Is this to low ?

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Wise move I think. The fact that the transom is wet it indicates that the boat lived in the water at times. My old boat was the same age as that one and the transom was totally dry but was never kept in the water, she was on a lift on a lake in GA all her life before I bought her.
It maybe very common for GW's to have wet transoms and probably most old boats when they are kept in the water but it is not common for boats kept on trailers or dry stacks. A lot of people don't take care to seal any holes they drill when installing stuff or even screw stall, like transducers etc..
Keep looking, I'm sure you will find the right boat sooner or later. Another option maybe to buy a boat with original engine and re-power at some stage. Boats with 2 strokes are much cheaper that 4 st, winter is coming, it should be harder to sell boats in the northern states.

Last edited:

Kabitz60

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE
Wise move I think. The fact that the transom is wet it indicates that the boat lived in the water at times. My old boat was the same age as that one and the transom was totally but was never kept in the water, she was on a lift on a lake in GA all her life before I bought her.
It maybe very common for GW's to have wet transoms and probably most old boats when they are kept in the water but it is not common for boats kept on trailers or dry stacks. A lot of people don't take care to seal any holes they drill when installing stuff or even screw stall, like transducers etc..
Keep looking, I'm sure you will find the right boat sooner or later. Another option maybe to buy a boat with original engine and re-power at some stage. Boats with 2 strokes are much cheaper that 4 st, winter is coming, it should be harder to sell boats in the northern states.
Thank you

seasick

Reaction score
Just to add my 2 cents ( again:))
A wet translon is not necessarily a deal breaker. Core rot, delamination or structural damage is a different story. The amount of moisture and it location are important factors. Take the case where someone left some screw holes in the inside of the transom ( in the bilge). Maybe they replaced a pump or ran new wires and removed cable clamps. Now suppose that bilge is wet and maybe standing water is present that floods those screw holes. Over time the coring will absorb some water. That moisture can show up on a moisture survey.
Local rot that is limited to a small area can often be easily fixed ( like around a garboard drain fitting or an engine bolt

A boat that has been in the water and just hauled for a survey may give false positive readings for moisture. Hulls that sat on the hard for extended periods of time can give false negative readings. Cored hull components like transoms that have a hollow core ( totally rotted away coring) can test perfectly OK for moisture as will a soaked transom that is frozen.

efx

Reaction score
Model
Islander
That boat looks good for the age. I would weigh it and sea trial it. Then make a better decision.

igblack87

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
Just saw this boat posted on a Grady White facebook group - $54k?

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Just seeing this (I think, I feel like I've said this already), not sure how the 1999 228s were built, my 2020 drains to the outside for everything except under gunnel rod holders and the cup holders in the rear.

Yes, even with just two people at the back, you get water coming in through the scuppers. When I didn't know I was doing that freaked me out, now I just try and keep my shoes out of it. I don't know about earlier years but if my boat is anything like your boat, it's gonna get you home. That's why I went with Grady, they are over built and safe. At least the modern ones.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Because of the weight of the kicker motor on the starboard side, when fishing from that side (standing in the back corner ) I get water coming in the drain on that side.. While fishing I use an oversized stransome drain plug, the rubber expandable ones, then remove them once underway. Do not mind wet feet so much in the summer, but fall and winter fishing wet can chill the toes. I have older drain flaps so not sure if new ones would make a difference.

Reactions: PointedRose

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Because of the weight of the kicker motor on the starboard side, when fishing from that side (standing in the back corner ) I get water coming in the drain on that side.. While fishing I use an oversized stransome drain plug, the rubber expandable ones, then remove them once underway. Do not mind wet feet so much in the summer, but fall and winter fishing wet can chill the toes. I have older drain flaps so not sure if new ones would make a difference.

Grady wanted me to mount the kicker on the port side, I did not because the batteries, both of them, are there. I mounted on starboard as well and it balances out just fine.

Reactions: PointedRose

franklink

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
FWIW. My neighbor has the ping pong ball scuppers and hates them with a passion. They get fouled constantly and leave him with inches of water in the cockpit when they stick. His boat is wet slipped, 21 Mako.
Agreed. Those things are total garbage. Have fun cleaning them weekly.

Reactions: Kabitz60

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
lucky, working on trying to figure out how to get both batteries to the port side, which would certainly help with balance. Will have to move the fuel filter and my wash down pump. Even then I'm not sure of the fit. Would then go to sealed batteries as I could not access the 2nd battery without pulling out the first one. Plus extending pos and neg cables to reach the port side etc.. Will approach that issue when I bring the boat home the end of Sept.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
lucky, working on trying to figure out how to get both batteries to the port side, which would certainly help with balance. Will have to move the fuel filter and my wash down pump. Even then I'm not sure of the fit. Would then go to sealed batteries as I could not access the 2nd battery without pulling out the first one. Plus extending pos and neg cables to reach the port side etc.. Will approach that issue when I bring the boat home the end of Sept.
Working in those spaces is not for the faint of heart. I installed a battery tender and a circuit breaker in there, not a lot of space. I can take pics of mine if that helps.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
My 2013 228G has both batteries and the raw water pump fitted on the port side from factory and I believe all boats fitted originally with 4 strokes are the same. I fitted a bigger raw water pump , it is tight bit everything fits fine. You do have to remove the outer most battery to get to the inner but that will only be when you change batteries. The fuel filter and fresh water pump are on the starboard side.
My old boat originally 2 stroke, had one battery on each side and the oil tank on the port side.

1630107540668.jpeg

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Why did you upgrade the raw water pump? Whatever they put in the 2020 228 takes a bit to spin up when it hasn't been used for a while but then it is good to go for the rest of the trip.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I installed a bigger pump with more pressure for 2 reasons. The extra volume and pressure makes it easier to clean the blood and shoot it at the birds when they eat my pillies that are meant for BFT.
No problem with the original worked well.
The pump you see in the picture served me well, I removed it from my old boat so about 9 years old.

seasick

Reaction score
Why did you upgrade the raw water pump? Whatever they put in the 2020 228 takes a bit to spin up when it hasn't been used for a while but then it is good to go for the rest of the trip.
Does it actually 'spin' slower at startup or does it just take time to get the water flowing? The later case is normal since the pump may need to prime. You might also try an experiment; open the fresh water nozzle before powering the pump the first time. I am curious what you see and or hear

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Lucky , so you have 2 batterie on one side? Do you use sealed batteries? I find I need to add juice occasionally to the batteries so would have to pull one out to get at the other, Certainly would appreciate a pic of yours lucky. wrxhoon I am guessing the space in the stern hatch is the same on the 228 and the 208. Could they both be installed both facing bow to stern lengthwise? Thanks for the photo it will encourage me to get it done this fall.

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
Trapper,
On my 208 the batteries are oriented parallel to the keel. I think that is what you are asking when referring to bow to stern lengthwise. They are size 24s. I don't think 27s would fit.

My batteries are sealed, flooded type. If they weren't sealed I had to add water, I might be able to do so but wouldn't be able to see the levels Not a lot of room in that locker.

Last edited:

rprieser

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Sounds like a great boat, the DF250 is a perfect engine for that boat. If you look at the weight differences between the 200, 225, 250 HP there isn’t that much difference as they all use the same block. The advantage of extra HP is not going faster but going the same speed with a heavy load & it sounds like that is what you will be doing. Down side is using little more fuel.
The one thing that did concern me was your comment about couple soft spots in the transom — there are two types of older Grady White owners: ones that have rebuilt their transom and those who will. Also make sure the fuel cell is solid. Enjoy!!

wrxhoon

Reaction score
wrxhoon I am guessing the space in the stern hatch is the same on the 228 and the 208. Could they both be installed both facing bow to stern lengthwise? Thanks for the photo it will encourage me to get it done this fall.
I wouldn't know if 208 has the same space as the 228, I thought you had a 228G. I wouldn't fit a non sealed battery on my of my boats these days. Actually not even on any cars that I own.
Not sure but I don't think you can fit them both lengthways bow to stern unless you use smaller batteries.