which allows you to tailor your coverage based on your usage. If you are generally nearshore buy the lesser limits. If you venture far and wide then go for the unlimited coverage. Kinda like managing your risk with deductables.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Boat US has good insurance coverages and rates for your hull as well. Their new fishing boat policy covers your gear too. Mine is about $450 a year, and it's coverage on declared value, not something you have to negotiate if you have a loss.

The basic tow service is included - $50 worth. Prolly good to bring you a couple of gallons of gas.

For another $50-$60 you get the higher coverage and then they have the unlimited coverage.

Generally people are happy with the service. I can't speak for your specific area tho.

Capt. Ed

Reaction score
Tow Insurance

Everyone should have it. And if you decide not to, don't be offended when I don't offer to tow you back.

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
The going rate right now for use of a tow service if you're not a member is about $200 per hour from the time the tow boat leaves the dock until it gets back to the dock. I'm not familiar enough with the original poster's boating area, so, for example, if you're 30 miles from your home port, you can figure that's going to cost around $1000

0.25 hours to leave the dock and exit the marina
1.5 hours to get to you from port (figuring a 20 knot cruise)
3.0 hours to get towed back in (assuming you can get towed at 10 knots, could be longer)
0.25 hours to drop you off and return to the dock
Total of 5 hours.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
It is kind of like American Express, don't leave port without it. I live 5 hours away from the ocean and have Sea Tow. I dont have AAA for my car, then again I can always walk if something happens (lol). It is worth having it for my piece of mind. The beauty is if you trailer your boat like we do, I am covered where ever we go.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Depends on how far you steam from home port, if that's where you want to be towed to, up to whatever distance limit the service will tow. For me it was a $350 bill, for you it may be $2000 bucks. Doesn't take long in savings to bank the $350 amount for a future event, then pocket the rest.

I don't do that with my car since I routinely travel 100 miles at a clip, so I have the AAA 100 mile deal. The AAA will not only take my car home, but I have to get home too, so I get the ride too. Without the AAA, the price quoted by a local yokel will be the sky, especially on Sundays and holidays, if you can get anyone at all. Been there done that. No position to negotiate either. So it's not just economics. Can't hail the Coast Guard on the road.

My electrical systems are purposely isolated for such twin redundancy, I'll never Command Link them, but yes, anything could happen.
For me now with twins even if anything happens worst case say up $1K tow (easily covers my range), I'm still ahead paying cash outright from the banked 10 yr so far kitty. Only once. After that one time, next time it will hit me so will acquire insurance following first event, if it ever occurs.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
BobP said:
Depends on how far you steam from home port, if that's where you want to be towed to, up to whatever distance limit the service will tow. For me it was a $350 bill, for you it may be $2000 bucks. Doesn't take long in savings to bank the $350 amount for a future event, then pocket the rest.

>snip...

I wasn't real clear on this, but I think you are saying you don't pay for the coverage, you pay the tow yourself and within a few short years you're money ahead.

If that's the case I tend to agree. In my 40 years of boating we were towed in once, and that was 35 years ago, way up into Canada in the Gulf Islands, when Dad hit a submerged log with our cruiser and our friends towed us 25 miles into port. At that time there was no tow services, and we were way the hell up there where I doubt there's even any there today. Knock on wood, I have never had to be towed in with any of my own boats. Not to say we've never broken down, but have always been able to get going ourselves.

Onoeric is close to us out here on the west coast, and he does make a point - if you're out to the islands here off our coast and have to be towed in - would likely be a grand.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
That's right, that's how I se it with twins.

And the most likely reason for a tow is bad motor. Two bad motors? never heard of it.

For 10 bucks a month to avoid the $1K single motor breakdown - makes sense.

jaydub

Reaction score
Guess I wouldn't care if I had three motors; I'd still have Sea Tow. All it takes is one bad tank of fuel or your batteries crap out and you're SOL. Never had to use Sea Tow and I've never made a claim on my boat insurance but I sure wouldn't cancel it and roll the dice. Sea Tow is cheap insurance and peace of mind for me.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Actually it's 20 bucks per month, unless you consider 10 bucks per month towing ins. for the 6 months the boat sits on blocks in driveway up north here.

Another consideration with cell phones around these days, you may have a buddy or two to come out and get you, as long as you stay relatively withing range.

Seen this several times, with singles breaking down, one breakdown was a starter solenoid on an inboard quit, guy said he would never have a single again, other was oil got into a starter on an inboard.

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
BobP said:
Seen this several times, with singles breaking down, one breakdown was a starter solenoid on an inboard quit, guy said he would never have a single again, other was oil got into a starter on an inboard.

That reminds me of a benefit of outboards... It is possible to pull start a warm Yamaha 175 SWS using a dock line wrapped around the fly wheel. Don't ask me how I know this... :lol: