It’s official… we’ve got some blood on the deck!

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Launched the boat and put her on the buoy yesterday afternoon without so much as a hiccup. Set my alarm for 5:25 this morning to go out fishing, was out on the boat around 6, fishing and ready to go by 6:30 and limited out by 7. Back to the cabin by 7:30 to clean the fish, make some breakfast and take a nap. Almost 30” chinook salmon, probably around 10-12 lbs or so. Great morning of fishing, being on the boat, enjoying the weather and finally getting some blood on the deck.

2B1BD4CD-DAD6-4A9C-A705-A96DB00BF8C7.jpeg840E7A2D-30F5-4EE6-A31F-65362160DB82.jpegD43361FA-A207-483F-8E9D-59A291F64168.jpegC9ADD847-E316-4D4F-A9E1-3469709C3ACE.png

sturgstev

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Same boat and year as yours.

I have it easy - stays in a slip at the marina in San Rafael year round.

Caught some like yours on a party boat.

Still waiting for the salmon to arrive north of the GGB in decent numbers - they are late this year.

How do you get on the 228 when at the buoy? physically as well besides using a dingie.

I learned from this forum that I cannot do any trailering. So my trailer is history.

Sturg

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Same boat and year as yours.

I have it easy - stays in a slip at the marina in San Rafael year round.

Caught some like yours on a party boat.

Still waiting for the salmon to arrive north of the GGB in decent numbers - they are late this year.

How do you get on the 228 when at the buoy? physically as well besides using a dingie.

I learned from this forum that I cannot do any trailering. So my trailer is history.

Sturg
Around here when the tide is low it can go out over a hundred yards or more, and it can be pretty soupy in the process of walking out there. So, when it’s a high tide, I usually take the dinghy out and then climb on from the transom bracket as it sits much lower in the water. When it’s a low tide, instead of dragging a 12’ dinghy all the way out there like I used to, I’ll drag out my kayak which I think weighs 45 lbs and typically climb in over the side of the boat as it’s nice to have some leverage when climbing in and out of the kayak.

Reactions: blindmullet

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Didn’t go out yesterday morning as the wind was blowing probably 15-20 mph and had some whitecaps out there. Went out this morning with a buddy and almost felt like deja vu with catching a 10-12 lb chinook within the first 20 minutes. Bloody decks times two!

F8D510B8-A9EF-41BF-AA30-2EE64788F86E.jpeg

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Great to hear you have been successful with your Seafarer, we just got back from Nootka Sound with limits of coho and a few springs. We live in a great part of the world where we can catch dinner.

Attachments

• F54A146A-4C6C-435E-9C12-4301A3449E52.jpeg
    F54A146A-4C6C-435E-9C12-4301A3449E52.jpeg
    514.8 KB · Views: 24

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yes, the Spring fishing has been great the opening week of the season here in Comox. Flat water, sunshine and easy daily limits. My 50th year fishing the east and west coast of Vancouver Island. This is the centre of the universe.......and I have had the privilege of living here. Feel bad for you guys who are not quite at the centre......although some may be existing on the fringe. :D

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hey Trapper, it’s great to hear good fishing reports for the local area around the Comox Valley, I haven’t wetted a line locally yet as I‘ve been busy completing and painting the new (boat) shop that I built this year but hopefully the 2 spring limit will kick in August 1st

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Great to hear you have been successful with your Seafarer, we just got back from Nootka Sound with limits of coho and a few springs. We live in a great part of the world where we can catch dinner.
That’s awesome and pretty ironic as a couple of my buddies just left for Nootka Sound yesterday morning and will be up there for most of the week.

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That’s awesome and pretty ironic as a couple of my buddies just left for Nootka Sound yesterday morning and will be up there for most of the week.
Their arrival in Nootka may be perfect timing for the arrival of the famous Conuma River chinook run. The springs were very spotty for us on the inside last week, I hope they do well. There are lots of WN registered boats in Nootka waters over the summer.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Their arrival in Nootka may be perfect timing for the arrival of the famous Conuma River chinook run. The springs were very spotty for us on the inside last week, I hope they do well. There are lots of WN registered boats in Nootka waters over the summer.
My buddy asked me if I wanted to go and at first he said that I needed to bring my boat, but then said I could go fishing on their boat with them or the other boat that was going along as well. I said absolutely no way am I going to bring my boat up to an unfamiliar place to go fishing on its second time out. He then said I didn't need to bring the boat but that it was going to cost all in all about $2k for total expenses and I figured that I just spent $1,600 on new electronics, so why spend an extra $2k to go fishing when I can essentially fish in front of my beach cabin on Whidbey Island for free? Never been to Nootka Sound before, and think it would be a ton of fun to go up there and go fishing at some point, just wasn't in the cards this year and didn't want to spend almost $2k to then potentially get skunked. Of which, my parents actually went up around this time a year or two ago and did get skunked because it was raining like crazy the night they got in. If the fishing around here wasn't very good then I'd have definitely considered it a bit more than I did.

sturgstev

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Don:

When I was at Campbell River I keep looking at the map to Tahsis and wanted to drive there to see it. Next time i go to BC I will need to go to Nootka Island Lodge and fish there.

Did you take your boat there by trailer to Gold River and then boat over to Nootka Sound?. That would sound like an an adventure.

steve

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My dad finished at ootka and said tons of coho, couple springs just like you. They did manage to get out for some bottom fish. I missed out this year, its such a nice area to fish.
Considering going a week later next year as this the second consecutive year that chinook have been hard to come by for us. Normal year the whole family takes 4 chinook home (sometimes ten of us through camp).

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My buddy asked me if I wanted to go and at first he said that I needed to bring my boat, but then said I could go fishing on their boat with them or the other boat that was going along as well. I said absolutely no way am I going to bring my boat up to an unfamiliar place to go fishing on its second time out. He then said I didn't need to bring the boat but that it was going to cost all in all about $2k for total expenses and I figured that I just spent $1,600 on new electronics, so why spend an extra $2k to go fishing when I can essentially fish in front of my beach cabin on Whidbey Island for free? Never been to Nootka Sound before, and think it would be a ton of fun to go up there and go fishing at some point, just wasn't in the cards this year and didn't want to spend almost $2k to then potentially get skunked. Of which, my parents actually went up around this time a year or two ago and did get skunked because it was raining like crazy the night they got in. If the fishing around here wasn't very good then I'd have definitely considered it a bit more than I did.
I had a accident with my truck last year so i ran my seafarer from vancouver to nootka, trailered across to campbell and home with a load of fish a week later. Its definately worth a look. Last year in 4 days i pulled 4 chinook, 2 halibut, 3 lingcod, 4 rock fish and the fishing buddy had similar numbers.

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Don:

When I was at Campbell River I keep looking at the map to Tahsis and wanted to drive there to see it. Next time i go to BC I will need to go to Nootka Island Lodge and fish there.

Did you take your boat there by trailer to Gold River and then boat over to Nootka Sound?. That would sound like an an adventure.

steve
Gold river launch is good, its a little over an hour to the campgrounds, resorts inside nootka sound. Would be 2 hours to to outside in good weather The gravel roads a notoriously bad so most big boats launch in gold river.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I had a accident with my truck last year so i ran my seafarer from vancouver to nootka, trailered across to campbell and home with a load of fish a week later. Its definately worth a look. Last year in 4 days i pulled 4 chinook, 2 halibut, 3 lingcod, 4 rock fish and the fishing buddy had similar numbers.
It definitely sounds like a lot of fun and a place that I’ll definitely have to visit at some point. That being said, I’ve caught chinook both times that I’ve gone out fishing so far this year and although they’re only about 10-12 lbs a piece and aren’t jumbos, it’s still fish on the deck and for 3-4 gallons of fuel. My buddy who is going to NS said it’s over $2 a liter up there, which is over $6 a gallon US and each of their boats have close to 100 gallon tanks. I think they’re going to be fishing for 4 days and have to imagine they’ll fill up at least twice, which the dollar meter just seemed to keep going up and up. Like I said, definitely a place I’d love to check out and go at least once, but with all of the extra costs for fuel and everything else as well and the chinook not even really being in yet? I can catch coho here just fine and for much less money.

sturgstev

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I made my first trip to BC in 1976 and looked at the map and saw that Ucleulet and Torfino they looked like the end of the world in the Pacific. I drove over there and again did no fishing. It was an amazing place then and the drive there was breathtaking. I was a NY' ER not long before that so the west compared to the east is a big difference.

I feel like Mustang and stay pretty close to home fishing wise and fish in SF Bay for halibut and out the gate to the North side near Stinson beach for salmon, halibut and rock and lings.. Have managed to catch five salmon this season on a party boat on multiple trips. About ready to head out the gate for a smoker.

Gas ain't cheep in California and a trip out the GGB uses at least thirty five gallons. As I tell myself the cost of a nursing home for myself will cost more and not be as much fun.

Keep fishin

steve

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Gold river launch is good, its a little over an hour to the campgrounds, resorts inside nootka sound. Would be 2 hours to to outside in good weather The gravel roads a notoriously bad so most big boats launch in gold river.
As Doug228 mentioned most people drive to the mouth of the Gold River on pavement to launch their boats and then run for 40 minutes at 31 mph due west out Muchalat Inlet to Nootka Sound. We stay at a float cabin in 3 bay cove just behind camel rock. The Sound is a great place to fish in itself but you can run out past the Friendly Cove lighthouse for outside fishing. I have only been fishing there for the last 12 years but it’s my favourite place for the numerous fishing opportunities. I’ll attach a picture when I can AirDrop from my other iPad from last year out at the outer Bajo reef whistle buoy which is about 6 miles off Nootka Island, it was flat calm and no wind

Last edited:

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Check out Flynns Cove out by the Nuchatlitz Islands. Very reasonable cabin rentals, great folk that own and operate it. Boat access only, but great fishing kayaking and some very cool small sandy beaches for swimming, just minutes away from the cabins. It is bring your own boat and guide yourself into the spectacular beauty of our west coast. We put in at Gold River and enjoy a beautiful (take your time) boat trip 2-3 hours to the Cove. We have missed going the last few years but we are planning a trip in the near future.

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Here’s the picture off the outer Bajo Reef whistle buoy off Nootka Sound taken last summer

Attachments

• 3B95746D-4E61-4683-AAC4-298A6F33A986.jpeg
    3B95746D-4E61-4683-AAC4-298A6F33A986.jpeg
    240.4 KB · Views: 13